Sign in to follow this  
Lord Byron

If KotOR III were written by me...

This is what I would have done. Would really appreciate it if you read it.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III: The Unknown Regions

This is my fan fiction plot idea for a single player role-playing game that ignores the Revan novel and Old Republic MMO. It doesn't go into specific details.

It's two years after The Sith Lords. A high council of bureaucrats have been assassinated. You are a private investigator who has been sent to discover who the assassins were. The Alderaanians don't hire the Republic to investigate this, as they are trying to establish independence. You arrive on the planet and start snooping around. Eventually the assassins come to you to shut you up. Only the assassins are Sith and discover you are force sensitive, so they make you an offer - join them or die.

They killed the bureaucrats because they were pacifists and wanted to have them replaced by leaders who are more accepting of the Sith. These Sith, like the Sith of KotOR II, only care about the destruction of the Jedi. If they can, they will manipulate everyone they can into perceiving the Jedi as vermin. Anyway, a Jedi Knight arrives on the scene. Now you must make a choice - help the Jedi or help the Sith. Whoever you help, wins the fight. If you help the Sith, you go with them to some Sith planet (not Korriban) to train. If you help the Jedi, you go to Coruscant to train.

During your training, you can set the gender and alignment of Revan and the Exile in a history test. Following your training, you're sent, under the guidance of a master, on an important mission, but regardless of who you help, the planets you visit during your adventure are the same. If you helped the Jedi, then you must find the MacGuffins that lead Revan to the discovery of the Sith empire. If you helped the Sith, then you must find the MacGuffins and destroy them so that the Jedi can never discover their empire. Throughout your adventure, you will be confronted by Jedi or Sith trying to stop you from completing your mission.

Once you have discovered or destroyed the MacGuffins, you are faced with another choice. If you helped the Jedi, you are confronted by a Sith and you can turn to the dark side if you want. If you helped the Sith, you are confronted by a Jedi and can return to the light, telling the Jedi what you know about the Sith, as you already have the MacGuffin details, even though you destroyed them.

Either way, a space battle ensues. If you are light side, then the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians gather and go and confront the Sith. If you are dark side, then the Sith you helped are planning to overthrow the emperor, Lord Astaroth, and so go to do battle with them anyway.

As you will discover throughout the plot, civil wars are not so uncommon among the Sith. In fact, the Sith recently plunged into a civil war, caused by destabilisation of their leadership as a result of assassinations of key leaders. Revan and the Exile were the ones responsible for the assassinations.

Astaroth doesn't know that, though, and thinks one of the Sith Lords, Darth Ra, was responsible, because she took credit for them to get closer to him. She fabricated evidence that that the dark council were planning to overthrow him, so he ended up being pleased about the assassinations. As a result, Ra became Astaroth's new apprentice.

Anyway, during the space battle, you board the enemies capital flagship and fight your way to the main bridge to confront Ra. During the battle with Ra, she tries to turn you to the dark side, if you're light side. Again, you have the option of turning to the dark side, striking her down with all your anger.

You and your army march on further into the depths of the Sith empire, for the next battle. If you turned to the dark side when you faced Ra, then you must play along with the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians who won the battle, as you cannot possibly best them all and you can use them as pawns to defeat your enemies. The next battle is against a force orbiting above the Sith world of Khar Delba, already engaged in battle against each other. Your ship is shot down in the space battle and you crash land on the planet.

Since the planet is crawling with Sith, light side players must play along and pretend to follow the Sith. During the search for parts to repair the ship, you come across Revanchists, who identify their leader as you guessed it... Revan.

If Revan was set to light side by the player, then naturally Revan is going along with the same deception you are if you're playing light side. It was the only way Revan could get close to the dark council members and eliminate them.

The Exile, if set to light side, meets up with Revan and does the same thing. If they're dark side, then they're just being the Sith that they are and are intent on becoming the new emperor themselves. Revan is wearing the mask and robes seen in KotOR and the Exile is wearing the mask and robes of Darth Nihilus', as Revan told the Exile about the connection between them, formed on Malachor V.

Anyway, you learn that Revan was interested in something at the Sith base of Naga Sadow on Khar Shian, the moon of Khar Delba. Revan went there to check it out, along with the Exile. Once you find the parts to repair your ship, you go to Khar Shian and fight your way to the base, which is heavily guarded.

Once you're inside the base, you won't find Revan and the Exile. What you will find is information about their plans to attack the Sith capital, Dromund Kaas. Once you leave the base you have a nice surprise waiting for you just outside the entrance - Revan and the Exile, with many Sith standing behind them.

