Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Bad graphics with new graphics card (Radeon 6870)

Hopefully this is the right section for this.

So I recently built myself a new PC. It has Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, an AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card, an Intel i5 2400 processor clocked at 3.1 Ghz, and 8GB of DDR3 1666 Corsair Vengeance RAM. The machine works very well with Fallout New Vegas, which I can run at "High" (4 sample AA, 8 sample Anisotropy, HDR, 1920x1080 res, etc.)

KotOR 2, however, runs horribly. I installed the game according to the instructions on Lucas Forums. The game starts up fine and there are no crashes. It's the actual gameplay that is extremely laggy and low-quality. I'm positive that all of my drivers are up to date. I've done everything suggested in the "Tweak" guide. Problems occur on every possible setting, both in-game and in the AMD Catalyst Control Center application. The only thing that worked was rolling my Video Card driver back, but that's problematic since I play other games that require the latest driver.

Can someone help me out?

You said 'everything in the tweak guide' so maybe you've already tried, but did you do the lag fix in the ini file?

You said 'everything in the tweak guide' so maybe you've already tried, but did you do the lag fix in the ini file?

I did the "DisableVertexBufferObjects=1" thing, yes.

Radeon, eh? These cards are renowned for being pretty crappy at playing older games. I solved problems similar to this by installing Omega Drivers, but it's a last resort, because I'm not sure if the drivers get updated for the newer cards.

Radeon, eh? These cards are renowned for being pretty crappy at playing older games. I solved problems similar to this by installing Omega Drivers, but it's a last resort, because I'm not sure if the drivers get updated for the newer cards.

Yeah, I just rolled my drivers back using Device Manager in Windows. I'll update them again once I finish this KotOR 2 playthrough. Seems kinda odd that a driver from April 2011 works but a driver from April 2012 doesn't. How could that be?

Understandably, they keep messing with the OpenGL driver. ATi jumped on the chance to use DirectX when it first was released, so they've never had as good support for OpenGL Rendering as nIVIDIA. Older OpenGL drivers work better, so if you can find one of the old drivers and replace the current driver for OpenGL, the problem should be solved.