eNoodles

TSL DLG VO clarification

So I wanted to clarify the way VO works in TSL. As I know in K1 dlg files, "VO_resref" is for the .lip file for lip sync, and "Sound" is for the compressed wav file. However, in TSL dlg files the Sound field is almost always empty. There is always something in the VO_resref field, and, in most cases, you can search for that name in the StreamVoices folder and find a wav file of the same name. You can also find the corresponding .lip file in the  .mods from the "lip" folder. But in a lot of cases, you cannot find a wav file with the name you see in VO_resref.  

I'm curious why the Sound field is empty in most of the TSL dlgs, how it even works, and most importantly- where can I find voice over wav-s if they aren't in the StreamVoices folder? Are they inaccessible? Why is this so much more complicated than in K1?

For example- "351g0t0temp010" is neither in the StreamVoices folder, nor in 351NAR_loc.mod. (this is a random example btw)

1708226122_Screenshot(13).thumb.png.c0e415e0cfe84f738c06fd87710b8271.png

That's because Hanharr is a Wookiee. Alien dialogue in K2 doesn't work like the other dialogue, or like the alien dialogue in K1. The VO_ResRef entry is meaningless, much like how player lines in K1 have them.

Aliens in K2 have a set of VO defined in alienvo.2da. The audio played is determined by three parts: the alien race (Wookiee, Duros, Sensor Ball, etc), the emotion (comment, question, seductive, etc), and the take number (1, 2, or 3).

The Record No VO Override flag will tell the game to use alien VO when it's set to 1, or at least that's what I think judging by the look of it. It's been a while since I messed with this. The AlienRaceNode flag points to a line number in alienvo.2da to establish the race and which files to use. The Emotion list is what lets you add variety and in part determine how long the node is since many are split up into short/medium/long. Note though that DLGEditor lists all emotions that exist, not just ones available to that race. No VO set actually has files for every emotion. Finally, the game picks one of three takes for that emotion to use, I believe randomly. The lip files are named the same as the the VO files, though they may not work in certain modules due to the lips being missing, so you might have to extract them. This also means it's possible that some VO lines don't have any lip files on account of never actually being used in the game, though I'm not certain of that.

Also, in your screenshot, there's something wrong with the dialogue. It looks like all the alien VO data has been stripped from it. On Hanharr's line, No Record VO Override should be 1, AlienRaceNode should be 12, and Emotion should be Question_Medium. Did you by any chance edit the file in KOTOR Tool? It doesn't support K2 dialogues, and might break them.

• Thanks 1