Guest Plastic

Age of Empires Online

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to play AOEO?

• Yes, it looks good\okay.
    • No, I think it looks terrible.
    • No, I don't care for RTS.

Guest Plastic

I was a beta tester for AOEO, and I think it looks awsome.

The graphics are "childish" to some people, but it grows on you, and the gameplay more than makes up for it. Best of all, the base game is FREE!!!!!

The Game launches August 16th...

I'll most likely be there.

More info:

http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/

Youtube Channel showing awsome gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/user/iLoveAOEonline

Please don't judge it before you see it.

Guest Crixler

I was a tester for that as well. It's pretty awesome.

I just wish they had let us try the Egyptians more. They were only available for a short time :|

Oh well, it won't be too much longer before it's officially released.

Guest Plastic

I was a tester for that as well. It's pretty awesome.

Glad to see I am not alone here. :-D

I'm looking forward to seeing the Egyptians too!

Guest shinsetsuna

Well, the game itself looks interesting. I dont have big issues with the new art since Ive seen something similar before already with Zeus and Poseidon. I also hate it when gaming companies put a higher priority in making the game look awesome and less attention to bugs and errors that actually affect gameplay. They arent forcing you to pay to play it as well, and its always a plus when they let you have a taste of the game before you lay down the cash. AoE has also always made a good job with the unit match ups and corrected the times they got it wrong (French Paldin rush in AoE 2, anyone?)

Thats the good. Now for the bad. First, you MUST have Internet to play it, and I knew this would be the direction the genere would take ever since Starcraft 2 came out (Blizzard can drop dead for that). Now dont get me wrong, all Im saying is that the option of offline play should be there. I dont see why I have to be forced to have an internet connection when I want to play against the AI and I have yet to hear a good reason for it, especially since sometimes whether I have internet connection or not isnt exactly up to me...

Secondly is balance issues, especially with the premium packs. Im veeeeeery skeptical about this "cant buy your way to the top" cliche. Heard it plenty of times, never seen it actually done. Still, they might be the exception, so it all depends on how they handle things when the game goes live. Im not really holding my breath on that one, though...

I think its worth a try, but to me its 50/50 whether it will be a worthwhile game

Guest Gaminglord28

Please tell me this doesn't mean there won't be an AoE 4... Either way, you'll definitely see me on AoEO.

Guest Plastic

Please tell me this doesn't mean there won't be an AoE 4... Either way, you'll definitely see me on AoEO.

I hope this isn't the last AOE we'll see, but what would an AoE 4 be about? Could they take the AoE RTS Formula and translate it into WW1, WW2, and modern day? If they change too much, fans will flame them. (see Command and Conquer 4, the reaction to that by fans was for the most part negative)

Anyway, back to the subject of AOEO:

Hidden behind the graphics choice is a fantastic game, that I fear is missed by the "What were they thinking putting childish graphics!?!?!" crowd.

Guest Gaminglord28

I hope this isn't the last AOE we'll see, but what would an AoE 4 be about? Could they take the AoE RTS Formula and translate it into WW1, WW2, and modern day? If they change too much, fans will flame them. (see Command and Conquer 4, the reaction to that by fans was for the most part negative)

Anyway, back to the subject of AOEO:

Hidden behind the graphics choice is a fantastic game, that I fear is missed by the "What were they thinking putting childish graphics!?!?!" crowd.

They could make some of the battles from the first games and expansions only with the new features and graphics of 3. Anyway, I am going to play all of them over again starting today to prepare! (Stopping only for meals and Star Wars games!)

Guest Gaminglord28

Personally I like the olden time feel of AoE but wouldn't mind the World Wars myself... I love history and was kind of disappointed with AoE 3's fictional stories :(

Guest Plastic

Personally I like the olden time feel of AoE but wouldn't mind the World Wars myself... I love history and was kind of disappointed with AoE 3's fictional stories :(

I like the concept of a World War - Modern Times AOE, but I don't know if they could pull it off.

I had an idea for it at one stage, but I think this would end up "not being Age of Empires"

Three maps at one time: Home map for player, Home Map for Enemy, and Battlefield.

At each players respective Home map, they handle their economy. To invade another's homeland, you must first traverse the battlefield.

The Battlefield is the where most of the fighting takes place. Control the battlefield, and you will most likely win.

That was my idea anyway, but now I think it would change too much...

Guest Gaminglord28

I like the concept of a World War - Modern Times AOE, but I don't know if they could pull it off.

I had an idea for it at one stage, but I think this would end up "not being Age of Empires"

Three maps at one time: Home map for player, Home Map for Enemy, and Battlefield.

At each players respective Home map, they handle their economy. To invade another's homeland, you must first traverse the battlefield.

The Battlefield is the where most of the fighting takes place. Control the battlefield, and you will most likely win.

That was my idea anyway, but now I think it would change too much...

I agree that that would change AoE too much but I like the idea. I'm sure that concept could be used for another great RTS.

