Sign in to follow this  
N-DReW25

MOD:Unused Head Restoration Pack

Unused Head Restoration Pack

A Mod for Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic
Author: N-DReW25
1.1.0 Release Date: 18.06.2023

Installation:

Please install the K1 Community Patch FIRST before this mod!

Simply click on the TSLPatcher.exe and you'll be given 4 installation options. Each option will install 1 head (a single option may come with 2 heads depending on which one you pick) so pick which head you'd like, if you want all the heads you'll have to install the mod 4 times. 

Click the option you'd like to be directed to that options installation menu, click install and sit back and watch the TSLPatcher do its magic.

Repeat the process for any other heads you'd like to install!

Description:
Kotor 2 has a few popular heads which were cut from the final game, they include: Saedhe's unique head, Hussef's unique head and the "Jedi Master 4" head which was used for Kaevee.

Whilst these heads were restored in TSLRCM, no such restoration of unused heads exists for K1... until now!

This mod will present up to 5 restored faces which you will see across the Kotor galaxy, they include:

1) "Sith Apprentice 1 Head": In-game, the armored Sith Apprentice's use the 2nd Sith Apprentice Head variant whilst the 1st head variant is neglected. 
As only a texture exists for this head, I had to modify this head's texture to hide the mapping for the scar which is present for the 2nd Sith Apprentice Head
but not this one. This new Sith Apprentice head is used by the Taris Sith Govenor, the Dark Jedi in the Manaan Hangar, the Dark Jedi Master trio in the Leviathan Command Deck
and the Lehon Sith Master.

2) "Dirty Commoner Head Variant Male": This head is a variant of the classic Batu-Rem generic head with a dirty, scratched up reskin. 
This head will be used by the Infected Outcasts who you can cure in the Undercity.

3) "Dirty Commoner Head Variant Female": This head is a variant of the generic head used by Sarna with a dirty, scratched up reskin to match the male variant.
This skin is special as it was never included in either the PC or the XBOX versions of Kotor, so how did I get my hands on this texture?
When Aspyr released Kotor for the Nintendo Switch, they accidentally replaced the generic blonde white female head with this dirty head variant instead, resulting in
characters like Ice using this head texture instead of their usual blonde head. To restore this head for it's intended purpose (as a dirty head variant), I had the texture ripped
from the Switch and ported to PC.

From my observation, the Nintendo Switch version of Kotor uses an upscaled version of the XBOX textures upgrading their textures from 256x256 (the standard XBOX quality) 
to 1024x1024 resolution (This is why the graphics on the Nintendo Switch look so strange).
The skin included in this mod has been downsized to 256x256 to match the texture quality of the male head variant which WAS included in the PC game files.

This head will be used by the Infected Outcasts who you can
cure in the Undercity.

4) "Asian Commoner Head Variant Male": This head is listed in the game files amongst the other generic commoner heads, it can be assumed this head was scrapped and it's model became the basis 
of the PHMA01 player head. As of right now, this head will be used by Tanis Venn!

Why Tanis? Well, his unique appearance isn't really that 'unique'. His vanilla appearance uses the generic Tatooine Asian male head with a smuggler's jacket, by giving Tanis this previously unused
head it makes Tanis' appearance a proper 'unique' appearance.

5) "Asian Commoner Head Variant Female": This head is listed in the game files amongst the other generic commoner heads, it can be assumed this head was scrapped and it's model became the basis 
of the PHFA02 player head. As of right now, this head will be used by the Czerka Protocol Officer!

Why the Czerka Protocol Officer? Well, her unique appearance isn't really that 'unique'. Her vanilla appearance uses the generic Tatooine Asian female head with the Czerka clothing texture
locked in by default, by giving the Czerka Protocol Officer this previously unused head it makes her appearance a proper 'unique' appearance.

Please refer to the screenshots on this mod's Deadlystream download page for a visual reference.

Known Bugs:
This mod shouldn't have bugs but if there is Just PM me on Deadlystream.

The Sith Apprentice head might have a minor graphical error on it's right cheek, with the original texture this minor graphical error appears much worse and my modifications to the texture
was done to make this error less noticable. You can't really notice any graphical error unless you really keep your eyes peeled for it so you probably won't even notice it.

Incompatibilities:
Please report any incompatibilities!

Will be incompatible with any mod which adds "N_SithAppren01_H.tga" or "N_SithAppren01_H.tpc".

If you installed a mod which has "N_SithAppren01_H.tga", even if it's an AI Upscale, it will most likely restore the previously fixed graphical error on the Sith Apprentice's cheek.

Permissions:
Do NOT claim credit for this mod and do not use assets from this mod without my permission.

