Natural Law

HK-47 Overhaul Mod, TSL Conversion?

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Hrm, looks like the disabled anim doesn't turn off the self-illum for the eye meshes. Something for K2CP I guess.

I think that might be to do with the model itself. The mesh for the eyes in the new model is called head (one of the duplicate names I mentioned earlier) whereas in the original model it’s something like Mesh001.

Would that not stop the animation working if the original model is referenced as the super?

Nah I checked the original TSL HK model and there aren't any Mesh01self-illum keys for the Disabled anim. But sure, if the mesh name doesn't match the original then it won't work regardless. But that would also break the talk animation as well. If his eyes don't flash while talking then you'll know that's the case.

Hmm... New problem with the HK-50 knock-off models.

Does this 👇 happen to you guys when transforming 47?

20220615214654_1.jpg

So if I removed HK50's racetex as I did for 47 they would all share the same (Selkaths) look I suppose?

Any way to differentiate them so they don't share the new model I introduced?

Double-checked that I did in fact change the modela column to P_HK50 and had the files you gave me in my override, but got no change.

Even made sure to go to Nar Shadda and see if it was just an issue with not loading the edit on ones I'd already seen, but those on Goto's yacht were similarly borked.

Should I change the race column as well?

Hi guys, I'm the creator of the original mod (message me on nexus or something if you want proof).

I am already working on porting the model to Kotor 2, however I'll obviously need much more efficient UV's to combine everything into 1 texture file.

I've got an entirely different texture setup on my high poly model ready for the HK50 droids, and I might even add some extra wear to HK47 to resemble the more beaten up textures in the original.

I appreciate the enthusiasm around the mod, and your efforts to get it working yourselves has been quite helpful, but please refrain from sharing any mod files publicly without my permission.

If you're curious what HK-50 will hopefully look like, here's the high poly version I've already got. I'm open to questions or suggestions

blender_8iGFMQJg5H.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Existential Selkath said:

I'll obviously need much more efficient UV's to combine everything into 1 texture file.

You don't need to do that. Just export three separate models, one for 47, one for 50, one for 51. Then remove the racetex from their appearance rows and switch the race to your custom models.

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

You don't need to do that. Just export three separate models, one for 47, one for 50, one for 51. Then remove the racetex from their appearance rows and switch the race to your custom models.

OK, that's a whole other deal. I was just talking about HK-47 having multiple textures on a single model. Head, arms, hands, etc.

Kotor 1 can have multiple textures on a single model but I'm having trouble getting more than 1 to work in kotor 2

On 6/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, Natural Law said:

Righto!

1476-1653593251-257507179.png

YES!!!

20220615000837_1.jpg

There seems to be a way around this though if you guys got it working. I'll have to look into it when I get back to my pc

There's zero difference in how both games work in that regard. A model with no appearance texture overrides will display whatever is set in the model. There are no practical limitations beyond one texture per mesh. However, what is specified on the model will be overriden by a racetex in appearance.2da, if one is specified. That's how the vanilla HK models work. It's a single shared model that has three separate race textures. TSL strips textures off the model altogether due to an engine issue with TXI clashes with instanced models. Just change it from this:

label			race			racetex
3	Party_NPC_HK47		P_HK47			P_HK47_01
538	Droid_NPC_hk50		P_HK47			C_HK50
539	Droid_NPC_hk51		P_HK47			C_HK51

to this:

label			race			racetex
3	Party_NPC_HK47		ExSel_HK47		****
538	Droid_NPC_hk50		ExSel_HK50		****
539	Droid_NPC_hk51		ExSel_HK51		****

N.B. Extraneous columns omitted for brevity, substitute in your own model names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

There's zero difference in how both games work in that regard. A model with no appearance texture overrides will display whatever is set in the model. There are no practical limitations beyond one texture per mesh. However, what is specified on the model will be overriden by a racetex in appearance.2da, if one is specified. That's how the vanilla HK models work. It's a single shared model that has three separate race textures. TSL strips textures off the model altogether due to an engine issue with TXI clashes with instanced models. Just change it from this:

label			race			racetex

to this:

label			race			racetex

N.B. Extraneous columns omitted for brevity, substitute in your own model names.

Thanks for the help, I'm not sure it makes much sense until I have all the files in front of me but I'll give it a go when I can.

