Abakus139

Editing creaturespeed.2da v2.b file (and others) and make them work

Hi everyone. Completely new to modding KOTOR, started 2 days ago after I got tired of normal running speed on Taris. So I searched, found Kotor Tool, learned how to open and edit creaturespeed and put the new creaturespeed.2da and the creaturespeed.xml (along with featgain and powergain, which I edited as well) into the override directory.

I would swear yesterday it worked. But not today.

I have by now edited the file several times with different values, and the game ignores it. There is a settings.xml file in the Kotor Tool folder, do I need that (nobody mentioned it anywhere, so I guess not)? What do the xml files do?

Anyone have an idea? I'm playing the 4 cd version (Lot's of crashes on Win 7). Thx in advance.

Well, the xml files don't even need to be used, or saved as; that's just a handy fix for a future tool idea that never got made.

As to the 2da file, did you click somewhere else in the file after editing a value? Otherwise, that value won't be saved with the file.

Also, could you post the file for us to examine and try to find any issues that way?

Thank you for the quick answer. For reasons I don't understand, deadlystream doesn't let me attach files :/. Yes, I clicked somewhere else, the changes were made. I just now doublechecked (runspeed for PC vanilla is 5.40, I upped it to 7.10).

New info/question. Frustrated, I deleted all the files in the override directory (there were more attempts at modding). After that, the game crashed constantly. I installed it again, just put the creaturespeed.2da in (made a clean save first), and now there's a new file - nwscript.nss. What does that one do?

It's harmless and is used by Kotor Tool when making scripts. It was extracted as a fail-safe to ensure the file was there when/if it's needed.

Also, to attach files, just rename the extension to .jpg and be sure to say what the actual one needs to be, in this case .2da.

One 2da coming up.

After reinstalling, the new speed doesn't work on the lower Taris level. Upper Taris, Endar Spire works. However, after a few minutes the game will crash to menu during area transition or when I load a game. Which, of course, means that I have now spend more time on those levels than if I had just accepted the "slow" running speed.

I think I will give up - I had a hard time getting the game to run on Win 7, and need to use a no-cd crack as recommended on the only install instruction post I found that worked for me, otherwise I can't play at all. Thanks anyway.