======================================================

AUTHOR: Darth Shan
NAME: K1 and TSL Difficulty Options
CREDITS:

FILENAME: K1_and_TSL_Difficulty_options.rar
FILE SIZE: 4 KB
DATE RELEASED: 3/30/2007, revised 31. May 2016

DESCRIPTION:
If you try to rebalance your modded Kotor games, this really comes in handy. Boss too strong? Crazy rebalance? Change your options in game, even while fighting!

Tired of messing with your config.ini? Some think, correctly, that both KotORs are fairly easy games. Especially when it comes to replaying them, this may become annoying. But you are ill advised to reset difficulty setting manually in your configuration files. Why? Because 3 (highest in K1) and 4 (highest in TSL) set difficulty to default, i.e. more easy than in ingame difficulty.

This mini-mod brings a solution: Set your difficulty level in-game! All you need is a simple 2da.file.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Drop the corresponding files manually in the folders where they belong.

Recommended: "Normal". If you are an elite gamer OR like to use heavily modded Override folders for your Kotor games, then you have the option to use the "hardcore" settings which tweak all levels one step, i.e. easy becomes normal, normal difficult and so on, see below for details.

Regarding compatibility: the files employ a simple trick, they use dialogue.tlk-lines from the standard tlk.file, to be precise: "Choke" and "Horror" from the Force Powers entries. So compatibility is universal.

COMMENTS
Here are the stats:

Kotor, normal difficultyopt.2da

[cfg.ini] descr. multiplier
0 Easy 1.00
1 Normal 1.75 (I tweaked this one, default was 1.5)
2 Difficult 2.75
3 Horror 3.50

Kotor, hardcore 2da

0 Easy 1.50
1 Normal 2.50
2 Difficult 3.50
3 Horror 4.50
(The last should be near to insane.)

TSL, normal 2da

0 Easy 0.50
1 Normal 1.00
2 Difficult 1.50
3 Choke 2.00
4 Horror 2.50

TSL, hardcore 2da

0 Easy 1.00
1 Normal 1.50
2 Difficult 2.00
3 Choke 2.50
4 Horror 3.00
(TSL is more b*tchy than its predecessor, in some areas 4 is still ridiculous, in others - for instance 804DRO or 152HAR you are going to have a hard time.)

If you still find the game too easy, get Beancounter's Hardcore mod. In conjunction with this mod you should have every opportunity to become one with the Force.

A final remark, if you are a fervent modder, I added one additional line respectively (Choke / Insanity), but you can do nothing with it, setting the difficulty level in the cfg.ini to 4, 5 or higher will mar the AI (yes, that is still possible with Kotor).

My thanks go to Fred Tetra, master tool creator.

BUGS: None, I hope.

PERMISSIONS: You may use this mod in every way you wish. Don't forget to curse me when you die on Peragus.

THIS MODIFICATION IS PROVIDED AS-IS AND IS NOT SUPPORTED BY BIOWARE/OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT OR LUCASARTS OR ANY LICENSERS/SPONSORS OF THE MENTIONED COMPANIES. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE ABOVE MENTIONED COMPANIES OR THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE USAGE OF THIS FILE.

Updates will only come, when I am able to provide savegames (I am stuck after the Citadel, because I have not had time to go through the game twice.)

Click here to download this file

• Like 1