Sign in to follow this  
Spawnkiller

Question about Mods with no Installer

I’m not a programmer or scripter but I know some basics about programming languages.

So I’m asking your council about an idea of mine:

1. As there are many old Mods out there for both KotoR and TSL without any installer, I wonder if it’s a good idea to poke around the perl script of KotoR Mod Manager 0.4 to enhance it a little bit. (It doesn’t know about .bik and .mp3 files and the right directories for them)

2. Or to get familiar with the TSL patcher and write a proper installer for each of the old mods (not a very pleasant thought… work like hell I guess).

For example the Mod Compatibility-List for TSLRCM 1.7 is full of Mods with no installer.

As I have no experience with PERL or the TSL Patcher it doesn’t matter which way to go have to learn it form the start.

3. Also maybe I’ll could try to contact the original author of KMM 0.4 1st and ask him to enhance the tool (maybe the best idea anyway).

With best regards

Spawnkiller

Edited by Spawnkiller

Well, there are quite a few mods that don't really need installers. I'm speakind about some tga's and .mdl .mdx that replaces another. If they are the ones your speaking about (not all of them of course), that would be okay :D For the other ones... I don't think you'd be able to release them.

... For the other ones... I don't think you'd be able to release them.

Hi MrPhil,

thx for your answer.

Well it's not a question of releasing other once mods or properties, that won’t be nice or tolerated and is not what my question was about :o

Question was should I enhance a old Mod Manager Tool (release under GLP so I’m able and allowed to as long I don’t violate the GPL and respect the original author), or contact him to ask if he wants to do it him self. Or maybe someone knows a better tool for managing Mods with no installer.

I guess this is more interesting for KotoR than for TSL users because most of the old Mods for KotoR have no installer (the Manager can handle both KotoR Games).

btw I already played around with the PERL script, only very simple things… right now the Manager knows new extensions like .bik and .mp3.

I want to implement multiple file selection, but it looks like that needs much more programming skill than I can provide now. I guess have to learn how to PERL and refresh my little knowledge of C before I can do that.

greetings

Spawnkiller

Edited by Spawnkiller