Sign in to follow this  
MrPhil

Star Wars Episode II Expanded

Well, I always tought it was stupid to cut good parts of a movie just to fit a certain time/timing. I know a movie has to have a certain rythm to-it in order to maximize profit on-it, but I think it is wrong to just cut good scenes for it. And I've always tought that the scenes that were cut to AotC shouldn't have been. Now since I own the disc, I tought to myself: what the heck prevent me from editing the movie and manually add them myself. Well it seems copyrighted stuff just won't let me make a new film out of this. Just my luck. I've tried every possible way I could try, but the only alternative I could think was download an avi from the net and find all the deleted scenes myself on the internet and add them afterwards.

Anyway, I never got to do-it. T'was a few years ago. And now, I'd loike to ask if anybody here have any clue how I could extract said files and edit them myself with any program (if its free and in english, that would be even better).

Any help would be appreciated.

Click here.

Check that site out, as well as originaltrilogy.com. There's extended versions of all 3 prequel movies (though be warned that the RotS one includes the Shaak Ti death scene, which is non-canon) and tons of fan edits. I personally suggest the extended versions of Episode I and II and Adywan's A New Hope: Revisited. Especially Revisited. These were made before the Blu-Rays, so they're not HD and don't have any of the newer deleted scenes. The extended prequels are also not color corrected or anything like that.

I believe originaltrilogy.com also has tutorials and such on how to do these things yourself, if you would prefer to do it yourself. Or if you wanted to do a more canon-minded extended version of Episode III. lol.

So I've got to subscribe to download the extended version? Do I have to register my Star Wars copy in some way as well?

So I've got to subscribe to download the extended version? Do I have to register my Star Wars copy in some way as well?

Subscribe? I don't believe so, I don't think I ever did anything of the sort... Maybe they changed something?

Checking it out...

Okay, there's a link to fanedit.info on there, which is where the actual downloads are. Fanedit.org is just like a database.

So head on over to fanedit.info, and on the top hit Star Wars, and the extended editions are near the bottom.

The way downloading there works is a little unusual. And the extended prequels are only available in NTSC, for what it's worth. So if you're in Europe or somewhere else that uses PAL, you might have some difficulty getting it to play.

And no, you don't need to register your copy of the movie in any way. It's sort of a benefit of the doubt type thing. Like game ROMS. As long as you legally own a copy of the movie or game or whatever, it's legal to download.

Hope it works out for you!

Okay, I'm in america so NTSC's perfect. But you said the actual way to download is unusual, which is also my advice. I can't for the love of god find how to download them. All I could download was a 14.4k file. So I guess I have to insert my disc in my computer dvd player? How do you make-it work?

Did you unrar/unzip the file? It has directions on what to do next in there. Something involving a program called jdownloader, I think it was.

For an explanation for this, the real download is a disc .iso, and is a bit large for most filesharing sites and such. So the iso is compressed into a rar file which is split into about 70 individual pieces, each one uploaded separately. Downloading 70 things from something like rapidshare would be rather obnoxious, so that's where jdownloader comes in. When you download the file you already got, it contains directions on where to find jdownloader and how to use it, and a file that you open with jdownloader. That file is basically a fancy list of links too all 70 parts, and jdownloader downloads them all automatically.

I was a bit confused when I first encountered it as well, but once you figure it out it's not too bad. Though a torrent would be simpler.

Okay, I figured-it out, thank you ;) and yup, 70files from rapid share would be hell.

Edit: okay, the thing is installed. But then, when I open the dlc files, this red stuff is written for a few second and nothing happens. Tried-it with Ep I Extended, EpII extended and Harry Potter Half-Blood prince, nothing works.

"Container error: Server claims: http://server/jdownloader.org/dlcrypt/service.phpdlc Fehler:null"

Edit 2: okay, I googled the issue and did as instructed: close jdownloader and open-it again, and now it works. Google is such a good friend :P

Edited by MrPhil

Okay, I managed to burn the bugger with "ImgBurn". I am not very familiar with-it, but I read it was a good free software. Little bonus, I am able to use the chapter function and it works better than what I've had with Nero precedently (Nero does its own chapters?!?). However, I always listen to my movies with subtitles (especially to understand damned Jar Jar Binks...) and so I must turn to this comunity again to ask wether anybody know of a free Burning program that would let me burn the DVD with its chapters and the subtitles (by the way, I know that there are subs, as my computer can get them. Also, if you could give me the proper procedure, that would help too (because there has to be an audio_ts folder, which nero, for example, does not allow to have...). Anyway, hope anybody know what I'm speaking about and can help me ;)

Huh, I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever tried accessing the subtitles on my copy, so I'm not really sure what the deal is with them.

Check out this thread, maybe it can answer your question:

Link.

I think posts 13-15 might be what you want.

But aren't you saying when you burned the disc that it wouldn't let you burn everything, and it left the subtitles off? But when you play the raw stuff on your computer, it has everything? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Nope, it did burn everything. Playing the disc on my computer with VLC allows me once more to access the closed caption/subtitles or not to. However, my DVD player (I did not try my other players though...) does not allow me to activate them as VLC does. When I click on the subtitle button of my DVD remote, there are no choices of subtitles at all. Reminds me of my Dexter DVD season that had subtitles I could only view on my computer but not on my DVD. However, Star Wars has subtitles available from the DVD. Crap.

Edit: So I left this message on their board...:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=19216

Edit 2: After a quick search, it seems they don't give a s*** about subtitles. One of them recommended to use DVD Flick in order to get the subtitles. (That's just perfect, running everywhere to get a crap-load of program. Ain't that the best way to get virus trojan and spywares??? Dang.) Will take a look at this Flick of theirs...

Edited by MrPhil

:|

Did you see if you could get subtitles from the DVD's main menu, in the set-up submenu? Or was this one menuless? I can't remember...

You mentioned that you've got another DVD player, as well as another DVD that's had a similar issue. Did the other DVD work on your other player, or did you not test that either?

I'm probably not being overly helpful now though, seeing as I'm mostly just throwing out guesses. But I guess I'd probably just try it on the other player and if it still doesn't work... I don't know. :unsure:

:|

Did you see if you could get subtitles from the DVD's main menu, in the set-up submenu?

No, I cannot on Ep 1. Only option on this menu is "Play movie"

Or was this one menuless? I can't remember...

Episode 2 has a menu more extensive. Options are "Dolby 5.1", "Dolby 2.1", "Play movie" and "Resume movie".

You mentioned that you've got another DVD player

Well, to be exact, I've got 1 Blu-Ray disc player (no subs availables from either movies nor Dexter serie), one DVD player and a X-Box 360. Did not test my new dvds on the regular DVD player, but with Dexter, it was the same.

as well as another DVD that's had a similar issue. Did the other DVD work on your other player, or did you not test that either?

2 things of note:

1- Dexter has no subtitles. It has closed captions, which I understand are not exactly the same (though it visually is).

2- Both Dexter (when the Characters are speaking spanish) and star wars do have subtitles for the parts in huttese.

I'm probably not being overly helpful now though, seeing as I'm mostly just throwing out guesses. But I guess I'd probably just try it on the other player and if it still doesn't work... I don't know. :unsure:

Yeah, me too. Hopefully, maybe I'll be able to get help from them (Cynthia, in particular, seems to have something pretty interesting...)