Sign in to follow this  
Guest R2-X2

KotOR crashing (Windows 7)

Guest R2-X2

So I got K1 from GOG for a brother of mine and it installed and worked flawlessly on his computer (a Windows 7 laptop). However now, I wanted to download and install the very same version on a different Windows 7 laptop, at the game is acting completely wonky.

The game will crash upon hitting the main menu after playing the intro videos, removing/renaming them will just make it crash instantly (music starts to play and the mouse becomes the K1 blue mouse for half a second before crashing). If movies are disabled via the .ini file, then the game will launch and play just fine, until you touch the graphics options or minimise or alt+tab, then it will crash instantly upon saving the option changes or returning back to the game - apart from the fact that missing out on the movies is unacceptable.

I tried Flawless Widescreen, and the widescreen resolution works, but other than that all the problems remain.

So I'm asking for help now: What could I do? Playing without movies is really bad (especially considering the fact that my brother (yes I have more than 1) who I want to install this game for doesn't know the story yet), and even then the game will just crash on the slightest disturbance.

Guest R2-X2

Pretty much nothing applies, starting already at being for the CD version. :/

I had this same problem running yet with the CD version of kotor 2. And for some reason, the steam version stopped it..

Try checking all the compability settings for swkotor.exe. I fixed my frequent crashes after cutscenes by checking "deactivate visual designs", so it might work for you too.

Guest R2-X2

They are disabled by default, I can't even activate them. Compatibility modes and start as admin didn't work. On the other computer, the game worked fine without any compatibility settingsor whatever set. :s

From what I've found so far, it is due to the Intel graphics cart (HD 3000), but I still don't have a clue on how to fix it.