Darth_Sapiens

Making kotor tool maps

Hey guys, I think I have something exciting here, it isn't bullet proof yet but I think I am hot on the tail of creating kotor tool maps,

well, the kotor tool ".MAP" is actually a jpeg renamed to MAP, basically a shot from the top down of a module's floor (not that tricky to do),

then, the info of interest, and hard-ish part is in the mapinfo.BFD this is what gives the module editor information like the offsets of the picture and I think the rotation. I'm a huge hex Noob, but even I can tell what the structure is, theoretically one can just append to the bfd an entry.

BFD is a pretty popular GNU format I think, If I am correct this means it can be turned into an xml, something a little more familiar to people, and then turned back to the bfd.

Here are some links to look up:

http://collaboratory.emsl.pnl.gov/sam/bfd/

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_File_Descriptor_library http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_Format_Description_language

So, I am not a great programmer, but I think a tool could be made to easily edit an append new map values.

What might this mean for modding?

(If I am not mistaken) custom module mods can be made easier, no more manual coordinate finding and GIT editing to place things any more, we can make up the maps for Kotor tool that hadn't been made yet.

this thread has a mirror-thread on LF. I'll post any updates I find here or there.

Hello if you are still on this site. the links are old and were you at all successful into creating maps for the module editor? I need to create those maps for the ones that are missing. Thank you in advance.