Sign in to follow this  
OddPositive

Universal Insta-Kill mode?

I'm starting a replay of KotOR but I don't care even a little bit about the DnD combat mechanics, so I'm using insta-kill weapons. I figured out how to create new insta-kill weapons in Kotor Tool and made myself a blaster rifle easily enough (I'm still on Taris at this point), but I'd really like to be able to use any weapon I come across without having to create yet another Insta-Kill version and then giveitem it into my inventory. I'm not sure what file I would need to edit to give the player and party members a permanent on-hit insta-kill effect regardless of what equipment they have. I tried adding On Hit Instant Death to a belt so I could just leave it on regardless of what weapon I'm using, but the on-hit effect doesn't seem to work on clothing.

TLDR: I need help adding the On Hit - Instant Death property directly to the player/party members rather than to specific weapons. Thanks!

That's a dead-end. As you've seen, on-hit effects are tied to individual weapons and won't work on anything else. You could put the effect on every weapon template, but then enemies could use it too.

The cleanest solution would be to edit the global AI script instead. You could make all hostile creatures trigger a death effect in response to any amount of damage, so all the player's weapons and powers would essentially be one-hit-kills.

Yeah I figured that would be an issue with adding Insta-Kill to the regular weapons. Although I wonder if I then used the Invulnerability cheat, which effect would win? It would still be pretty tedious anyway, adding the effect to every single weapon.

What about just giving the player a massive base damage multiplier? Is there a simple way to do that?

Or could I add Instant Death to a Feat?

I'd rather avoid scripting if I can manage it, I've got something like code dyslexia. It's damn near impossible for me to parse scripting and programming languages even if I understand the underlying theory and logic concepts perfectly well.

[Edit: If I'm understanding this Character Stat Guide correctly ( 

) it looks like in TSL I could maybe just set all the Vitality Points multipliers in autobalance.2da to 0.01 so all enemies have basically no hit points, but I don't see an autobalance.2da anywhere in kotor1...]

Edited by OddPositive

41 minutes ago, OddPositive said:

Yeah I figured that would be an issue with adding Insta-Kill to the regular weapons. Although I wonder if I then used the Invulnerability cheat, which effect would win? It would still be pretty tedious anyway, adding the effect to every single weapon.

What about just giving the player a massive base damage multiplier? Is there a simple way to do that?

You could set the base damage for all weapon types to something ridiculously high, then combine that with the invulnerability cheat. Weapon damage per type is set in baseitems.2da; there's less than 30 so it's not a big task. I don't know what the max is, but you could presumably set everything to 99d99 or similar.

You know in hindsight I had forgotten how few visually unique weapons there even are in this game, so I'm just gonna go back to my original strategy of creating a handful of insta-kill variants. Whoops.

Thanks for the help though!