Lupo_dK

[GUIDE] Kotor 2 fully functioning on MAC with Mods and Fixes (TSLRCM, Widescreen & Others)

Hmm, I'll try bot solutions, and maybe check if there's a way to remove the tint from the screen.

Edit: If you go to the ColorSync Utility app, would that help because there's an option to adjust the blueness of the screen?

Well actually the problem is Mac usually use this blue tint with some Fullscreen applications. I get this issue with also Mac compatible Steam games, with no wrapper used. Simply it resets monitor calibration and re-active it just when you exit your application. Could help to switch with cmd+tab from game to screen and reverse to try keeping right color correction, but game crashes when I do this.

Anyway seems I cannot change anything in ColorSync. I'll do some tests

Well, I found a solution. It's not perfect but it works. I installed this program (f.lux), which basically is going to change you screen color basing on time of the day. Open the program and just set to max brightness value each configuration (Daytime, sunset, bedtime). When you launch the game you should see the blue tint being overlayed by f.lux calibration.

At this point I'm definitely going with Mac driver and this program active.

EDIT: Ok, forget it. I did another test, while f.lux is correcting blue tint, it also overlay any changes you make with brightness. So brightness issue it's not fixed. But at least Mac driver can be used without that blue filter.

I'll look up ways to remove the blue tint maybe there's a solution on the wineskin site or something.

Edit: should I enable both Mac Driver and the x11? Or just one at a time? Also I guess the ColorSync utility is for images. Not the actual screen :/

I'll look up ways to remove the blue tint maybe there's a solution on the wineskin site or something.

Edit: should I enable both Mac Driver and the x11? Or just one at a time? Also I guess the ColorSync utility is for images. Not the actual screen :/

One driver excludes the other, if you check the setting "Use Mac driver instead of X11" just above "Decorate windows", wine will override default Xquartz driver using the built-in one.

Essentially Mac driver is working "more direct" while x11 interposes between Hardware and Software, maybe causing a little bootle-neck for computing effectiveness. That's why I prefer first one. (Anyway for TSL they are boh running great).

And yes colorsync looks like a kind of catalog for various color profiles... Indeed I could not make anything with that.

Yeah, I haven't found any way to make it better :/ The Mac Driver is sill blue. I looked up solutions but I can't find anything.

Edit 12 and a half hours later: So I can adjust the brightness in game for some reason when I use the mac driver, but the blue tint is still really annoying.

Same here. Actually I'm playing with Mac Driver and F.lux to prevent blue tint. Brightness adjustments no effecting. Sometimes a little too dark in few sections, but never annoying.

Yeah I think I might just stick with the Mac driver and just lower the brightness enough to where the blue tint isn't visible.

Alright guys.  This is my first time posting but I love this game and owned it on the XBOX, own it on Steam, and now that I have a Mac I also bought it on GOG.com.   I want to play this game specifically with this MOD.[TSLRCM]

I have questions.

Now, if anyone knows how to install this mod on a MacAir could you please PM me or answer here and possibly we can sticky this.  I searched the forums and found no such animal so now I want to figure out how to do this.

Now, I can play the vanilla version with some simple mods that I need to drag and drop into the override folder.   I use PalltheTalls "Porting Kit app" to then make a wineskin app for KOTOR2 that I can then manipulate from the Application folder which looks exactly like the files on your C Drive.  It basically creates a mirrored C: Drive that can function within OS X.

I also have the program CrossOver to run .exe files.  It does not work with larger programs, such as KOTOR2, hence why I use Porting Kit for GOG games.

Now, I am wondering what I need to do to install this mod onto my system.  I freaking love this game and I have only heard amazing things about this mod and have never used it before.

I have a few ideas on how to do this but I do not know which one will work or even if I am close on how to accomplish this.  And I have tried a few things already but I explain.  No installer ever pops up for me when I play this on my Mac Laptop and I vaguely remember what it looks like but that could be a false memory it was so long ago.

So here is what I have done already:

1) Run the TSLRCM 183b.exe using CrossOver.

2) When it asks where to download the files into I:

2a) Go into the applications folder and find my swkotor2 app and go to show contents.

2b) Go into the C: Drive and find the GOG.games folder (easy to find with only 5 total files in the false C: Drive) and then click to download into the SWKOTOR2 folder.

......Now here is where I get confused because of my lack of knowledge on how the installer works.  Because essentially I see a duplicates of all the major file folders but since the installer program that Windows users have does not run on a Mac even with the Wineskin app I am left with a bunch of files inside several folders that are also contained within the KOTOR2 main files.

So should I :

Idea #1) Simply copy the files inside the folders and paste into the corresponding vanilla file folder and overwrite the duplicates?  So copy the TSLRCM contents of the override folder into the corresponding Vanilla override folder. Also the remaining module, lib, etc folders??  

