Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Artenon

Renaming a model instead of changing which model a utc references?

So I'm trying to replace Atton's character model with a Selkath. However, since Atton uses more than one .utc file for various modules, the task is proving tedious.

Can't I just create a copy of, say, "Selkath_03", rename it "Party_NPC_Atton", and stick it in the override folder? Wouldn't that prevent me from having to go through and change his utc files in every module? Or are those files too deeply compiled to be worth the effort to extract?

EDIT: Or would replacing "race", "racetex", "modela", "texa", and so on with "N_Selkath" for models and "N_Selkath03" for textures, then saving as a new copy of "appearances.2da" to stick in override work?

Selkath 2ds file.JPG

Edited by Captain_Artenon

You would be better off changing Atton's line in appearance.2da. If you copy the entire Selkath line and paste it on Atton's, changing the row number and label back to what they were, you should have no problem (beyond any problems inherent with the Selkath model). However, because the Selkath appearance is a full body model, Atton's appearance will no longer reflect his equipment, like Kreia, unless someone were to make new models for it.

Thanks! I'll try that out.

It *would* be neat to kitbash a special model of a Selkath permanently wearing Atton's jacket so he'd retain some of his aesthetic to set him visually apart from other Selkath. The wetsuit motif used by KotOR 1's Selkath model looks a little out of place when not on Manaan.

Unfortunately I lack  the time, skill, and tools for that. The color pallet of N_Selkath03 is similar to Atton's jacket, so it will suffice for now.

Nvm. Checked the box in KotOR tool to allow 2das to be read from the override folder and it's working now.

EDIT: Nope. Accidentally left the old previous utc files in. He's still popping up as human Atton when I walk outside Peragus.

Tried to rename copies of the selkath mdl files to the appropriate atton mdl files and this happened.

EDIT: The bottom cap is what I saw despite my .2da having been modified.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

So I've removed the utc files. The modified 2da file in the override folder. Started a new game to test it, but he's still human. I should add that I'm using the Steam version with TSLRCM.

Googled around and found the correct folder:

Not exactly the same. TSLRCM's override. Workshop folders take priority over old override folder, so most of the stuff you install there either won't work or be incomplete. 

If you installed TSLRCM through workshop, use this override path for all other mods: (...)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\208580\485537937\override

That folder did the trick. Thanks!