LunaCantabile

Importing custom mesh for player head

I've had a browse around and looked at some similar threads but would like to ask for advice in my specific case. I'm interested in replacing a player head with a new mesh and textures. The texture part seems fairly self explanatory, but most of what I've found regarding model swapping refers to reassigning existing heads. I've gotten to grips with the 2DA's and replacing one of the existing models seems better than adding an option.

What should I know in order to import a new mesh/preparing the asset for use in game? The biggest difference from vanilla would be the new hairstyle, if anyone has run into upper limits on poly counts I'd appreciate a heads up there too.

I'd say adding a new head via new 2DA rows would be the "better" approach. Replacing an existing model is just easier.

You'll want to start with an existing head to get the rig, and use as a guide for scale and position of your custom mesh. There are a few eccentricities with with the way KOTOR works, which may necessitate changing your mesh to suit.

Poly count-wise, I probably wouldn't go above 5K per mesh chunk if you can help it. You also do not want to enable shadows on any single mesh over 1K or so polys, or you'll get a crash.

If you are considering long hair, you are probably going to wind up disappointed.