Deadlystream Forum Rules
General Forum Rules
The Deadlystream forum is a civil community, and the rules have been put in place to maintain this. Please be friendly when posting here.
1. General Posting Habits
- Threads and posts must be placed in their appropriate forums: check out the forum description before posting your message.
- Before posting a new topic, do a search to see if there is already a recent thread on the subject. If there is already a thread similar to what you’d like to post, feel free to read it and post a reply in the existing thread. If you can find no suitable thread that has received new posts recently you may post your own. Do not revive threads that have not had any activity for months or years this way unless you have something of substance to add to the topic.
- Be specific when you name your topic. This will aid in topic searches and help prevent someone from posting something you already have.
- Please refrain from starting topics on your life experiences. Deadlystream has blogs for each user, and that would be a wonderful place to post such topics instead.
- Try to stay on-topic. Discussion is a good thing and is encouraged, but if what you have to say deviates a lot from the topic, do not post it in that thread. Consider starting your own thread instead. This is a matter of respect to the thread starter.
- If you open a topic requesting help with a game or a specific modification, you must list all modifications that you currently have installed. Inaction or inability to list your installed modifications will result in our inability to provide assistance; we can't help if you can't provide this information.
You cannot, in any way, insult (or "flame") someone else on the board. People may not be insulted just because their opinion differs from yours. Flaming includes calling people names, insulting them, or saying offensive things to them. This also includes harassment (the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands).
Any flaming will result in one warning, after which your posting ability will become restricted and if necessary you will be banned.
Spamming is strictly prohibited. Your post needs to contribute to the discussion or the topic. Spam Details:
- Do not post messages that are irrelevant to the topic or attempt to derail the conversation. Your posts should contribute to the thread in some manner.
- Avoid simplistic replies that include negligible discussion; "I agree" or "This!" as replies aren't necessary, and you can easily use emote reactions on a post in their place.
- You may not post threads about the amount of posts, post status, or rank that you or a fellow member has.
- Refrain from making successive posts (edit your previous post instead).
- Refrain from making many threads in rapid succession; if possible, try to consolidate anything you'd like to speak about to fewer threads that cover broader topics.
- Do not start topics solely designed for posting spam. Find some other forum to work out your inanity.
- Do not spam the Private Message (PM) mailboxes of other users.
4. Inappropriate Language
Refrain from using excessive profanity in your posts. Basically, let the censor do its job. Don't attempt to undermine it.
Avoid using leet/IM/chatspeak in your posts. This is a forum, not an instant messenger or a cell phone so please make an effort to use proper English to make your posts easier to read and understand. [Example of chatspeak: "h0w r u m8" --> "How are you mate?"]
We are aware that this is an international forum where not everyone speaks English as their native language. Everyone can make grammar and spelling mistakes and that's okay; as long as a post is broadly intelligible, no other users should attempt to correct one's English, nitpick grammar, and so on.
Please do not make posts simply to move the topic back up to the top of the forum. This is called ‘bumping,' and outside of very specific circumstances it isn't allowed. The circumstances where it is allowed include:
- You have made a thread requesting help but have received no helpful replies as yet, and your thread is now both more than halfway down the forum's first page AND you posted your thread over two weeks ago.
- An existing thread dealing with an issue you're currently experiencing includes some relevant information, but your issue persists. You may continue discussing from it.
- A mod submission thread hasn't been bumped in some time, but you need to report an incompatibility, error or other meaningful matter to the modder.
- You have meaningful contributions to add to any unlocked staff/administrative post.
- You have meaningful contributions to add to a work-in-progress, tech demo, tool or tutorial thread (and the project in question hasn't been declared defunct).
6. Usernames and Personalization
Do not duplicate anybody's nickname, avatar, and/or signature. You may not wrongfully take the name of someone outside the community, such as names or nicknames of game developers, moderators of other communities, and so on. Impersonation is strictly prohibited.
7. Multiple Accounts
Multiple accounts are not allowed. You must also use a valid email address when registering. If you do not like your current account name, please create a thread in the Helpdesk Forum and the staff will assist you in changing your name.
8. Illegal Material
Do not discuss or post links to illegal material or discuss where to obtain illegal material (i.e. where to get illegal cracks, etc.). Do not post magazine scans and other copyrighted material. This is prohibited. Discussions about how to perform activities that are illegal in the US are also prohibited (i.e. torrents to acquire the games illegally, etc.).
Deadlystream may at times host files that circumvent DRM; in these instances, these files are only to enable the normal and legal use of the games they are made for. In all instances you must own the content you are using, and Deadlystream does not condone, promote, or enable piracy. Discussion about piracy is strictly prohibited.
9. Obscene Material
You may not post obscene material. This includes text and/or images that are pornographic, or which incite or encourage violence or discriminatory behavior.