Revan goes on to say that after Astaroth's forces were defeated above Khar Delba, Revan called off his or her attack fleet from yours. Revan, impressed by your ability to storm the base, explains the importance of stopping Astaroth and wants to join forces to take the fight directly to him.

Astaroth is over 300 years old. He learnt to transfer his consciousness to different physical bodies, prolonging his life. He feeds on life to sustain his own, but the older he gets, the more his hunger grows, to the point where he will consume all life in the galaxy.

Revan believed that since this Sith empire were the survivors of Naga Sadow's empire from the Great Hyperspace War, the key to defeating Astaroth may be found within the teachings of Sadow himself. What Revan discovered was a blade that is said to undo immortality, but only a wound in the force like the Exile can get close enough to Astaroth to challenge him, as normal force users are wonded just going near him.

Revan plans to direct his or her fleet in the final space battle above Dromund Kaas, while the Exile storms the citadel to confront Astaroth in the throne room. Revan wants you to help the Exile get to the citadel, then fight off the waves of Sith who try to get to the citadel entrance to protect it.

You go to Dromund Kaas and fight your way to the citadel with the Exile, while Revan commands his or her fleet in the space battle above. Revan's legendary tactical prowess is needed to defeat Astaroth's main fleet, otherwise all would be lost.

You get to the citadel entrance and stay behind, protecting it from the waves of oncoming Sith. Meanwhile the Exile fights his or her way to the throne room to challenge Astaroth in a player controlled battle. While that is going on, Revan is confronted on his or her command ship by a Sith Lord who snuck on the ship. In a player controlled battle, Revan must defeat this Sith Lord, then resume command of the space battle.

The Exile manages to wound Astaroth with the blade, weakening him, but cannot defeat him. Astaroth begins overpowering the Exile, to the point where the Exile calls out to you via his or her special ability to form connections with others, to come and help him or her defeat Astaroth.

You arrive at the throne room and defeat Astaroth, who can now be killed for good. The Exile is incapacitated during the battle. Following the defeat of Astaroth, the space battle concludes, with Revan's forces triumphing.

Okay, now for the endings.

Ending 1: LS Revan, LS Exile, LS PC: Revan goes to the throne room to meet up with you and the Exile. You're all Jedi, and naturally want to get the hell out of Sith space and go back home. Revan orders you to order your forces to attack the Revanchists. They are the last Sith that stand in the way of peace.

The Revanchists come after you for betraying them and to their shock, Revan and the Exile help you attack the Revanchists and escape the citadel on a small ship. The space battle is won by the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians and this is where we'll see Revan reunite with Bastila, Carth, Canderous and so on.

They obviously want to know what the hell happened and what Revan has been doing all this time and Revan says it's a long story, fade to black. Fast forward to the future and there are big celebrations going on throughout the galaxy, like in Return of the Jedi.

Ending 2: DS PC: Going dark side means killing Revan and the Exile, either because they're Jedi, or because they're a threat to your power. You kill a wounded Exile in combat in the throne room, then order your forces to attack Revan's ship while his or her guard is down and do what Malak couldn't do - finish the job.

Of course, there will be a few angry Revanchists who attack you, but they are no match for your power. Once you crush some opposition, the other Revanchists won't dare to challenge you and therefore you will be seen as the new emperor of the Sith.

Ending 3: This one is where you're light side, but one of, or both of Revan and the Exile are dark side. If the Exile is dark side, you fight the Exile in the throne room, and try to redeem the Exile. If you succeed, the Exile returns to the light and if not, you have to kill the Exile.

Same with dark side Revan, except you don't confront Revan alone, as Revan is more powerful than you are. You confront Revan with a team of Jedi and end up redeeming or killing Revan. So you still get the happy ever after ending, it's just that it may be without Revan and the Exile there to celebrate with you.

The end.

I like many of the elements you included in your plot. First of all, the private investigator sounds like an interesting route; although, that seems a tad linear for the main character. There could be something else to your mission, so it isn't impossible. Second, I really like your grasp on galactic events and how the galaxy goes to confront the sith lord. The game would signify the end of subtlety and that the true power the sith wielded would be brought to conquer it.

Lastly, and this is the most important part to me, I absolutely endorse your point that the EXILE IS USED TO DEFEAT THE SITH LORD. I don't think the exile being a wound in the force (or an absence of it) has any greater purpose than to be used to combat someone who is stronger in the force than any other being in their known galaxy. In support of this is that Revan would eventually have to use the Exile as the only and greatest tool in order to defeat the very sith that was able to subdue or at the very least force him to attack the republic. Also given Revan's penchant for using people as tools, this seems like an all but perfect fit. This is how you would link all of the Kotors together without being a jerk about it. (If they really wanted to make their MMO, then maybe Revan failed to kill the Sith all the way, or perhaps Revan got the help from a different Sith who took over after him.. It would have worked fine without the stupid "everyone dies" scenario) My tangent aside, I liked what you did at this part the most.

