Sign in to follow this  
Guest Plastic

Favourite game in the Jedi Knight series

What is your favourite Jedi Knight Game?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favourite Jedi Knight game?

• Dark Forces
    • Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II)
    • Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Guest Plastic

So, what is your favourite Jedi Knight game, and why?

Personally I like Jedi Outcast the most. (but I haven't played either of the Dark Forces games) The Story just really got me. :-D

"Do you believe that this stream of power will ease your pain? Or that you can safely wield the Force with anger in your heart?"

"JAN IS DEAD! My anger is all I have left! Anger... and revenge."

"Is that how Jan would want to be remembered? With acts of anger and revenge?"

"...No..."

"Then remember her as she was... and may the Force be with you."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might have to pull out the Jedi Outcast disk again!

Jedi Academy is good, but not quite the same, in my opinion.

JKA has the best engine, but worst story, too bad the various mod projects never went further than a demo or (Dark Forces) or not even that far (Mysteries of the Sith, JK II...)

Guest Zhaboka

There are several great modded single-player campaigns for both JO and JKA, but true, none of them are full-game-length.

My favorite game is Jedi Outcast. JA does have the worst story, and I would argue the gameplay is worse. I could never get into Dark Forces, but I have it.

Guest Gaminglord28

I love JO personally! The DF games are great too, but JO was the first I've played and I have great memories.

Edited by Sith Holocron
Removed reference to banned mod

Guest ibejim

I love JO personally! The DF games are great too, but JO was the first I've played and I have great memories.

Back on topic, my favorite is outcast, It is just epic through and through though I instantly predicted that Jan wasn't dead when that scene played, it's also one of the few games to have a fight that is impossible to win (without cheats anyway)

Edited by Sith Holocron

Guest Plastic

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that likes Jedi Outcast.

Random Trivia: I was introduced to the Jedi Knight series by my older cousin, who had Jedi Academy on pc, and let me and my brother play it. (This was several years ago) My brother then went out to buy it, but came back with Jedi Outcast instead! (couldn't find Jedi Academy)

I now have Jedi Academy on xbox, but that's not the same as on pc ;-(

Guest Zhaboka

My cousin also gave me my first Jedi Knight game, Jedi Outcast, as well as giving me both KotOR I and II. You could say he unwittingly determined the course of a large part of my high school life in this way. O_o

Guest Gaminglord28

Back on topic, my favorite is outcast, It is just epic through and through though I instantly predicted that Jan wasn't dead when that scene played, it's also one of the few games to have a fight that is impossible to win (without cheats anyway)

I could only beat JO with cheats too the first few times but I recently made it to Galak's ship without any... What is the name of that ship again? The Doombringer, was it?

Edited by Sith Holocron

Guest Gaminglord28

I bought JA really cheap jewel case about 6 years ago and right after I beat it I found JO and the DF games. I am still looking for Mysteries of the Sith though...

I bought JA really cheap jewel case about 6 years ago and right after I beat it I found JO and the DF games. I am still looking for Mysteries of the Sith though...

Good luck finding-it and more importantly, to make it work!

Guest DeadMan

Mysteries of the Sith was my first game in JK series. The duel with Dark Mara is still one of the hardest battles for me.

After that I've got the first Jedi Knight. Finished it 4 or 5 times. Really cool game. And videos were fantastic.

But my favorite is Jedi Outcast. Great story, graphics, gameplay, modding potential. It's still on my HDD and won't get out of there...

Jedi Academy has the worst story, and there are also problems with balance. Staffs and two sabers broken it.

I could only beat JO with cheats too the first few times but I recently made it to Galak's ship without any... What is the name of that ship again? The Doombringer, was it?

That ship is called Doomgiver if I remember right.

• Like 1

Guest Gaminglord28

Mysteries of the Sith was my first game in JK series. The duel with Dark Mara is still one of the hardest battles for me.

After that I've got the first Jedi Knight. Finished it 4 or 5 times. Really cool game. And videos were fantastic.

But my favorite is Jedi Outcast. Great story, graphics, gameplay, modding potential. It's still on my HDD and won't get out of there...

Jedi Academy has the worst story, and there are also problems with balance. Staffs and two sabers broken it.

That ship is called Doomgiver if I remember right.

Thanks, I think you are right.

Guest Gaminglord28

Good luck finding-it and more importantly, to make it work!

Do DF II and Mysteries of the Sith work on Windows 7? I got JO and JA to work and the original DF works with DOSBox.

Probably with Dosbox...

I'm trying to run yoda stories with dosbox myself, but have had no result yet :P

Guest Gaminglord28

DF II and MotS are not DOS games so DOSBox will not run them, unfortunately...

Guest HK-47

Answer: DF2, hands down. Unlike JO and JA, you're not restricted on where you can go without cheats. The things you can do are so awesome. There's also the hundreds of different ways to kill yourself. I have mentioned it before and will do so again, killing myself in DF2 is so hilarious. I don't know why, it just is. I can do it the same way 10 times and it's just as funny the 10th time as it was the 1st. I think the sound of bones breaking is what contributes to that. You don't get such things in JO or JA, it's just a squish sound :sleep: . Then there's the hundreds of ways you can kill the enemies, especially the bosses. I've done some pretty epic things when attacking the enemies. I've punched Jerec to death.