While linking to legal and non-obscene websites is permissible, please do not specifically advertise other websites, nor make posts or threads about other websites or forums solely in an effort to direct traffic to them. You may include links in your signature, but you may not include links for the sole purpose of advertisement within your posts.
Commercial advertisement for companies, or products or services you are trying to sell, is strictly prohibited.
Despite being an old game, many users are new to them, and as Deadlystream hosts many bugfixes and content restorations deemed critical by the community, we can and should respect the importance this site, its download pages, and its forums have to other users. In areas where first-time players are likely to travel, major spoilers should be kept to an appropriate minimum and, where necessary to include, should be mentioned beforehand. This rule won't be too rigidly enforced, but for your fellow posters, please do try to be considerate.
You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
13. Appealing a Restriction of Privileges
If your posting, replying, uploading or downloading privileges are revoked for whatever reason, you may request a repeal of the restriction immediately after the imposition of the reduction. Please allow up to seven days for the appeal to be processed, and understand that, if an appeal is denied, the terms of your restriction's eventual removal (if any) will be at the sole discretion of the moderation. Any attempt to get around a revocation of privileges will result in an immediate ban. If your privileges are revoked you will be notified when and why via a PM.
14. Re-registration after a ban
You may not re-register after receiving a ban. If you re-register after you are temporarily banned, you will be banned permanently. If you keep re-registering, you will be IP-banned, preventing you from viewing the forums at all.
15. E-mail Addresses
For your own privacy and security, do not post your e-mail address in the forums. If you want somebody to contact you personally, then please use the Private Messaging system built into the forums, or turn on the option allowing other users to send you e-mail via your profile.
16. Thread Closure or Deletion
If you have reason to prevent a thread you've made from receiving further replies, you can ask a moderator to close your thread. Moderators may or may not approve the closure request at their sole discretion.
17. Reporting Posts
If you witness someone breaking the rules, don't post about it in the thread. Instead, please use the 'report post' button to inform the moderating staff of the problem. Please use it only to report posts that are in violation of the forum rules.
In almost all circumstances, all content on Deadlystream must be uploaded by the original creator(s)/owner(s) of the content, with limited exceptions. Uploading content that is owned by someone else is strictly prohibited, unless explicit permission can be demonstrated by the uploader. If you are found to upload content that is owned by another person without explicit evidence of permission, the first offense will result in a warning and removal of said content. Any additional infractions will result in a permanent ban.
Deadlystream Staff will, from time to time, reach out to authors of content not currently hosted on Deadlystream to see if there is an interest in having their content uploaded to Deadlystream. This activity should only be performed by Deadlystream staff members. While users may attempt to get in contact with modders who have yet to upload their content to Deadlystream and politely ask if they would do so, they should respect that modder's stance if they decline, and, most importantly, should not upload their content on their behalf, unless with express (and provable) permission!
In cases of abandonware mods (defined as being content which is no longer publicly available and whose authors have been entirely unreachable for a duration of no less than two years), a process exists for these mods to be reuploaded as archived content on Deadlystream; the specific guidelines are included in the second reply to this thread. If you wish to submit mod that qualifies, you may submit a request to the administrators and they will proceed with the steps towards having the mod publicly uploaded.
19. Sale of Modifications
The sale of modifications is strictly prohibited on Deadlystream. All hosted modifications on Deadlystream are to be released for free; any deviation from this will result in an immediate and permanent ban. Any attempt to link to a modification made for sale, or to sell a modification hosted at a third-party website, either through the Deadlystream PM system or Deadlystream forum system, will also result in an immediate and permanent ban.
While the sale of mods is strictly prohibited, allowing users to voluntarily tip mod creators (WITHOUT any expectation of reimbursement, implied or actual) is permitted, albeit with significant regulation. If you are an interested modder, please see the first reply to this thread for those regulations. Failure to abide by the regulations as listed may result in the revocation of your right to post your tipjar information on Deadlystream.
20. Users' Responsibilities
Maintaining a healthy forum environment is paramount to Deadlystream, and that includes being welcoming to new users. Whatever a user’s reasons for coming to Deadlystream, they should be respected and helped to the utmost ability of the regular users of this forum. This rule does not mean that our regulars should bend over backwards for new users; it does, however, mean that new users should be assisted to the best ability of our friendly regulars, should not be denied help over trivialities or incomplete information (ask for additional info WHILE helping them instead!), and should not be derided, talked down to, or otherwise dismissed for a lack of knowledge or familiarity with these games, modding, or even general tech-savviness. All users of Deadlystream should assume a user is friendly and willing to learn, however unfamiliar they are with what they may need help with, until and unless the user proves otherwise.
21. A Simple Catch-All
The most important rule of all: Don't be stupid. Use common sense.
This is a wonderful rule that covers all the loopholes. These rules are not a code of laws set in stone. Moderators will use their discretion to determine how they are best applied for the good of the community here.