Leilukin

Porting Juhani to TSL

I've been trying to port Juhani from KotOR 1 to TSL, with the goal of making her appear in TSL as an NPC.

I have extracted Juhani's textures (p_JuhaniBA01, p_JuhaniBB01 and P_JuhaniH01) in TGA format and models (p_juhani, p_juhanibb and p_juhanih) in MDL and MDX format from K1, used MDLEdit to open the models, switched them to KotOR 2 mode and save them. I have also made a UTC file for Juhani, changed her appearance in the UTC to Party_NPC_Juhani, and for testing purposes, edited the Ebon Hawk's OnEnter script to spawn Juhani on a certain spot on the Ebon Hawk when I enter the ship. The result is Juhani being invisible, even though a "Juhani" name tag will show up when I approach the spot where I set the script to spawn her.

hri65XF.png

So I'm wondering why does this happen, where I've done wrong, and how can I solve this issue. I'm especially very unfamiliar and inexperienced with editing models in general, so any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Did you save the model as ASCII in K1 mode, then load the ASCII in K2 mode and save as binary? Also, did compile it with the KOTOR 2 S_Female02 model files present?

It's been a while, but I think those were the necessary steps. The lips will likely need further adjustment like other K1 heads as well.

2 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

Did you save the model as ASCII in K1 mode, then load the ASCII in K2 mode and save as binary? Also, did compile it with the KOTOR 2 S_Female02 model files present?

It's been a while, but I think those were the necessary steps. The lips will likely need further adjustment like other K1 heads as well.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to convert the K1 models again with the additional steps you suggested, and I tried to compile the ASCII models with the KotOR 2 S_Female02 and S_Female03 files present (since p_juhanibb needs S_Female03), but the result is still the same.

It's worth noting that when I loaded the ASCII of p_juhanibb after saving its K1 binary as ASCII, I got this warning:

sIooC65.png

When I load the p_juhanih.mdl again after saving its K1 ASCII as K2 binary, I got this:

1nK7Df9.png

Make sure you are using the most recent version of MDLEdit, not the one from the downloads section - https://deadlystream.com/topic/5735-mdledit-bug-reporting-thread/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-73932

That bone count warning is outdated. The actual limit is 17/18. All the vanilla models are fine.

53 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Make sure you are using the most recent version of MDLEdit, not the one from the downloads section - https://deadlystream.com/topic/5735-mdledit-bug-reporting-thread/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-73932

That bone count warning is outdated. The actual limit is 17/18. All the vanilla models are fine.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that the MDLEdit version from the downloads section is outdated.

I decompiled and recompiled the models again with version v1.0.104b of MDLEdit. I don't get the warning and error any more, but Juhani still ends up being invisible, with only her name tag showing up in-game.

Both appearance.2da and heads.2da of TSL, including vanilla, have entries for Juhani, and I used Holocron Toolset make a UTC file for Juhani and set the appearance to Party_NPC_Juhani.

FBNdgsH.png

Sn5Vfrn.png

w6DGOJG.png

I finally managed to solve the invisible Juhani issue and get Juhani to appear in the game.

ofnJTG7.png

The invisible Juhani issue was caused by me initially using the p_juhani.utc from TSL's game files to make my own UTC file for Juhani, so I remade my UTC for Juhani by borrowing Bastila's UTC from TSL.

Fortunately, the issue wasn't caused by Holocron Toolset, since I have tried remaking Juhani's UTC with both KotOR Tool and Holocron Toolset and they worked. Something was wrong with the p_juhani.utc from TSL's game files that made Juhani invisible in the game even if you managed to port Juhani's models and textures, and thus her model not showing up in HT's Creature Editor as seen in my previous post. After I remade Juhani's UTC, now Juhani's model also shows up in HT's Creature Editor.

jp0J6Zd.png