Thanks to:
SpaceAlex: For modifying the "N_SithAppren01_H" texture in his K1 Enhancement Pack mod, this mod was a basis for my own fixed texture!
Jacqylfrost: For porting the infamous female dirty commoner head texture from the Nintendo Switch, without his work this component wouldn't have been possible!
Bioware: For such an amazing game!
Aspyr: For including the female dirty commoner head texture on the Nintendo Switch!
Fred Tetra: For Kotor Tool!
Stoffee: For TSLPatcher!
Everyone who downloads the mod!

Legal:
THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT SUPPORTED BY BIOWARE/OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT, LUCASARTS, DISNEY OR ANY LICENSERS/SPONSORS OF THE MENTIONED COMPANIES. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE ABOVE-MENTIONED COMPANIES OR THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE USAGE OF THIS FILE.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    01/23/2023
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    No

• Like 1

Hello, N-DReW-25!

Thanks for this new release of yours.

I have a couple of questions/remarks:

1) Dirty Commoner Head Variant Male. From the screenshot it looks good, but I wonder what kind of texture file it uses because your modification doesn't seem to include one for it. Is it an original game's texture?

2) Dirty Commoner Head Variant Female. This one instead has its own texture in your modification, it seems (N_Comm_f_m2), but when I opened it, it confirmed the weirdness I think I noticed looking at the screenshot. The face is way too pale and clean compared to the rest of the texture.

3) Sith Apprentice 1 Head. I would like to ask more about this one. The game has two head textures for sith apprentices, N_SithAppren01_H and N_SithAppren02_H. You are replacing the first with your own version. From what I understand, you are telling us that the original game doesn't make any use of N_SithAppren01_H and that you wanted to use that one (modifying the texture to remove the scar that is present in the other Sith Apprentice texture) for a few NPCs?

Thanks!

PS - I just checked the restored female Asian head and I noticed some color weirdness/mismatch, as the screenshot here shows. Not something as egregious as in the Dirty Commoner Female case, but something that perhaps could also be addressed?

1571972331_StarWars_KnightsoftheOldRepublic2023-01-2419_22_42.png.5a865972d07272405632c161e782b423.png

12 hours ago, Salk said:

1) Dirty Commoner Head Variant Male. From the screenshot it looks good, but I wonder what kind of texture file it uses because your modification doesn't seem to include one for it. Is it an original game's texture?

Yes, it is an original vanilla texture which is left unused. The way it appears in this mod is that the head model makes reference to the unused texture in the MDL file, the only reason a texture would appear in the mod is either due to a fix or because the texture isn't part of the PC game.

12 hours ago, Salk said:

2) Dirty Commoner Head Variant Female. This one instead has its own texture in your modification, it seems (N_Comm_f_m2), but when I opened it, it confirmed the weirdness I think I noticed looking at the screenshot. The face is way too pale and clean compared to the rest of the texture.

Did you read the part in the readme where it says her texture was ported from the Nintendo Switch version of Kotor? It isn't included in either the PC or XBOX versions of Kotor, I suspect (baseless theory incoming) that maybe LucasArts has some sort of archive of Kotor, it's engine and assets which were used in the development of the Mobile, Xbox One and Switch ports of Kotor.

In the Nintendo Switch version, the Female Dirty Commoner Head Variant replaces the Blonde White Commoner head (Ice's vanilla head etc.) resulting in this:

FD_YWqJVgAQfMBD.png

The Nintendo Switch's textures were, from my observation, probably upscaled from the original XBOX textures meaning 256x256 textures went up to 1K in resolution. Aspyr might've mixed up the Blonde White Commoner head with this unused dirty head from their resources and added it to the game, this is all just a theory. All that matters is that this mod makes it avaliable for PC players.

Here is the original Switch texture, the dirt on her face might be more noticeable with this texture.

comm_w_f02.tpc

12 hours ago, Salk said:

3) Sith Apprentice 1 Head. I would like to ask more about this one. The game has two head textures for sith apprentices, N_SithAppren01_H and N_SithAppren02_H. You are replacing the first with your own version.

Nope, the 1st Sith Apprentice head is totally unused whilst the 2nd version is the one we see in the vanilla game.

12 hours ago, Salk said:

From what I understand, you are telling us that the original game doesn't make any use of N_SithAppren01_H and that you wanted to use that one (modifying the texture to remove the scar that is present in the other Sith Apprentice texture) for a few NPCs?

If I didn't remove the scar then the area of the head where the scar would appear would appear visually bugged, try removing N_SithAppren01_H from your Override folder and you'll see what I mean in-game.

