Soka

Trouble With .mod Files On Mac

Hi, I'm having problems getting mods that use .mod files to work on my MacBook. I know how to install mods and use tslpatcher, no issues there at all, and my game runs perfectly; my issue is with getting .mod files to work. My game will not recognise the .mod file at all when it's been put into the modules folder by tslpatcher.

I've tried installing as intended, through the tslpatcher, and then changing the extension of the files to .rim, and backing up the original .rim file, and then replacing them with the modded and renamed .rim file, but that just sent me to my main menu as soon as I entered that module, as if it didn't exist at all, due to my game not recognising the new module file. 

I'm definitely not very experienced either with my MacBook or with mods, so I'm at a loss now at what to try, so I was hoping if there's anyone who plays or mods the game on a Mac system who knows how to get .mod files to work, or a workaround, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much. 

Edited by Soka
Removed part talking about placing .mod files into Override, and that some mods had suggested this, as it was my mistake

Mac modder/player here. I guess a couple of questions/comments up front, just so I know what's going on and understand.

• "...if the .mod file was placed in my override..."
    • This should never be the case. Could you link me to a mod that suggests that?
  • "...and then changing the extension of the files to .rim, and backing up the original .rim file, and then replacing them with the modded and renamed .rim file..."
    • This also should never be the case. The .mod needs the original .rim to run. That's probably why you're crashing to the main menu.
  • How did you install the game? Steam? App Store?
  • Could you provide me the path to your override folder?

Hi, thank you so much for your reply! So about the comments:

• That one was my mistake, I don't know why I thought a mod had suggested that, I guess I misread the ReadMe and mistook Modules folder for Override. I guess that's why I shouldn't try to install mods when I haven't gotten any sleep haha. I'll edit my original post to take that away as it's completely on me and my misreading.
  • Yeah, that was mostly me messing around to try to get things to work, after I had tried installing them and testing them as they were and they didn't work. I got pretty desperate to try to get things to work. I didn't know that it needs the original .rim to work though, so..that explains that. Thank you for explaining that to me, it's nice to know why my attempts weren't working. 
  • I installed it through Steam.
  • And my override folder path is: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/swkotor/Contents/KOTOR Data/Override.

No problem, I've found Mac modding to be a lot of trial and error. :)

How did you install through tslpatcher? Did you use Wine or something along those lines?

Also, your override path location doesn't look correct, it should look something like Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/swkotor/Knights of the Old Republic.app/Contents/KOTOR Data/Override

Edited by CarthOnasty
Added path question.

That's certainly how modding on Mac feels!

And yeah, I used Wine and Winebottler.

And ah, that's my bad, I manually typed out the path instead of copying it (I only just learned how to do that lol), and completely forgot about the Knights of the Old Republic.app part when I was typing it, but yeah, I open package contents once I get to that. Copied my override path location ⁨and it's Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/swkotor/Knights of the Old Republic.app/Contents/KOTOR Data/Override which looks like what you said!

Gotcha. :)

Okay, let's see... 🤔

When you used Wine, did you use a specific engine for the wrapper? And also did you set up the registry via Winetricks? Did you install dotnet?

Are there any sub-folders in your Override folder? I want to be sure the .mods were being installed into .../KOTOR Data/modules

Sorry for all the questions!

Oh... I didn't use any engines or Winetricks or anything. It all kinda happens self contained, with Winebottler I believe, and it looks like this: 

2112728790_Screenshot2019-03-31at23_05_02.thumb.png.f3aa117982461544db8176b902dbd6d3.png1479947341_Screenshot2019-03-31at23_05_56.thumb.png.fceb47620477e7bb34c3f04ce7b3c1aa.png

(Note: I wouldn't usually install tslpatcher mods from my Downloads folder, as the path shows, I usually drop the folder into my KOTOR Data before I install it, so that the folder actually shows up when I try to install. I just took a mod I still had lying around in my Downloads, to show you this screen. I actually have a workaround for this specific mod, that Kexikus helped me with.)

The method I use works for every other mod perfectly, except those with .mod files, something with the process seems to make the .mod files useless, because their icons go from showing up as the black box with the green "exec" in them, to just the white page after they've been installed. 

As for subfolders, nope, there's none in my Override. And I checked the Modules folder at the time, and the .mod files were in there. (i've since removed them though, since they weren't showing up in my game) 

And no worries about the questions, I'm happy to answer them, and for the time you're taking :) 

Hmmm, you got me. Let me think about this, sorry I can't be of more help right now.

And my files look the same:

492355055_ScreenShot2019-03-31at6_10_24PM.png.c182910761d3ddaf147bd3a87fbbb068.png

Edited by CarthOnasty
Added screen cap.

It's okay!! I appreciate that you took any time at all :) 

And hmm, unless I've just been making a mistake every time I tried installing the .mod files.. I'll try again with some that I had been trying before, I tested them pretty extensively at the time too, in a saved game before entering that specific module, but I'll try again. Maybe I just made some mistakes since when I was trying with them before, I was pretty new to using the tslpatcher, and I had assumed pretty early that it was an issue with Mac not recognising .mod files, but it won't hurt to try again (and feel like a complete fool if it works fine now...). And it's reassuring to know that it isn't a Mac thing, if you're able to use them fine - means my attempts won't feel useless like they did before 

Okay I got it figured out!! I have...NO idea what I was doing wrong before, when I initially tried just installing as normal, without messing around with trying mods in different places and renaming stuff (bc with those it's pretty obvious where I went wrong). Maybe I was just messing up because I wasn't yet used to using tslpatcher, I'm not really sure but anyway... It works fine now. Tested with a few mods and it's all perfect so, whew. Safe to assume I was just royally messing it up before. Thank you so much @CarthOnasty I would've gone on with my assumption that .mod files don't work on Mac, and missing out on some amazing mods, if not for your help, so thank you so much! 

Edited by Soka
Added last paragraph, since I got it figured out
  • Like 1