The only things I saw wrong were, first of all, Nihilis was weak because he got taken over by the dark side and its leech ability. In order to be a Sith master, He, (I believe Astaroth was the name you gave the main master) would have to have been so much more cunning and in full control of his faculties.

His only weakness would be his desire to rule everything which would put him at odds with Revan.

He would be more master manipulator I would think, than just an ancient sith.( We had that with Marka Ragnos in Jedi Academy, and he was so weak that some punk student could beat him.)

My point is, the living forever character archetype would never be able to defeat Revan at his most prime talent; that is, outsmarting him with his mind. The main sith Master would have to be able to get into Revan's head and defeat him from the inside. Otherwise, Revan would never have been captured and "turned".

The second thing that I'm not entirely sure about is all of the Sith trying to convert our Jedi. I mean,, I can see Jedi giving a Sith a second chance, but unless the Sith is a Revanchist, they wouldn't want anymore competition. It just makes no sense considering the source material.

It would also be a tad monotonous from a gameplay standpoint, if you keep hearing force users go "Join Me" ever two seconds. The way Kotor converts you is through your choices in everyday dealings. Kill some guy for no reason; dark side points earned. Save another from certain doom; light side points. Don't get me wrong though, there would at least be a few chances to be fully recruited, but that would more likely happen if they measure your LS/DS leanings. Heck, normally in these types of games you don't need to be personally recruited. Just take the right job for the right people and you start your path toward whatever group you're more likely to join.

Also, if you were writing a new Kotor game you would need to think of companion characters and how they relate to your overall plot. After all, even in narrative, the Kotor series (normally) prides the companions as much as the main player and makes them just as much a part of the story.

However, other than those few reservations, I like where you're thinking from. It definitely would have tied a neat little bow on all of the dangling plot threads that Obsidian and Bioware threw out and never tied up. Plus it would have achieved what a Kotor game is supposed to: Start your character as a witness to galactic events and then make them the centerpiece of the greatest galactic battle that you can create!

Edit__

Uhm this is a bit more a review than just reading it. Sorry if I sound pretentious.

The Exile's "Getting shot in the face" ability really wasn't that effective in the novel IMHO :P

Nah, that wasn't at all pretentious I thought. Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't bother adding companions into it because I suck at that type of thing, but I think companions could be quite easily incorporated into a story like mine. And they would be, as it wouldn't be a KotOR game without party members.

I agree with you about Nihilus', maybe the consuming thing could be scrapped, but it wouldn't make the Exile fighting him pointless because the Exile's wound in the force ability makes him/her capable of challenging those even stronger than Revan in the force.

Yeah good point about the converting. I was just looking for a way to make the player join the Sith earlier in the game and not feel like they're a Jedi, or at least a dark side player that everyone keeps calling a Jedi. I like the idea of not being affiliated with the Jedi or the Sith at the beginning.

As for the private investigating thing being linear - well that's true, but it's no more linear than the Exile returning to Republic space. The motive can be player decided, though, giving the illusion of it feeling less linear. A light side player would be investigating for justice, a dark side player might just be in it for the credits, or exploiting an opportunity to make trouble on the planet.

Updated version.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III: The Unknown Regions 2.0

It's two years after The Sith Lords. A high council of bureaucrats from Alderaan have been assassinated. You were one of the Jedi who switched off the lightsaber years ago, turned an private investigator, who has been sent to discover who the assassins were. The Alderaanians don't hire the Republic to investigate this, as they are trying to establish independence.

You arrive on the planet and start snooping around, to the point where the assassins begin taking notice of you. Eventually the assassins confront you to shut you up. Only the assassins are Sith and discover you are force sensitive, so they make you an offer - join them or die.

They killed the bureaucrats because they were pacifists and wanted to have them replaced by leaders who are more accepting of the Sith. These Sith, like the Sith of KotOR II, only care about the destruction of the Jedi. If they can, they will manipulate everyone possible into perceiving the Jedi as vermin, killing those who defy them. Anyway, a Jedi Knight tracking the events arrives on the scene.

Now you must make a choice - help the Jedi or help the Sith. Whoever you help, wins the fight. If you help the Sith, you go with them to some Sith planet (not Korriban) to train. If you help the Jedi, you go to Coruscant to train, or maybe Tython, where the Jedi first originated from.