Guest Plastic

Two new Civilizations have been announced!

Two Civs will be available at launch:

The Greeks (I played as these during beta, and they use the traditional AOE leveling up system)

The Egytians (I came into beta after these were pulled down from beta, but they level up by building temples)

These Civilizations have recently been announced to arrive "this holiday season":

The Celts (don't know much about them)

The Persians (don't know much about them)

Source of new Civs: Here

skirmish vs AI will be coming at the same time. It apears it will be a "booster pack" :unsure: I will probably be getting it.

Guest shinsetsuna

skirmish vs AI will be coming at the same time. It apears it will be a "booster pack" :unsure: I will probably be getting it.

Oh. Well, that changes everything. If I have to pay for the option of playing against the AI, then all interest I may have had in the game is completly gone

Guest Plastic

Oh. Well, that changes everything. If I have to pay for the option of playing against the AI, then all interest I may have had in the game is completly gone

The base game is free, you may as well give it a go. That's the main philosophy I think one should take.

I'm not particularly happy at the AI skirmish pack, but hey, the game is pretty good apart from that in my opinion.

I'd prefer a go to the shop, buy the game, then not pay any more on this game forever (except for expansions). The payment model of AOEO however, is preferable to the subscription model. (which unfortunately for me, The Old Republic is taking)

I just don't see the justification in continually pouring money into a video game. But that's just me....

• Like 1

Guest Gaminglord28

The base game is free, you may as well give it a go. That's the main philosophy I think one should take.

I'm not particularly happy at the AI skirmish pack, but hey, the game is pretty good apart from that in my opinion.

I'd prefer a go to the shop, buy the game, then not pay any more on this game forever (except for expansions). The payment model of AOEO however, is preferable to the subscription model. (which unfortunately for me, The Old Republic is taking)

I just don't see the justification in continually pouring money into a video game. But that's just me....

I will still definately play! I love AoE! I'm actually playing AoEIII right now :) Can't wait for AoEO... When is the release and what is the site?

Guest shinsetsuna

I will still definately play! I love AoE! I'm actually playing AoEIII right now :) Can't wait for AoEO... When is the release and what is the site?

August 16th, last I checked. The link to the website is in the first post of the topic

And Plastic, its just a matter of principle to me. Skirmish vs the AI something I dont think should be a luxury. Its not that I think it will be expensive (or at least, I sure hope it wont be...), but I just dont think its the kind of thing people should have to pay for, especially given its importance in learning the game mechanics before you throw yourself into online multiplayer. Its especially important for me because I dont really like playing multiplayer most of the time, so I usually play the game against the AI

That is not to say the game now sucks or anything like that. It may still be a great game, but if I have to pay for the skirmish option, then Im just not interested in finding out anymore

Guest Plastic

And Plastic, its just a matter of principle to me. Skirmish vs the AI something I dont think should be a luxury. Its not that I think it will be expensive (or at least, I sure hope it wont be...), but I just dont think its the kind of thing people should have to pay for, especially given its importance in learning the game mechanics before you throw yourself into online multiplayer. Its especially important for me because I dont really like playing multiplayer most of the time, so I usually play the game against the AI

Pretty much how I feel. But anyway, you've got to remember the base game is free. So you're getting what you pay for. :P

Guest Crixler

So, I got accepted into the pre-release thing today. Anyone else in? I'm not sure when I'll have the chance to actually play, but my username's Crixler on there as well.

Edit: I've currently got my cities on the Athens server.

Haven't done much with them yet, but that's the server you'll find me on whenever I do actually play.

Guest Plastic

I'm in... But I'm in the Marathon server.

Mostly playing as Egypt, seeing as the Greeks were all that were available during my time in the beta, and I'm interested in the Egyptians.

The Egyptian Civ is awsome! :P (The Greeks are too, but I'm excited about the Egyptians right now...)

Username: Plasticcaz

Guest Crixler

I ended up going with Athens before I even realized more servers were available now. But from what I've been reading, Marathon is where most of the more hardcore players have been going. That's what it's sounding like, anyway. Seeing as I'm not really a hardcore gamer, I decided I'll probably just stick with Athens haha.

I'm excited for the Celts.

The Egyptians have some neat things about them (the slingers look pretty BA, for example), but I don't care for their aging up method, and I'm not a fan of the environments they tend to play in. Too sandy.

Guest Plastic

I'm a bit of a noob right now, but I intend to get better. That's why I stuck with the marathon server.

Guest Crixler

I will have to look into that, could be neat.

Also, I decided to switch over to Marathon - why not?

Still not on much though, busyish.

Guest Gaminglord28

Cool open source game, Plastic! Thanks!

Guest Plastic

Cool open source game, Plastic! Thanks!

Thanks, but I have nothing to do with it. All I've done is download it once before. I'll have to dowload it again at some point.

@Crixler: Marathon is where a lot of pvpers are. People like Orktastic and Zutazuta are on that server. Perhaps I'll see you on that server some time! :-D