There weren't very many appearances of the Sith Apprentice NPC model so I was left with very few places to restore the 1st Sith Apprentice head variant.

12 hours ago, Salk said:

PS - I just checked the restored female Asian head and I noticed some color weirdness/mismatch, as the screenshot here shows. Not something as egregious as in the Dirty Commoner Female case, but something that perhaps could also be addressed?

1571972331_StarWars_KnightsoftheOldRepublic2023-01-2419_22_42.png.5a865972d07272405632c161e782b423.png

I did notice the sides of the ears look bad but I didn't notice this little bit on the side of the head, I would have to check on the side of the vanilla PFHA02 head and see if this bug exists on that one. If it doesn't then I'll need to investigate the unused head texture and see if I need to change somethings though if the bug DOES appear on the actual player head then I might need to report this to the K1 Community Patch github.

• Like 1

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

20 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

Yes, it is an original vanilla texture which is left unused. The way it appears in this mod is that the head model makes reference to the unused texture in the MDL file, the only reason a texture would appear in the mod is either due to a fix or because the texture isn't part of the PC game.

Got it. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

Did you read the part in the readme where it says her texture was ported from the Nintendo Switch version of Kotor?

Yes, I did. I thought it does not really matter where it comes from in its original form. I just thought that in its current form the texture is not something I would ever wish to use. The face in there reminds me of the make-up used by Pris in Blade Runner and it doesn't match with the rest of the skin at all. As a player head or no, I find it unusable. I will take a look at the original Nintendo texture later.

26 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

If I didn't remove the scar then the area of the head where the scar would appear would appear visually bugged

I will try this later too. What I was trying to say was that in my game I already had an upscaled N_SithAppren01_H texture and from what I understand, you were telling us that it is never used in the game and that your modification restores it for a few NPCs. Correct? 

28 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

I did notice the sides of the ears look bad but I didn't notice this little bit on the side of the head, I would have to check on the side of the vanilla PFHA02 head and see if this bug exists on that one.

Yes, I have now recolored a little the texture to make the problem I reported a little less prominent but I am not 100% sure I would want to use this texture anyway because, as you said, it looks pretty much unfinished. I would really like to use it for variation, but, as I said, it seems it would need some work done. It's not as bad as the female dirty commoner head though...

Cheers!

17 hours ago, Salk said:

I will try this later too. What I was trying to say was that in my game I already had an upscaled N_SithAppren01_H texture and from what I understand, you were telling us that it is never used in the game and that your modification restores it for a few NPCs. Correct? 

Correct. Chances are if you're using an AI Upscale texture pack the mod author just grabbed all of the vanilla head textures and upscaled them without much thought as to what they actually upscaled.

My mod will restore the 1st SIth Apprentice Head and adds it to a select few NPCs in the game meaning you will see both the 1st and 2nd Sith Apprentice heads.

• Like 1

Hello again!

One more question: what head texture would the Sith Governor in Taris use in the original game? And do you know what other NPCs use that same texture?

Thanks!

(e) A detail about changing the appearance of the Dark Jedi in the Manaan Hangar. Shouldn't you also change the soundset value from 41 to 61 and perhaps other values in the .utc file?

Edited by Salk

On 1/26/2023 at 5:54 PM, Salk said:

Hello again!

One more question: what head texture would the Sith Governor in Taris use in the original game? And do you know what other NPCs use that same texture?

The Sith Governor uses the 2nd Sith Apprentice head texture.

From memory, the other NPCs who use the 2nd head in the vanilla game are: the Endar Spire Dark Jedi, the Sith Governor, a Sith Master on the Leviathan, Malak's Sith Aide on the Star Forge, some of Darth Bandon's goons and the Lehon Sith Master.

Thanks!

(e) A detail about changing the appearance of the Dark Jedi in the Manaan Hangar. Shouldn't you also change the soundset value from 41 to 61 and perhaps other values in the .utc file?

I might just do that, I chose that Dark Jedi because in vanilla he was a Twi'lek Sith Officer for some reason which I suspect K1CP fixed so I thought it'd fit in there.

• Like 2

Hello!

8 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

From memory, the other NPCs who use the 2nd head in the vanilla game are: the Endar Spire Dark Jedi, the Sith Governor, a Sith Master on the Leviathan, Malak's Sith Aide on the Star Forge, some of Darth Bandon's goons and the Lehon Sith Master.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

I might just do that, I chose that Dark Jedi because in vanilla he was a Twi'lek Sith Officer for some reason which I suspect K1CP fixed so I thought it'd fit in there.

I have locally done that and made a few other changes, like removing the available force powers that are restricted by armor. The change in appearance implies in fact, unless I am mistaken, that the NPC is wearing one.