During your training, you can set the gender and alignment of Revan and the Exile in a history test. Following your training, you're sent, under the guidance of a master, on an important mission, but regardless of who you help, the planets you visit during your adventure are the same. This master should be a history buff who can provide useful background information on the events of KotOR I & II to new players.

Anyway, if you helped the Jedi, then you must find the MacGuffins that lead Revan to the discovery of the Sith empire. If you helped the Sith, then you must find the MacGuffins and destroy them so that the Jedi can never discover their empire. Throughout your adventure, you will be confronted by Jedi or Sith trying to stop you from completing your mission.

I'd say the MacGuffins should be split amongst four or five planets. They don't have to be Sith planets, either, as the enemy Sith I had in mind are remnants of Naga Sadow's empire. They may have conquered a few planets from the Great Hyperspace War and "forgotten" about them for a time, until they begin attacking the Republic again.

During the process of discovering or destroying the MacGuffins, your master is killed in battle. Once you have discovered or destroyed all the MacGuffins, your allies gather and a space battle on the fringes of the outer rim ensues.

Just before that, I think would be a good time for the player to potentially have a confrontation with their party members. This would depend on influence and the alignments of the crew. Light side and dark side won't work together, so in that case, there would be a fight, as there was in KotOR.

If you are light side, then the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians gather and go and confront the Sith. If you are dark side, then the Sith you helped are planning to overthrow the emperor, Lord Astaroth, and so go to do battle with them anyway.

As you would discover throughout the plot, civil wars are not so uncommon among the Sith. In fact, the Sith recently plunged into a civil war, caused by destabilisation of their leadership as a result of assassinations of key leaders.

Revan and the Exile were the ones responsible for the assassinations. Astaroth doesn't know that, though, and thinks one of the Sith Lords, Darth Ra, was responsible, because she took credit for them to get closer to him.

She fabricated evidence that that the dark council were planning to overthrow him, so he ended up being pleased about the assassinations. As a result, Ra became Astaroth's new apprentice.

Anyway, during the space battle, you board the enemies capital flagship and fight your way to the main bridge to confront Ra. You kill her and your allies win the space battle. During your adventure, you gather more allies prior to the battle, as you did in KotOR II. They could be from the Exchange, they could HK droids and so on, the types of allies would depend on alignment.

Following the space battle, you and your army march on further into the depths of the Sith empire, for the next battle, which is against forces orbiting above the Sith world of Khar Delba, who are already engaged in battle against each other. Your ship is shot down in the space battle and you crash land on the planet.

Since the planet is crawling with Sith, light side players must play along and pretend to follow the Sith. During the search for parts to repair the ship, you come across cult members who identify themselves as Revanites, who identify their leader as, you guessed it... Revan.

Revan plans to defeat the Sith from within. Revan infiltrated one of the Sith factions, rose through the ranks, became one of the leaders, assassinated the dark council members and instigated a civil war between them. The Exile followed suit and joined the war effort. They both look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/DSRevan.jpg/200px-DSRevan.jpg

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/214182-118145-darth-nihilus_large.jpg

The Exile takes on the appearance of Darth Nihilus, as it turns out Nihilus was the Exile's other half, as Revan explains to the Exile when they meet again.

Anyway, you learn that Revan was interested in something at the Sith base of Naga Sadow on Khar Shian, the moon of Khar Delba. Revan went there to check it out, along with the Exile. Once you find the parts to repair your ship, you go to Khar Shian and fight your way to the base, which is heavily guarded.

Once you're inside the base, you won't find Revan and the Exile. What you will find is an ancient chamber with Sith holocrons. Revan believed that this chamber and the blade of the first Sith Lord Ajunta Pall, was significant, as you will soon discover. The holocrons try to corrupt you, light side players can turn to the dark side at this point if they choose.

In the base, you also find information about Revan's plans to attack the Sith capital, Kaas City, on Dromund Kaas. Once you leave the base you have a nice surprise waiting for you just outside the entrance - Revan and the Exile, with several Revanites standing behind them.

Revan explains that after Astaroth's forces were defeated above Khar Delba, Revan called off his or her attack fleet from yours. Revan, impressed by your ability to storm the base, explains the importance of stopping Astaroth and wants to join forces to take the fight directly to him.

Astaroth is over 300 years old. He learnt to transfer his consciousness to different physical bodies, prolonging his life. Revan believed that since this Sith empire were the survivors of Naga Sadow's empire from the Great Hyperspace War, the key to defeating Astaroth may be found within the teachings of Sadow himself.

Revan discovered that Ajunta Pall's blade is said to undo immortality, but only if the energy of the blade is harnessed by the dark side source that the Sith Lord you mean to kill drew their power from. In this case, Astaroth drew his power from Sadow's holocrons, before the moon was taken by Revan's forces.

