Sign in to follow this  
Quanon

MOD:Quanons Manaan Upscaled Textures

Quanons Manaan Upscaled Textures

This mod will add upscaled textures for the Manaan part of the game. Except the skies, see note below.
All textures are now 4x their original size. Example a 128x128 becomes 512x512, etc...

I've not gone up to the 4096x4096 sizes as I don't see what that would add to this older game.
A few textures do get to this size, example is the Ebon Hawk. Normal maps have also been redone, rerendered not just upscaled.

It's still a 400% improvement on the older files. Have a peek at the screenshots and: Enjoy!
Minor note: No the Sith base is not included, this is a separate texture set within the game,
it gets used on various other locations to. So it'll be a pack on its own.

Sky textures are made by the awesome Kexikus get them here:
 => https://deadlystream.com/files/file/723-high-quality-skyboxes-ii/
 => https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/69

For the best looking Cantina signs, pick up this mod by SithHolocron:
=> https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1135-animated-manaan-cantina-sign-for-kotor1/

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    05/12/2022
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes

Hello, Quanon!

I have a question. I noticed that you added upscaled normal maps as well and I would like to ask you what happens if the game find an upscaled texture in the override folder but not its corresponding normal map. I am asking specifically because some other person that did texture upscaling told me that he suspects that there is no point in upscaling the normal maps.

Would the engine be able to use the game's original normal map which is not upscaled?

And an additional question: some of your upscaled textures are in .tpc format but they also come with a .txi file. Isn't the .txi file already included in the .tpc file?

Thanks!

EDIT: While going through the files I noticed a possible faulty .txi file: LMA_VSub01.txi

The content is:

envmaptexture CM_Manaan0

Shouldn't it be this instead?

bumpyshinytexture CM_UPMAN
bumpmaptexture LMA_VSubBMP

I'm just asking. I know nothing about graphics and upscaling...

On 5/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, Salk said:

Hello, Quanon!

I have a question. I noticed that you added upscaled normal maps as well and I would like to ask you what happens if the game find an upscaled texture in the override folder but not its corresponding normal map. I am asking specifically because some other person that did texture upscaling told me that he suspects that there is no point in upscaling the normal maps.

Would the engine be able to use the game's original normal map which is not upscaled?

And an additional question: some of your upscaled textures are in .tpc format but they also come with a .txi file. Isn't the .txi file already included in the .tpc file?

Thanks!

EDIT: While going through the files I noticed a possible faulty .txi file: LMA_VSub01.txi

The content is:

envmaptexture CM_Manaan0

Shouldn't it be this instead?

bumpyshinytexture CM_UPMAN
bumpmaptexture LMA_VSubBMP

I'm just asking. I know nothing about graphics and upscaling...

New normal maps need to be in .tpc format, yes. The .txi is fed into tga2tpc along with the targa image, so the information contained inside it is indeed ‘baked’ into the .tpc for want of a better term.

You’re also correct in that where a bumpmap is applied, .txi files need to use bumpyshinytexture rather than envmaptexture if you want to incorporate a cubemap as well.

Correct on all above counts, in other words! I know Q has only recently started experimenting with normal maps for KotOR very recently and has been tackling some rather large texture packs, so I daresay any little niggling issues which slipped through will be addressed shortly. All part of the fun, as they say!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Marius for the in depth reply.

Honestly I'm just doing it so everything has a size increase. If it is really noticeable within the game; would require a more in depth screenshot comparison.
But sadly I fear on how the game uses said normalmaps/ bumpmaps it's not going to do that much in the end.

I've just included all the .txi files to be certain the game uses it all as it should. Though no idea what takes precedence when the game loads textures. Txi or TPC.
Also mind the normalmaps are basically the diffuse texture I run through FilterForge. The program offers a few different "filters" to obtain a normalmap from any sort of picture.

Try to match the original as best I can. In all honesty I'm not that tech savy  😅

These 2 threads here on DeadlyStream have lots of info  on said subject:

• Like 2