--- I have tried this with a previous version of TSLRCM before I realized that wasn't the most up to date version and found this site while trying to find this answer.  The good news about this Idea #1 is that when I tried this with the 1.5 version of this mod I could load up the game and play and it actually seemed to run smoother but I didn't play long enough or know enough about the content of this mod to tell the difference in Peregus.  It didn't crash the game and it played without glitches so that has to be a good sign.  

--- Is there any way to tell in the MOD is running and I am not just playing the vanilla game without having to have me play through the entire game?

Idea #2) I have no idea #2 except to figure out how to get the installer working but I really have no idea on where to start with that.

TL;DR ----  There is absolutely no way to shorten this.  So if you went straight to this you can't answer the question.

Thank you all so much if any of you give any time and consideration to this post and problem!  I appreciate it in advance!

Alright guys. This is my first time posting but I love this game and owned it on the XBOX, own it on Steam, and now that I have a Mac I also bought it on GOG.com. I want to play this game specifically with this MOD.[TSLRCM]

I have questions.

Now, if anyone knows how to install this mod on a MacAir could you please PM me or answer here and possibly we can sticky this. I searched the forums and found no such animal so now I want to figure out how to do this.

Now, I can play the vanilla version with some simple mods that I need to drag and drop into the override folder. I use PalltheTalls "Porting Kit app" to then make a wineskin app for KOTOR2 that I can then manipulate from the Application folder which looks exactly like the files on your C Drive. It basically creates a mirrored C: Drive that can function within OS X.

I also have the program CrossOver to run .exe files. It does not work with larger programs, such as KOTOR2, hence why I use Porting Kit for GOG games.

Now, I am wondering what I need to do to install this mod onto my system. I freaking love this game and I have only heard amazing things about this mod and have never used it before.

I have a few ideas on how to do this but I do not know which one will work or even if I am close on how to accomplish this. And I have tried a few things already but I explain. No installer ever pops up for me when I play this on my Mac Laptop and I vaguely remember what it looks like but that could be a false memory it was so long ago.

So here is what I have done already:

1) Run the TSLRCM 183b.exe using CrossOver.

2) When it asks where to download the files into I:

2a) Go into the applications folder and find my swkotor2 app and go to show contents.

2b) Go into the C: Drive and find the GOG.games folder (easy to find with only 5 total files in the false C: Drive) and then click to download into the SWKOTOR2 folder.

......Now here is where I get confused because of my lack of knowledge on how the installer works. Because essentially I see a duplicates of all the major file folders but since the installer program that Windows users have does not run on a Mac even with the Wineskin app I am left with a bunch of files inside several folders that are also contained within the KOTOR2 main files.

So should I :

Idea #1) Simply copy the files inside the folders and paste into the corresponding vanilla file folder and overwrite the duplicates? So copy the TSLRCM contents of the override folder into the corresponding Vanilla override folder. Also the remaining module, lib, etc folders??

--- I have tried this with a previous version of TSLRCM before I realized that wasn't the most up to date version and found this site while trying to find this answer. The good news about this Idea #1 is that when I tried this with the 1.5 version of this mod I could load up the game and play and it actually seemed to run smoother but I didn't play long enough or know enough about the content of this mod to tell the difference in Peregus. It didn't crash the game and it played without glitches so that has to be a good sign.

--- Is there any way to tell in the MOD is running and I am not just playing the vanilla game without having to have me play through the entire game?

Idea #2) I have no idea #2 except to figure out how to get the installer working but I really have no idea on where to start with that.

TL;DR ---- There is absolutely no way to shorten this. So if you went straight to this you can't answer the question.

Thank you all so much if any of you give any time and consideration to this post and problem! I appreciate it in advance!

I hope this helps you! I just made it :)

• Like 1

Rece's video contains right instructions, however i'd rather use Wineskin to directly open mods installers (Open wineskin, install software.). 

That's because you can install directly on drive C: and not search inside Knights of the old Republic 2.app folder.

Anyway Crossover will install tslrcm with no problem at all. 

......Now here is where I get confused because of my lack of knowledge on how the installer works.  Because essentially I see a duplicates of all the major file folders but since the installer program that Windows users have does not run on a Mac even with the Wineskin app I am left with a bunch of files inside several folders that are also contained within the KOTOR2 main files.

mmm let me understand:

What do you mean with duplicates, do you actually see file couples with same name?? 

When you set game path, did you put the same folder where swkotor2.exe is located?? 

To be sure, open finder, press cmd+f key and look for swkotor2.exe, and check its path. If it's not the same as the one you put during installation, you have to re-install.

• Widescreen

The most important fix you're going to do is Widescreen indeed. I learned these steps from Xuul youtube video Link

Here revisited for Mac.

