Natural Law

HK-47 Overhaul Mod, TSL Conversion?

There's nothing you can do to alleviate Workshop compatibility problems. Aspyr's implementation makes it fundamentally incompatible. All you can do is advise people not to use it. If they insist on using it regardless, that's their problem.

8 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

There's nothing you can do to alleviate Workshop compatibility problems. Aspyr's implementation makes it fundamentally incompatible. All you can do is advise people not to use it. If they insist on using it regardless, that's their problem.

so there's absolutely no way for my mod to only edit the HK part of the appearance.2da file? It will always be incompatible with any other mod that uses that same file?

I think I'm already subbed to multiple mods that use that file and I've never had them conflict with each other before.

No, of course not. You use TSLPatcher, same as any other mod.

But that has nothing to do with the Workshop. Their setup means that in the case of duplicate files it only uses the most recently installed version.

Just now, DarthParametric said:

No, of course not. You use TSLPatcher, same as any other mod.

But that has nothing to do with the Workshop. Their setup means that in the case of duplicate files it only uses the most recently installed version.

ah ok. I've only ever used the workshop for kotor 2 and manually pasted in the override folder for kotor 1 so I'm not familiar with TSLPatcher. I'll have to look into it, but I'm right in saying that its incompatible with the workshop right? I'd have to move everything over to TSLPatcher?

2 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

I would strongly advise you against uploading it to the Workshop, if that is what you are asking.

what I'm asking is whether or not I can use OTHER workshop mods as well as TSLPatcher for my own mod.

Idk if the steam workshop would still override any TSLPatcher files, in which case I'd need to redo all my modding for the game to not use the workshop at all

7 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

As I said above:

So it would be compatible with any workshop mods that dont use the appearance file. So I at least need to install the non workshop tslrcm. Good to know, thanks

I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to set up TSLPatcher. It says to put all mod files into a folder called tslpatchdata which is simple enough, but then it asks to put UNALTERED copies of any 2DA files into that same folder. Well I've already got the altered version of the appearance file in that same folder so idk what it wants me to do.

msedge_cC50ciOgNZ.png.839e2adee356fd1877c41a3c788692e6.png

1 hour ago, Existential Selkath said:

So it would be compatible with any workshop mods that dont use the appearance file. So I at least need to install the non workshop tslrcm. Good to know, thanks

I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to set up TSLPatcher. It says to put all mod files into a folder called tslpatchdata which is simple enough, but then it asks to put UNALTERED copies of any 2DA files into that same folder. Well I've already got the altered version of the appearance file in that same folder so idk what it wants me to do.

msedge_cC50ciOgNZ.png.839e2adee356fd1877c41a3c788692e6.png

If you look at the readme file which comes with TSL Patcher, it tells you exactly what to do.

You use ChangeEdit to compare the modified and unmodified files and it stores the new row information in changes.ini for you.

Honestly, read the whole readme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marius Fett said:

If you look at the readme file which comes with TSL Patcher, it tells you exactly what to do.

You use ChangeEdit to compare the modified and unmodified files and it stores the new row information in changes.ini for you.

Honestly, read the whole readme.

I'm trying to read the whole thing but its hard to remember all that info at once and pick out the relevant info.

Anyway, thanks for the help

1295185716_swkotor22022-07-0615-37-43.png.dcf96e572c13a7abd037839712762a56.pngIT WORKS!

I mean, the HK-50 droids are invisible, likely because I haven't given them a texture yet, but it works!

524341885_swkotor22022-07-0615-45-43.png.4de13aa254d640aa646f5ab64d3cc55a.png

Thanks again for all the help this thread has been. You can expect a kotor 2 version of the mod as soon as I've created the new textures, and ironed out some kinks.

I've just realised though, surely if I haven't given the HK50s textures they should just use the 47 ones instead right? so why are they invisible?

might not be as simple as I thought

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Existential Selkath said:

The Patcher will add things to existing 2da files. If you use the Workshop version of TSLRCM then you simply need to point the Patcher to TSLRCM's Workshop folder instead of the main game folder.
Point it to the main folder and TSLRCM's 2da will get priority and the ones in your main override get ignored.
The folder should be something like [Path to Steam folder]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\208580\485537937

• Like 1

I'm really glad I've got a proper metal shader ready to go for the hk50 units because I don't think a simple hue swap like the originals is going to cut it.

Idk about you guys but white HK is the kinda thing that keeps me up at night XD829235299_swkotor22022-07-0621-11-23.png.0ecc7cf7e10a1ea36290e3a84c553373.png

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 5:26 AM, DarthParametric said:

Poorly probably. Odyssey's envmap system is terrible. Things could have been so much better if they had implemented spec maps.

soooooooo, I may have found a way around that...

