Sign in to follow this  
JackInTheBox

Porting between games- Blender. MDLOps mandatory?

So i'm getting blender modeling(again), baby steps. So far so good. When i try to port armor models from K2 to K1, sometimes animations break(like half break). Ok, so i searched the forums, used MDLOps and fixed the model. Ok but why. Why cant Kotor Blender figure things out on its own, why cant it export it right. Is MDLOps mandatory for ports? Where is the problem. Some node(s) misnamed. Doesnt even seem to break every model, just ones that need separate supermodel.

26 minutes ago, JackInTheBox said:

So i'm getting blender modeling(again), baby steps. So far so good. When i try to port armor models from K2 to K1, sometimes animations break(like half break). Ok, so i searched the forums, used MDLOps and fixed the model. Ok but why. Why cant Kotor Blender figure things out on its own, why cant it export it right. Is MDLOps mandatory for ports? Where is the problem. Some node(s) misnamed. Doesnt even seem to break every model, just ones that need separate supermodel.

They need to be recompiled using the supermodel from each game as a reference, not sure if there is a way to do so in KotORBlender but there might be, hopefully someone else can shed more light on the situation though.

Obsidian added additional bones to the rigs for most of their new models, primarily the robes. Those obviously aren't going to work without TSL-specific supermodels and animations, which JC has ported to K1. The question is whether the internal supermodel node references remain consistent between the games in the binary model. Since KBlender compiles a binary blindly, any differences will cause that model to break in-game. Because MDLEdit and MDLOps work from ASCII models that don't contain any supermodel node references, they require the presence of the binary supermodel to compile against, determining the correct node values by reading that model during compile and matching by bone name. That allows the correct nodes to be used, as long as you compile against the correct supermodel. It's highly probable that JC's ported supermodels have differing node values from TSL for the added bones, thus causing KBlender-exported models to break.

You should be able to manually edit this in KBlender by editing the node number value in the "KOTOR Model Node" properties panel per bone. You'd have to load up the supermodels first and note all their bone node numbers, then check that against your ported models and correct where appropriate. Note that every node number needs to be unique, so any non-bone objects/meshes may also need to be adjusted to avoid conflicts.

• Thanks 1
  • Light Side Points 1

I see. Are you positive or is that a guess. There are not that many bones, but doing it per every model.

Edit:Huh,according to this thread, you are correct. You need to re-rig the model. Fugde. Was hoping to streamline this. Well back to MDLOps, i guess.