Overwrite swkotor2.exe

• First thing you need is this file This File from widescreenforum by Squ1zZy.
  • You need only swkotor2.exe file. Copy it, throw the rest.
  • Go to Knights of the old Republic 2 directory. This folder is crucial for installing any mod or fix you want, so here how to find it:
  • Right click on wrapper (Knights of the old Republic II.app) and click show package content. Here you will find 3 files. One is Wineskin, which we have just used before to install the Steam software, one si Contents (we are not going to use it), and an alias to drive_c. This folder correspond to C: main hard drive of a windows pc. Open it.

34zzu9v.png

• Now as using windows, go to the kotor2 directory:
  • drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the old Republic II/
  • Here you find the original swkotor2.exe. Rename it swkotor2.exe.old, allowing to backup in any moment. Paste squ1zzy’s .exe. 
  • Launch the game, go to options and set resolution to 1280x960. Exit game.

@Lupo_dK Hello. I've followed your instructions success fully until this part. I don't know what you mean by "Now as using windows, go to the kotor2 directory".

• Now as using windows, go to the kotor2 directory:
  • drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the old Republic II/
  • Here you find the original swkotor2.exe. Rename it swkotor2.exe.old, allowing to backup in any moment. Paste squ1zzy’s .exe. 
  • Launch the game, go to options and set resolution to 1280x960. Exit game.

Also, I've already installed a Windows version of Steam on my mac to play Aoe 2. Does that interfre with this process? 

Also again, In the wine skin for KOTOR 2.app , under Advanced/Configuration/Windows EXE: what should be in that place, I think I've messed that part up.

Hi Goatboy. Once you opened wrapper with show package content, you should have 3 files, just like in the photo I posted inside the spoiler under point 4.

Just open drive_c folder, then Program Files, steam, Steamapps, and finally Knights of the old Republic 2 and there's your directory.

This path is exactly the same when you install this game on a regular Windows machine, that's why I said "as using windows" :D

Also, I've already installed a Windows version of Steam on my mac to play Aoe 2. Does that interfre with this process? 

If you used Crossover or another wrapper to install Steam (Age of empire I guess? :D) there will be no problem at all.

Also again, In the wine skin for KOTOR 2.app , under Advanced/Configuration/Windows EXE: what should be in that place, I think I've messed that part up.

The best thing is actually to open Steam directly, so put Steam.exe path. Mine is: 

/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe

And uncheck "Use Start.exe"

So when you click on Knights of the old republic II.app, Steam should star automatically.

Pleas tell me if you have any other question! :D

Hi Goatboy. Once you opened wrapper with show package content, you should have 3 files, just like in the photo I posted inside the spoiler under point 4.

Just open drive_c folder, then Program Files, steam, Steamapps, and finally Knights of the old Republic 2 and there's your directory.

This path is exactly the same when you install this game on a regular Windows machine, that's why I said "as using windows" :D

If you used Crossover or another wrapper to install Steam (Age of empire I guess? :D) there will be no problem at all.

The best thing is actually to open Steam directly, so put Steam.exe path. Mine is: 

/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe

And uncheck "Use Start.exe"

So when you click on Knights of the old republic II.app, Steam should star automatically.

Pleas tell me if you have any other question! :D

Thanks for the quick response  :D.  I understand your answers but can you clarify "Crossover or another wrapper to install Steam (Age of empire I guess?  :D) there will be no problem at all.". Its a Wine Wrapper and I haven't used touched it at all while I've been trying to get Kotor 2 working. As far as I know they're completely unrelated. 

I'm having a problem when I double click Knights of the Old Republic 2.app after installing Windows Steam. Steam starts to launch then I get an error. I screen shotted it and the link is down below.

Link to Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vftl9fqfst8lb44/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%203.59.07%20PM.png?dl=0

Wrappers are made specifically for each games. Each wrapper create a virtual Windows machine that works exclusively with that game. It's like a virtual pc for each game (Of course you can install more than one game in a wrapper but usually it's not convenient). So if you have more than one wrapper installed (One for aoe, one for kotor), it's like you have two different windows computer you can access from your mac, and they will not interfere between them. 

As far as I know they're completely unrelated. 

They simply are :D You will have no problems from other wrappers.

Regarding your second problem, when this issue occurred? Did you download Kotor or it happened right after you get steam installed?

Wrappers are made specifically for each games. Each wrapper create a virtual Windows machine that works exclusively with that game. It's like a virtual pc for each game (Of course you can install more than one game in a wrapper but usually it's not convenient). So if you have more than one wrapper installed (One for aoe, one for kotor), it's like you have two different windows computer you can access from your mac, and they will not interfere between them. 

They simply are :D You will have no problems from other wrappers.

Regarding your second problem, when this issue occurred? Did you download Kotor or it happened right after you get steam installed?

