joshjonasone

A proper porting tutorial from SWTOR to KOTOR 1&2

I have been looking around and searching everywhere but I can't seem to find a proper tutorial for porting stuff from SWTOR to KOTOR 1&2. 

I also heard there is an automated method (or at least was going to be an automated method, it was a project I believe), but I can't recall where I saw it right now.

I am especially interested in porting clothing, but I also want to port things like props and even maps. Please bless me with your knowledge. Thank you.

It depends on what you want to port. I assume you're talking about models, and there are some broad steps that are applicable to all models.

XeNTaX is the place to go for the tools.

EasyMYP is the equivalent of KOTOR Tool. It'll extract files from the MMO's archives. The majority of the game file names, however, are encrypted. You need to add a hash list that's able to it what to name everything, although even the most recent one won't succeed with everything. It is disappointingly incomplete, particularly for the later expansions. But it does cover a lot.

There are two ways to get models into a modeling program. The first is Noesis, a free model format converter that will be able to convert from GR2 to OBJ or whatever you want. It's not perfect - sometimes it'll flip normals and it doesn't import skin weights at all. But it's pretty good for static meshes. You need a plugin for it to work with the MMO models. The other method is to use the GR2 import scripts for 3ds Max. One imports the skeleton and the other can import meshes to be placed on the skeleton. If you want to port body models, this is a necessity. It doesn't do animations, though; supposedly, nobody has released anything for that yet.

Jedipedia is a good source for hunting down models. It catalogues item model and material ID numbers. You can search for these IDs in an index to find the specific model and texture files. Generally there is an index for each body part. Since I'm not that familiar with the game as some of you out there, I also find TOR Fashion useful in hunting for items. It sorts items by type and similarity and is generally good at matching an official item name to the visual, which one can then look up on Jedipedia to get the ID numbers.

Thank you so much! This helps me a lot already! :)

I already have 3ds Max (even though I never used it until now) and I am sorry if this is a noob question, but how do I get Kotor skeleton/animations to play nice with SWTOR models? Is there an easy way to do it using the existing rig and weights or will I have to mess with it a lot?

You have to rig the MMO mesh to a KOTOR skeleton. I don't really know the best way to do that, I've always done it the sloppy way with the skin mesh modifier and then tweaked it.

The MMO proportions are a little different and also have to be repositioned to match the KOTOR skeleton better.