Sign in to follow this  
Mandalore

Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Does anyone know what the actual equations of the Seldon Plan shown through the Prime Radiant actually are?

True. Although there is a form of psychohistory that people are working on, but it's not the real Seldon kind. It's more just looking at history and seeing what happened before, no real statistics involved.

Does anyone know what the actual equations of the Seldon Plan shown through the Prime Radiant actually are?

Reading that made my head hurt.

Guest Zander

I love it too, although when I first read it , I had to read the trilogy "backwards" as I couldn't get into the first book for some reason. But reading it as a "prequel" was fine, and now I read them in sequence, like a normal person.

I'm not sure I like the last 2 in the series so much, as they seem to be trying desperately to integrate his Robot universe into the Foundation universe, but I do still love the trilogy.

I got all of them at once (except Foundation's Edge, I got that before the rest), so I'm reading them in chronological order. I've just read the two prequels, I'm half way through the original Foundation and I've also read Foundation's Edge.

Guest Zander

The "prequels" are Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation, followed by the original trilogy, then as sequels, Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth.

I must admit that I am somewhat prejudiced against the prequels and sequels. I was a teenager when I first read the trilogy, and later attempts to "integrate" Foundation into the "I, Robot" universe just jarred. If you read the Foundation series in isolation form the rest of Asimov's work, it works just fine. However, if you have read his other novels and the "I, Robot"* stories, there are jagging contradictions, hence my misgivings on the last two. Regardless, the Foundation series is a fantastic read.

I am happy to see that a series that I enjoyed in my long-forgotten youth is still going strong.

That's good. Foundation's Edge was the first Asimov book I read, and I'm currently going through the series as a stand-alone group, apart from his other stuff. I may read Robots of Dawn after, but maybe not.

Guest Zander

That's good. Foundation's Edge was the first Asimov book I read, and I'm currently going through the series as a stand-alone group, apart from his other stuff. I may read Robots of Dawn after, but maybe not.

I'm glad Isaac is still going strong. May I ask which other authors you have read in the "classic" era of the Genre?

As a matter of fact, the Foundation actually introduced me to it all, so Asimov is actually the only one. Who do you recommend?

Guest Zander

OK list begins................... (But no guarantees that they are still available)

Author: Isaac Asimov

Prelude To Foundation - This puts most of his writings in sequence/order.

Author Arthur C. Clarke

2001 and its sequels, then anythig available from him.

There are others out there, so search.