Sign in to follow this  
CthulhuTheGreat

Imperial Knights Armor Recolor

Would any of talented modders here be up for the task of recoloring this vibrant red armor either into a simple dark grey armor or into a less vibrant red and more orange-red closer to the Imperial Knights from the comics. 

The original mod: 

https://www.gamefront.com/games/knights-of-the-old-republic-ii/file/imperial-knight 

Pictures from the Legacy comic:  

e1ffbe50fda3fbdd3ddac7201a05ec8b.jpg 

e911c7a7-4ea0-4d9d-af82-e9fb783560a2_kno

8178823991491cce30e70eb0bad6c758.jpg 

This sort of thing can pretty much be done at the click of a single button in GIMP.

Perhaps try it for yourself to get the result you are looking for.

Personally I think the red matches the latter two images you have shown as reference and that the first image only looks to be orange due to being poor quality.

Thor110

simple.png

Edit :

You can also use "Rotate Colors" after selecting an area of the image you are modifying.

There is also a way to quickly select a range of colours but currently I can't remember how.

rotate.png

Edited by Thor110
Rotate Colors

Thanks! I'll give it a try! 

Just one question, if I were to make a grey one similar to the picture below, would I need to change the color or would just dropping down the saturation do the job?: 

325397_orig.jpg 

I see that you've actually made it dark grey and black, but for the life of me I can't figure out how exactly you've achieved that. 

Or if you were willing to publish it as a file, I'd certainly be immensely grateful to you. : ) 

Edit: 

I've actually managed to do something here (a bit darker grey, color name #363636). 

I'll convert it back from XCF to TGA and see if it works. Thanks a lot for your help! 

Screenshot (8).png

3 hours ago, CthulhuTheGreat said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try! 

Just one question, if I were to make a grey one similar to the picture below, would I need to change the color or would just dropping down the saturation do the job?: 

325397_orig.jpg 

I see that you've actually made it dark grey and black, but for the life of me I can't figure out how exactly you've achieved that. 

Or if you were willing to publish it as a file, I'd certainly be immensely grateful to you. : ) 

Edit: 

I've actually managed to do something here (a bit darker grey, color name #363636). 

I'll convert it back from XCF to TGA and see if it works. Thanks a lot for your help! 

Screenshot (8).png

The red boxes in the images I posted outline the exact instructions to follow to achieve the same result.

I also don't have permission to post a modified version of their texture.

It's also easier to simply help everyone learn to follow basic instructions.

Colors -> Colorize -> Colorizer -> Color

or

Colors -> Map -> Rotate Colors

Simply open the .tga file, follow the instructions, then click File - > Overwrite original file.

p.s. if you are colour blind, perhaps you could take a test and find out which version so that I can colour the boxes green, blue or yellow accordingly.

Otherwise text instructions are there now too. In the format of

Button to press -> Button to press -> Button to press.

• Like 1

Got it now! 

I've only done the first approach with colorize options and for the purpose of making a grey armor it worked just fine, as it only slightly darkened the blacks which I planned to keep black anyway. I'll also play with the map and rotate color section to see what I can get that way.  

I don't think I'm colorblind, although it may be questionable after thinking that the comics' red was of a different shade, lol. 

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. It is much appreciated! 

Edit: Yup, I get it now. I made the orange one for fun. (I am yet to figure out how to make a grey this way, but I'm getting the grasp of this). Thank you very much! 

Screenshot (12).png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CthulhuTheGreat said:

Got it now! 

I've only done the first approach with colorize options and for the purpose of making a grey armor it worked just fine, as it only slightly darkened the blacks which I planned to keep black anyway. I'll also play with the map and rotate color section to see what I can get that way.  

I don't think I'm colorblind, although it may be questionable after thinking that the comics' red was of a different shade, lol. 

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. It is much appreciated! 

Edit: Yup, I get it now. I made the orange one for fun. (I am yet to figure out how to make a grey this way, but I'm getting the grasp of this). Thank you very much! 

Screenshot (12).png

Just thought I would check incase the redboxes were grey though given that you are interpreting the initial reds, I should have taken note of that myself lol

Awesome! Yeah, it's quick and simple, kind of dirty to do it either way, which is why I showed a follow up method where you could highlight or cut out the exact areas you wanted to alter using the selection tools

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Just thought I would check incase the redboxes were grey though given that you are interpreting the initial reds, I should have taken note of that myself lol

Awesome! Yeah, it's quick and simple, kind of dirty to do it either way, which is why I showed a follow up method where you could highlight or cut out the exact areas you wanted to alter using the selection tools 

It is quick and simple when you have a good teacher. : ) 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CthulhuTheGreat said:

It is quick and simple when you have a good teacher. : ) 

Thanks, the internet was my teacher!

Seeing as this has helped without much trouble, I will make sure to copy and repost the instructions in my thread [TUTORIAL] - KotOR Modding Tutorial Series - Tutorials - Deadly Stream

Hopefully it will help someone else one day.

• Like 1