2107462779_swkotor22022-07-0712-22-06.png.5a599c6491572ce1ef7e9c6fd21b9a75.png

Obviously placeholder textures and everything, but this is already looking waaaay better than I expected

1927954930_swkotor22022-07-0712-29-16.png.50f1107a841f9c518b028203bbb49d01.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Looks far too Sith soldier pure chrome to me. And the thing about envmaps is that they vary in effect in every module due to the different lighting.

I mean, as I said, it's not using the proper textures yet. Once I've got proper specular maps in place and proper baked lighting in the textures, it can look a lot better.

The chestpiece is Intentionally pure chrome as an example of what the envmap looks like anyway

18 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

I personally think HK-50's would have brushed steel for their body. Not unlike a refrigerator. 

I was pretty certain I was going to use the same texture I had already created in blender, but having experimented with a few other options I might end up doing just that.

I'd really like some feedback about this. Do you guys prefer the dark, slightly worn metal armour look that I was initially going to go for, or a brushed steel kinda look that's closer to the original, but less granular and detailed.

Both of these images are in blender, so they're not going to translate perfectly into kotor 2, and I'm still working on the detail for the brushed steel, but the general look should stay the same

blender_KyCuL0dTK4.png.e45c0dcf174604e86b4745f90f982c1a.png

blender_2ekhoEJuZA.png

• Like 2

I’m more a fan of the darker one, personally. The brushed steel one looks a bit too clinical for my taste and says more sterile medical droid than lethal assassin. 

Just my opinion though, I could well be wrong! 

Maybe you could include both and use the brushed steel texture just for the droid on Peragus who’s meant to be impersonating a protocol droid?

Easy enough to set up and would at least make it seem like he’s made some semblance of an effort to disguise himself! 😆

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marius Fett said:

I’m more a fan of the darker one, personally. The brushed steel one looks a bit too clinical for my taste and says more sterile medical droid than lethal assassin. 

Just my opinion though, I could well be wrong! 

Maybe you could include both and use the brushed steel texture just for the droid on Peragus who’s meant to be impersonating a protocol droid?

Easy enough to set up and would at least make it seem like he’s made some semblance of an effort to disguise himself! 😆

I am quite fond of my original textures too, but I wanted to see what other people think before I made my mind because the steel is more accurate to the original, and I've never been great at scrapping old ideas.

I'm afraid having both textures would take more time than I have at the moment. Baking one set of textures onto the low poly model is already finicky enough. I'll see what I can do in the future because I would like to give the option, but for now I only have time for 1. Hence why I'm asking for opinions.

1 hour ago, Existential Selkath said:

the dark, slightly worn metal armour look that I was initially going to go for, or a brushed steel kinda look that's closer to the original, but less granular and detailed

I really dig the aesthetic of the worn one, but I won't lie; it wouldn't fit with what the HK-50s are supposed to be, which is assassins in disguise. Perhaps something in-between? As it is, it looks like it fits run down HK-47 better. Maybe something like the brighter one, only with a different approach.

I like the second one better. However, I think the darker one can be used in limited situations. For example, when the HK-50's are talking amongst themselves in the HK Factory, one of them could be the darker one - which would help determining who's talking to who in those scenes. Or the droid that HK-47 tortures...

It's just the droid that hasn't had the chance to get polished again after a mission.

Definitely the refrigerator one.

shrek-shrek-meme.gif

"Droids tend to blend into the background, like a bench or a card table. Mockery: Droid, fetch this. Droid, translate that. Droid, clean out the trash compactor. Part of the love of my function comes when the ‘furnishings’ pull out tibanna-powered rifles and point them at the owners' heads."

emulating the way kotors shading works in blender, I got this. Its a bit messy rn but its a proof of concept.

blender_sqQsLHFmbM.png.eba0ac8e4cda91dc60817c3482224023.png

Only problem is, it relies on normal maps. When I did HK-47 for kotor 1 I got normal maps working for the head, but didn't bother for the rest as it didn't make much difference.

Now I need to use them again and it just fails to load, I get a popup saying 'invalid bumpmap'. I'm converting the bumpmap to tpc and everything, it just doesn't want to work. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears

• Like 1

This mod is looking superb so far! Can't wait to see my Hunter Killer bois done justice in HD! ^-^

Will you be applying these changes to the HK-51 droids too, or will you be sticking to 47 and 50?

• Like 1