Sign in to follow this  
DarthDaedric

I got a question regarding VA

I have the urge to become an amateur voice actor. I've seen and passed up opportunities because I wasn't sure exactly what all I needed/what file type they need to be.

I have a computer Mic, GarageBand, and Audacity. Do I need anything else? If so, what could I do to reduce the extra noise so it doesn't sound terrible (outside of getting a sound booth :D )?

Thanks ahead of time.

Guest JediExile

I used the microphone that came with one of my headsets. It's not the best, but it worked. Audacity has a filter that you can use to get rid of popping and background noise. I recently got a newer microphone - http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/ - and so far, I am pretty happy with it.

My daughter had done some voice acting before she went to university. If you have ever played the Thief 2 mods you might have heard her. One thing that is cheap easy and effective is a pop filter. This reduces the impact of the voice's pressure wave hitting the microphone. She didn't have $20 to spend on one so I made it for her. It cost an hour's work and $0 to build. It is not pretty but it was effective.

All you need is a metal coat hanger, discarded pantyhose, and a pair of pliers. Shape two hoops at each end of the disassembled coat hanger. Bend one hoop 90 degrees and stretch a leg of the pantyhose over the other. If you know someone with sewing skills they can neaten this up. Stick the screen on your computer desk in front of your mike.