It happened right after I installed Steam by using the "Install Software" in the Wine wrapper with SteamSetup.exe. When I look into the Program Files, Steam seems to be fully installed. I haven't gotten Steam working as of yet, so I haven't had the chance to install Kotor 2. I'll problem just copy and paste the files from my Mac version of Steam. 

That's quite strange. Just after Steam installation should start an auto update for steam. Did it happen?

Just to be sure, did you tweaked something inside wineskin options?

I'll problem just copy and paste the files from my Mac version of Steam. 

Wait which files?

That's quite strange. Just after Steam installation should start an auto update for steam. Did it happen?

Just to be sure, did you tweaked something inside wineskin options?

Wait which files?

You can ignore "I'll problem just copy and paste the files from my Mac version of Steam. ". I haven't done that yet and I'm planning on copying and pasting the game files from my Mac version of steam to save time on downloading it. 

After I double click on KOTOR2.app It brings up a "Checking for Steam updates" window and then its replaced by that error message window after about 5 seconds. I have to force quit the program in order to get it to close after. 

I haven't changed anything in the Wineskin that wasn't in the guide. Heres a link to a pic of my wineskin options.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr6o9ot3yctu1jv/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%205.34.27%20PM.png?dl=0

Well i have no clue right now. I remember that error message appeared few times, even after the game was installed. Reopening wrapper usually resolved that. 

Right now my only suggestion is to reinstall steam again, uninstalling the old one and repeat from the beginning.

You can also try using Winetricks (Point 4 in the guide, under Installing Steam).

If that is not working, last attempt would be to erase the wrapper and downloading it again, and repeating the procedure. Luckily you are not going to lose large files...

Please tell me if you get any changes

Well i have no clue right now. I remember that error message appeared few times, even after the game was installed. Reopening wrapper usually resolved that. 

Right now my only suggestion is to reinstall steam again, uninstalling the old one and repeat from the beginning.

You can also try using Winetricks (Point 4 in the guide, under Installing Steam).

If that is not working, last attempt would be to erase the wrapper and downloading it again, and repeating the procedure. Luckily you are not going to lose large files...

Please tell me if you get any changes

I can get steam to start after restarting the computer but it seems to be able to only run once. When I close it and go to reopen it it gives me the error every time. Restarting the computer allows me to reopen it but after that one time it won't reopen.

I am currently downloading KOTOR 2 :D

I got KOTOR 2 running in full screen and I was playing with the resolution settings and I changed it to the largest resolution and now I can only see the top left piece of the screen and can't changed the resolution settings since my mouse can't leave the screen.

Steam only starts about 1/10 tries. I think my problem is with installing Steam using the .exe . I would use Winetricks to install it but I get this error when I try and install it "sha1sum mismatch!  Rename /Users/jamessullivan/.cache/winetricks/steam/SteamSetup.exe and try again.". After that it says " Winetricks Commands Finished!!". Do you know what would fix this?

Ok regarding screen resolution, go to swkotor2.ini (open with textedit) inside game directory and change screen resolution to 1280x960 ( should be under [Graphic Options] if i remember well). It should appear propely now. Use this resolution to apply widescreen fix.

Regarding winetricks, never worked for me, seems it`s not working for you too... at this point giving it a try was needed!

So leave the winetricks and try this

Next time try to launch wrapper with wifi disabled and ethernet unplugged, steam should go in offline mode and maybe resolve the problem.

I dont really know if it's going to work... let me know if you get any improvement

Ok regarding screen resolution, go to swkotor2.ini (open with textedit) inside game directory and change screen resolution to 1280x960 ( should be under [Graphic Options] if i remember well). It should appear propely now. Use this resolution to apply widescreen fix.

Regarding winetricks, never worked for me, seems it`s not working for you too... at this point giving it a try was needed!

So leave the winetricks and try this

Next time try to launch wrapper with wifi disabled and ethernet unplugged, steam should go in offline mode and maybe resolve the problem.

I dont really know if it's going to work... let me know if you get any improvement

So Steam lanuchs without error when wifi is disabled. I don't know if that is because of it or just a coincidence. The only problem now is, how do I get widescreen? The game resolution is constrained to the old timey monitor shape. 

Edit: Following instructions on guide for widescreen

Edit 2: Can a monitor with a max res of 1920x1080 support a 1280x960 resolution?

1920x1080 is a Widescreen (16:9) resolution, 1280x960 is 4:3. This last one is not really "natively" supported by your Mac Monitor, but you are setting it just temporarily, in order to patch it later with UniWs and obtain a fullscreen 1920x1080 resolution. Just follow the instructions, and  you will get a perfect image in the end (If 1280x960 resolution does not appear in graphic options check Known Issues).

Regarding your fist problem, "steamwebhelper.exe" was causing the problem, and that actually should be the update checker for Steam. Maybe disabling wifi could have prevented that program from starting...