Statement: The live action movies with REAL actors is unforgettable. I wish they had done that in the others, but they didn't. Then there's the great abundance of mods. SBX (Saber Battle X) made by ShadowX is one of the best JK mods out there. It gives the blades and bolts a realistic look, you can change saber color mid-game, turn saber damage on or off, one shot kills, turn on or off saber trails, sabers create sparks when touching the wall. The list goes on. There's also the Boba Fett mod, which is, though over powered, is great fun. Unfortunately it's incompatible with SBX. Then there's the plethora of maps for both single player and multi player.

Conclusion: Finally, as far as I can remember, it's graphics engine (known as the Jedi engine) is compatible with all video cards. I am unable to run JO and JA on my good PC as Radeon's newer cards don't support OpenGL. I've already tried to fix it to no avail. If someone has a working fix, let me know. The only downside to DF2 is that they have made no updates ever because the "lost" the original game code. That's why DF2 is my favorite.

Addendum: All of the above goes for MotS as well.

• Like 1

Guest Gaminglord28

Answer: DF2, hands down. Unlike JO and JA, you're not restricted on where you can go without cheats. The things you can do are so awesome. There's also the hundreds of different ways to kill yourself. I have mentioned it before and will do so again, killing myself in DF2 is so hilarious. I don't know why, it just is. I can do it the same way 10 times and it's just as funny the 10th time as it was the 1st. I think the sound of bones breaking is what contributes to that. You don't get such things in JO or JA, it's just a squish sound :sleep: . Then there's the hundreds of ways you can kill the enemies, especially the bosses. I've done some pretty epic things when attacking the enemies. I've punched Jerec to death.

Statement: The live action movies with REAL actors is unforgettable. I wish they had done that in the others, but they didn't. Then there's the great abundance of mods. SBX (Saber Battle X) made by ShadowX is one of the best JK mods out there. It gives the blades and bolts a realistic look, you can change saber color mid-game, turn saber damage on or off, one shot kills, turn on or off saber trails, sabers create sparks when touching the wall. The list goes on. There's also the Boba Fett mod, which is, though over powered, is great fun. Unfortunately it's incompatible with SBX. Then there's the plethora of maps for both single player and multi player.

Conclusion: Finally, as far as I can remember, it's graphics engine (known as the Jedi engine) is compatible with all video cards. I am unable to run JO and JA on my good PC as Radeon's newer cards don't support OpenGL. I've already tried to fix it to no avail. If someone has a working fix, let me know. The only downside to DF2 is that they have made no updates ever because the "lost" the original game code. That's why DF2 is my favorite.

Addendum: All of the above goes for MotS as well.

JO and JA work on new PCs in compatability mode

Guest HK-47

JO and JA work on new PCs in compatability mode

Statement: Tried that. It's not compatibility with Windows, it's OpenGL support. That's the error I get.

Guest Gaminglord28

Statement: Tried that. It's not compatibility with Windows, it's OpenGL support. That's the error I get.

Oh, that's strange... It worked fine for me. Try reinstalling them?

Guest HK-47

Oh, that's strange... It worked fine for me. Try reinstalling them?

Answer: Yes. 3 times. Same with the drivers, new drivers. This is not an uncommon problem. That's why I haven't upgraded my other computer from it's old X900 pro video card.

Opinion: Even so, DF2 is still WAY better than JA or JO.

Statement: I forgot to mention a reason why I think DF2 is the best. Unlike in JO or JA, when you look down into a cliff, it really is a long way down. You can see it, especially on Nar Shaddaa. In JO, Nar Shaddaa didn't look like Nar Shaddaa. It didn't give me the feeling that if I fall, I will be faling for a very long time, and you don't. In DF2, you can't see the floor without the IR goggles, and if you use a grappling hook to keep from being reset, it takes about 30+seconds to get to the bottom.

Guest Plastic

Answer: Yes. 3 times. Same with the drivers, new drivers. This is not an uncommon problem. That's why I haven't upgraded my other computer from it's old X900 pro video card.

Statement: I forgot to mention a reason why I think DF2 is the best. Unlike in JO or JA, when you look down into a cliff, it really is a long way down. You can see it, especially on Nar Shaddaa. In JO, Nar Shaddaa didn't look like Nar Shaddaa. It didn't give me the feeling that if I fall, I will be faling for a very long time, and you don't. In DF2, you can't see the floor without the IR goggles, and if you use a grappling hook to keep from being reset, it takes about 30+seconds to get to the bottom.

I haven't played DF or DF2, so I wouldn't know.

Guest ibejim

The only place I know where you could find it would be on steam, I think it's about 4 U.S. dollars

Guest Gaminglord28

That is true. After falling a few seconds in JO and JA, you just see a black void and invisible ground. This is especially annoying when using the Godmode cheat. I still like JO the best, but DFII still is pretty darn fun.

• Like 1

Guest Gaminglord28

Is there any way at all to play JO/JA on Win7?

Uh, Crack No-CD? I think there was an issue where the game would ask you for a CD even though it was in the drive. Maybe this help? Both game runs fine on my W7 64-bit. (Except for a weird bug in JO. Issues with cinematics which may prevent from pursuing the game, especially the one with the electrical pipe that threatens to fall in the water...)