Revan believes that he or she cannot kill Astaroth, and only a wound in the force like the Exile can challenge him, as the wound hasn't fully healed and the Exile still has that force god like ability. That's right Revan fans, Revan claims the Exile is more powerful.

Revan plans to direct his or her fleet in the final space battle above Dromund Kaas, while the Exile storms the citadel to confront Astaroth in the throne room. Revan wants you to help the Exile get to the citadel, then fight off the waves of Sith who try to get to the citadel entrance to protect it.

You go to Dromund Kaas and fight your way to the citadel with the Exile, while Revan commands his or fleet in the space battle above. Revan's legendary tactical prowess is needed to defeat Astaroth's main fleet, otherwise all would be lost.

You get to the citadel entrance and stay behind, protecting it from the waves of oncoming Sith. Meanwhile the Exile, armed with Ajunta's powered blade, fights his or her way to the throne room to challenge Astaroth in a player controlled battle.

While that is going on, Revan is confronted on his or her command ship by a Sith Lord who snuck on the ship. In a player controlled battle, Revan must defeat this Sith Lord, then resume command of the space battle.

The Exile manages to wound Astaroth with the blade, weakening him, but cannot defeat him. Astaroth begins overpowering the Exile, mainly with force lightning, to the point where the Exile is crippled and calls out to you via his or her special ability to form connections with others, to come and help him or her defeat Astaroth.

You arrive at the throne room and defeat a wounded Astaroth, who can now be killed permanently. The Exile is incapacitated during the battle. Following the defeat of Astaroth, the space battle concludes, with Revan's forces triumphing.

Okay, now for the endings.

Ending 1: LS Revan, LS Exile, LS PC: Revan goes to the throne room to meet up with you and the Exile. You're all Jedi, and naturally want to get the hell out of Sith space and go back home. Revan orders you to order your forces to attack the Revanites. They are the last Sith that stand in the way of peace.

The Revanites come after you for betraying them and to their shock, Revan and the Exile help you attack the Revanites and escape the citadel on a small ship. The space battle is won by the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians and this is where we'll see Revan reunite with Bastila, Carth, Canderous and so on.

They obviously want to know what the hell happened and what Revan has been doing all this time and Revan says it's a long story, fade to black. Fast forward to the future and there are big celebrations going on throughout the galaxy, like in Return of the Jedi.

Ending 2: DS PC: Going dark side means killing Revan and the Exile, either because they're Jedi, or because they're a threat to your power. You kill a wounded Exile in combat in the throne room, then order your forces to attack Revan's ship while his or her guard is down and do what Malak couldn't do - finish the job. Of course, there will be a few angry Revanites who attack you, but they are no match for your power. Once you crush some opposition, the other Revanites won't dare to challenge you and therefore you will be seen as the new emperor of the Sith.

Ending 3: This one is where you're light side, but one of, or both of Revan and the Exile are dark side. If the Exile is dark side, you fight the Exile in the throne room, and try to redeem the Exile. If you succeed, the Exile returns to the light and if not, you have to kill the Exile. Same with dark side Revan, except you don't confront Revan alone, as Revan is more powerful than you are. You confront Revan with a team of Jedi and end up redeeming or killing Revan. So you still get the happy ever after ending, it's just that it may be without Revan and the Exile there to celebrate with you.

The end. Or if you can think of better endings, feel free to share your ideas..

Guest R2-X2

I read your first version and skimmed the second, and I have to say I like your idea.

As Melkior already said, it seems like a good link between K1 and K2, much better than TOR will ever be able to. Also, the ending seems good IMO, I especially like the fact of not killing Revan 1v1 (DS Char) but destroying his ship, which always leaves room for someone surviving...

To the Exile vs Astraroth fight: I could imagine fighting the Sith without having any single force power, as he drained it all from one, which would have killed anyone but the Exile.

that ignores the Revan novel and Old Republic MMO.

Thank you :)

I read your first version and skimmed the second, and I have to say I like your idea.

As Melkior already said, it seems like a good link between K1 and K2, much better than TOR will ever be able to. Also, the ending seems good IMO, I especially like the fact of not killing Revan 1v1 (DS Char) but destroying his ship, which always leaves room for someone surviving...

To the Exile vs Astraroth fight: I could imagine fighting the Sith without having any single force power, as he drained it all from one, which would have killed anyone but the Exile.

Thank you :)

Thanks.

Good point about the fight. I just wanted the Exile to be useful rather than be the add on as Revan and the main PC do all the important stuff.