Sign in to follow this  
sillysaxon

Simple environment retexture help

I'm just getting my feet wet with modding this game.

I decided to start with modding environment textures as I have a really nice library of high def dirt, sand, grass, rocks, etc.
I wanted to start with replacing the ground you see in Tatooine settlement which i have located as LTA_sand01 and LTA_sand02.
I replaced the texture with a same sized HD texture from my library overwritten as LTA_sand01.tga and LTA_sand02.tga and placed them in the override folder as a test case to start off with and see my changes.

However, the texture does not seem to have taken. I go to Tatoo and it's still the same.

I have skybox mods that are working fine in the override folder as .tga files.

The most likely case is that I need to edit more files than just these? But as I said, this is my very first project I would appreciate some assistance.

Ok so after some more testing it seems that everything is working, I'm simply not finding the texture in the world.
I think I have modified the wrong texture but I now need to understand how to locate which textures are being used in particular areas.

For example, I'd like to modify the main dry ground texture in Anchorhead (tat_m17aa) but I am not sure how to find out which tpc file that is

Looks like the primary ground texture is LTA_wall00 with darker edge/corner areas using LTA_wall00a . As the name suggests, these textures are likely used elsewhere for wall textures, so replacing them outright is probably not the best idea.

The easiest way to check what textures are being used and how retextures will look is to extract the room models and load the entire module into Max/GMax (I'm not sure if Blender's script has a module loading capability as yet).