vv221

[./play.it] Install the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games on Linux

Hello fellow Linux gamers!

Here you can find informations about ./play.it, a tool building packages for Debian, Arch Linux, Gentoo and any derivative (Ubuntu, Manjaro, Linux Mint, etc.) from your installers for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games.
These packages can be installed easily with you favourite packages manager.

Download links and usage instructions can be found on the following pages:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Ⅱ - The Sith Lords

We hope youʼll enjoy the ease-of-use provided by this tool as much as we enjoy writing and tweaking it ;)

Here you go for more supported games!

EDIT: Done!

Check the following post for a list of supported mods.

-----

I’m working right now on a way to easily install TSLRCM and M4-78EP on KotOR2 installed via my scripts.

Widescreen support should come at some point too.

Actually you already can install mods on this version of the game packages, but it needs a bit of tinkering around. The new scripts will allow you to install mods in a single command, something easy to use similar to this:

kotor2_tslrcm_1.8.3b "/home/revan/Downloads/TSLRCM 183b.exe"
with a fully automated process just asking you to click "Next, Next, OK" and everything else taken care of automagically.

It’s already written, so I just need to take some time to test it extensively, I think I’ll publish it shortly after the week-end.

PS: Big thanks to whoever "stickied" this topic, it’s really pleasing when my pet project get such good reception, especially when it’s my first post on a forum ;)

Hi,

Even though I have the sh file in the same folder as the exe and bin file, I still get

Error:
This script needs to be given the path to the gog.com installer as an argument. (setup_sw_kotor2_french_2.0.0.3.exe or setup_sw_kotor2_2.0.0.3.exe)

Here is my ls output:

play-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-2_gog-2.0.0.3.sh
setup_sw_kotor_2.0.0.3.bin
setup_sw_kotor_2.0.0.3.exe
sw_kotor_manual.zip

What am I missing?

Peace

Ananth

Hi,

Even though I have the sh file in the same folder as the exe and bin file, I still get

Error:
This script needs to be given the path to the gog.com installer as an argument. (setup_sw_kotor2_french_2.0.0.3.exe or setup_sw_kotor2_2.0.0.3.exe)

The error is on my side: I messed up the download links in my opening post, and you ended up with the KotOR2 script instead of the KotOR1 one.

I just corrected the links, now you’ll get the script corresponding to the description.

Thank you for the report!

Hi,

The game did get installed but fyi, the terminal where I ran the dpkg kept complaining something about being unable to get a lock on /var/... and asked if I was root? I was indeed running it with sudo and the game was installed, I just thought I would let you know.

The real problem is that when I run the game off the start menu, the sound plays but my desktop is all messed up. The resolution tanks down and I cannot see the game at all. After the movie plays out, in the center of the screen I see the New Game/Load Game/Options etc menu but nothing is clickable and my desktop is a mess with black boxes everywhere. Is there some setting I need to do? I was hoping this will run out of the box but I am afraid it is unplayable, can you help?

I thought maybe I had to install the widescreen mod here (http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic) and I did manage to install it and then I put the 1920 x 1080 files in the override directory too. In swotor.ini file I made width and height as 1920x1080. Now when I play the game, Lucas Arts splash is fine but then it stops at a black screen after that. :( Help!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

peace

Ananth

For your error with dpkg, unfortunately I won’t be able to tell much about it without the complete error. But if the game installed in the end, that’s all good ;)

EDIT: I understand now what your error was about. The command you have to run as root is actually two commands on the same line, delimited by a ';'. So you’ll need to put sudo in front of both of them, the 'dpkg -i …' one and the 'apt-get …' one.

Next time I’ll update this script, I’ll try to make this part easier to understand.

It didn’t cause any problem in your case because the second command just take care of the installation of WINE if it is missing, but it obviously was installed on your system already.

-----

About the resolution problem, that’s something I’ve been thinking about quite a lot, but finally decided to not include fixes out-of-the-box as it is highly setup-dependent. If I find a way to apply fixes only when needed, I’ll update my scripts and let you know.

When you want to install mods like widescreen, you don’t need to apply them on '/usr/local/share/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/' as this place just keeps a vanilla read-only copy of the game. Instead, you should install it under '~/.local/share/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/' where everything is writable by your user.

If you have difficulties installing it, please come back and I’ll try to guide you. By the way, I’m going to run some tests and if it goes well I’ll add to the script the ability to install the widescreen mod with a single command, like I’ve done for a couple mods already.

On my setup I don’t use the widescreen mod, but I launch the game on a dedicated graphic server so it will run at its supported resolutions *without* messing up my desktop environment. I can describe the method if you’re interested, but keep in mind that it won’t allow for resolutions not supported by the base game.

-----

I think I understand what the problem is with your installation with a non-default $PREFIX, I should be able to fix it soon. While you’re waiting for the fixed version, you should be able to launch the game by running directly the script named 'star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic' found under '$PREFIX/games/'.

-----

Done. The game should run from the menu entry even if you use a custom $PREFIX.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Here is my update:

I redid the whole thing installing the game in a local directory and I successfully installed the widescreen mod & now I run the game directly from the install directory ignoring the menu entry. So now all is ok with installation and the widescreen mod.

Now what happens is that I get the 2 splash screen with sound - the Lucas Arts splash and the Bioware splash. Then there is a black screen and the whole game freezes. And I have the Ctrl+C at the terminal to stop. Even though the mod installs I am not sure what else I need to do to get the game up and running.

Is there any advice you can give?

Peace

Your "black screen" bug is probably not linked to the use of my script, but some WINE or widescreen bug.

I’ll give a try to this one in a couple days, and if I find a way to replicate and fix your issue I’ll share it.

I am sure of that too, nothing to do with your script :)

Was just hoping you might know some possible culprits!

Peace

An update of KotOR1’s script with support for K1R 1.0 is in the works and should be pushed online this week.

-----

Done.

update

supported installers:

• setup_sw_kotor_2.0.0.3.bin
  • setup_sw_kotor_french_2.0.0.3.bin
  • setup_sw_kotor2_2.0.0.3-1.bin
  • setup_sw_kotor2_french_2.0.0.3-1.bin

/!\ No more simplified mod intallations!

It should come back with some future release.

Thanks for the update gnutix, I updated the opening post with the current links.

I updated the message itself too, as ./play.it support now goes beyond Debian-based distributions and can be used to install games on Arch Linux and Gentoo (and most derivatives of course).