SetJudgment

What's preferred and what's different???

I've always been really curious with two major questions. What's preferred by the community? KotOR 1 Restoration or K1 Community Patch? I know they aren't compatible anymore from what I've seen. But I've always been curious what the community prefers and why, plus why they don't prefer the other not chosen.

Secondly What are the differences between them? I've read both readme's extensively. And without playing the game through which each mod separately I'm just curious from a simple explanation what's different and why they aren't compatible anymore.

All the modders are amazing here and I love all the work put into this game so thank you all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SetJudgment said:

What are the differences between them

K1R, as its name suggests, is primarily focused on restoring content that was cut from the game. I think the primary examples are an additional level of the Black Vulkar base on Taris and the Pazaak tournament on Manaan. It does include some bug fixes, but that isn't why people use it.

K1CP, on the other hand, is exclusively focused on fixing bugs and other issues. It makes the occasional quality-of-life change, but for the most part it is intended to be fairly seamless and unobtrusive.

1 hour ago, SetJudgment said:

why they aren't compatible anymore

As K1CP has expanded, the scope of changes it makes to various modules mean that it is no longer considered safe to use with K1R. There are certain types of changes that can't be integrated with TSLPatcher. Hard conflicts like two mods overwriting the same script that would require manual merging. I'm sure with some effort they could be made compatible, but nobody has expressed any interest or volunteered to create such a patch that I am aware of.

• Like 1

Well, personally I find K1 CP to be the one and only true mandatory modification for KotOR (possibly together with a good dialog.tlk replacement - there are several available).

Because it is actually a patch and the number of bugs it fixes is astounding. DarthParametric is the current maintainer and he's done and is still doing as today an excellent job at making the game run as good as it can be.

K1R is a much older project which is unfortunately no longer updated and it does include its own share of bugs so choosing K1 CP over K1R is a no brainer.

But there is lots of good restorations in K1R as well and the good news is that N-DreW25 is working on a "lite" version which is compatible with K1 CP.