Sign in to follow this  
Boilpoint

TSL Config Files Question

Hey Guys,

I need some help understanding how TSL saves it's config information. I just installed my new copy of TSL, and was running into some odd things while trying to get the game setup the way I want it. It doesn't seem like the swkotor2.ini file really controls some of the configuration information. When I use the swconfig.exe it will change things like the resolution, but not adjust the .ini file in any way (and visa versa). Where does the swconfig.exe save it's adjusted config information?

Another confusing, but possibly related thing, is my key mapping. I originally mapped the number pad instead of the wasd keys since I use a left handed mouse. When I uninstalled the game, to try and start over from scratch on some mod adjustments I made, I made sure to remove all save and config files, and even blow away the LucasArts parent folder. However, when I re-install, it still remembers my key mapping. How is this possible? Is there some other location that a config file is being saved?

Some of my experiences seem to contradict what I've read about in forums. I did buy it new, but there's no way it's different than old copies right? Am I just missing some information? I figure some of you modders would have a better idea about how TSL works. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. - I am running Vista and using the adjusted Mss32.dll (if that matters).

I need some help understanding how TSL saves it's config information. I just installed my new copy of TSL, and was running into some odd things while trying to get the game setup the way I want it. It doesn't seem like the swkotor2.ini file really controls some of the configuration information. When I use the swconfig.exe it will change things like the resolution, but not adjust the .ini file in any way (and visa versa). Where does the swconfig.exe save it's adjusted config information?

It should be modifying your swkotor2.ini file. Try copying the game folder to the desktop. It's probably because you're using Windows Vista which put severything in Programs Files as read-only. Also, if you can get the game running, try goto the Settings Menu and use that. I find that swconfig.exe is very random and generally a waste of time.

Another confusing, but possibly related thing, is my key mapping. I originally mapped the number pad instead of the wasd keys since I use a left handed mouse. When I uninstalled the game, to try and start over from scratch on some mod adjustments I made, I made sure to remove all save and config files, and even blow away the LucasArts parent folder. However, when I re-install, it still remembers my key mapping. How is this possible? Is there some other location that a config file is being saved?

There shouldn't. Are you on 64-bit? Check C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files to see if you have duplicate copies..

P.S. - I am running Vista and using the adjusted Mss32.dll (if that matters).

Adjusting the Mss32.dll file should stabilise the game on Vista, if you can ever get to playing it.

Thanks for the reply Extreme. I actually do have the game running (launches much easier with the Mss32.dll), I just can't seem to make changes to the swkotor2.ini file that stick. I have tried changing things in the settings after launching the game, and those changes will stick, but they still won't be reflected in the swkotor2.ini file.

I am running 64-bit Vista, and the install directory is Program Files(x86), and checked to make sure there was no duplicate in the regular Program Files. I have tried changing the permissions on the entire LucasArts folder, but didn't seem to help much. That is a good idea about installing it to the desktop though, I'll give that a try and see if it helps.

Wow, huge difference with how the .ini file is working once I installed TSL to the desktop instead of either Program Files folder. I'm kinda a neat freak who likes to keep everything in it's place, but it really seems to clear up all the weird issues I was having, so I'll just leave it there. Thanks again Extreme!

• Like 1