Its funny, I've spent so long browsing forums trying to get it working, just to realise you guys have been at it with my exact same mod the entire time XD

Edit: Ohhhhhh, I think I get it.

are you saying that the multiple textures per model should work, but that its being overridden by the texture per 'race'? I didn't catch that before, but that would make a lot of sense

Edited by Existential Selkath

2 hours ago, Existential Selkath said:

are you saying that the multiple textures per model should work, but that its being overridden by the texture per 'race'? I didn't catch that before, but that would make a lot of sense

Correct! Appearance.2da will always override the models default textures if it has textures listed, so omitting the racetex column as DP said allows the game to use the textures which are assigned directly in the model file.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Existential Selkath said:

If you're curious what HK-50 will hopefully look like, here's the high poly version I've already got. I'm open to questions or suggestions

Yeah, (best "Geg" impersonation voice) you have returned!

20220620002202_1.jpg.831297451bb161776f32af084af48d74.jpg

It was a little finicky getting HK separated from his cheap copies in the 2da file, but well worth it in the end. I do think though, that you should probably keep the awesomely scarred and pitted iron texture just for the "obsolete" original. The 50's are meant to be passing as the fancy new model seeded among the Republic diplomatic corp.

20220704114435_1.jpg.a9c96d40608d6a2470c98d4ba3807228.jpg

I'm sure though, that what you will provide us with in the end, Selkath, will be a marvel to see. And we'll all say:

20220628011356_1.jpg.0e6a8b06088bc5f478bd46ec4e14c437.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Natural Law said:

I do think thought, that you should probably keep the awesomely scarred and pitted iron texture just for the "obsolete" original.

I'm definitely going to keep the same base material for HK47, I'm just considering adding an extra layer of corrosion or something.

on the other hand I'm going to see if I can replicate the smoother, but still worn, plain metal look I've got for HK50 in blender but it will heavily rely on the outdated reflection system of the kotor engine so idk how it will turn out.

Thanks for all the help though. I never expected an entire forum post about all this

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Existential Selkath said:

idk how it will turn out

Poorly probably. Odyssey's envmap system is terrible. Things could have been so much better if they had implemented spec maps.

9 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Poorly probably. Odyssey's envmap system is terrible. Things could have been so much better if they had implemented spec maps.

Its worked well for me so far. Using the alpha of the textures to control the specular strength already makes a big difference. I am looking into creating my own envmap though which might help it look even better.

Most modern games just use cubemaps anyway which is effectively the same thing but more accurate to the individual environment you're in. The only real difference is a lack of roughness, but if I can edit the envmap I can approximate that too, even if it wont be variable across the entire model

Finally got a chance to work on this again. I've followed your advice and set the racetex to **** and given each droid model its own race.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, DarthParametric said:

Just change it from this:

label			race			racetex

to this:

label			race			racetex

Only one slight problem. I put the appearance.2da file in the override folder and nothing changed at all. I might be missing the obvious here but idk what else to do. Does the file not go in the override folder or something?

Here's what it looks like

NVIDIA_Share_T1HHaWd0tz.png.1eb26cbddd317c71ce0d6ea1a06c7ab5.png

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

Depends. Are you using the Steam version with Workshop mods installed?

yes. do you think there's a conflicting appearance file that's being applied from the workshop? is there any way to deal with that without removing mods?

Using the Workshop is a very bad idea. If you must do it, then preferably only use TSLRCM and then manually install any other mods over the top of its Workshop folder. But the Aspyr version isn't worth using at all anyway, since all it really does it add a bunch of extra bugs.

If you have multiple different Workshop mods then you are going to run into all sorts of grief. But for the purposes of testing, your 2DA needs to go into the Workshop folder of the most recently installed mod. You can see the mod's ID from its Workshop page URL.

5 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Using the Workshop is a very bad idea. If you must do it, then preferably only use TSLRCM and then manually install any other mods over the top of its Workshop folder. But the Aspyr version isn't worth using at all anyway, since all it really does it add a bunch of extra bugs.

If you have multiple different Workshop mods then you are going to run into all sorts of grief. But for the purposes of testing, your 2DA needs to go into the Workshop folder of the most recently installed mod. You can see the mod's ID from its Workshop page URL.

I'd like to make sure whatever I end up releasing has as few compatibility issues as possible. Its one thing for me to stop using the workshop, but when I publish it, I don't want to put everyone else through the same hassle.

Side note, when you say the Aspyr version isn't worth using are you referring the the port of the game or the workshop version of TSLRCM? I haven't had many issues with either.