JDub96

Clothing Editing

Can someone help me out?

I'm trying to find a way to mod the different versions of the default clothing so that they each have their own appearances for K1. Does anyone know what I would need to edit?

You use KotOR Tool. If you already have an appearance.2da file in your override folder then you open that with KotOR Tool's 2DA editor.

afbeelding.png.1a415781a3a8858b8c28a44086611fb1.png

If you don't already have that file then you can extract the vanilla one with KotOR Tool and put it in a folder named "override" as a subfolder of the main game's folder.

afbeelding.png.ea0a1e2f4bff1773c2caa392ef55ec65.png

Now you can open it and edit things.

afbeelding.thumb.png.46003944bd069fd2388962da538ecb41.png

This will only work for characters that have "B" in the modeltype column. Those are characters that have a seperate 3D model for the head and the body.
The modelb column has the name of the 3D model (a .mdl and a .mdx file) for the clothing, the texb column has the name of the texture, but 01 gets added to the filename because you can have different texture variations. For example the first row above will work with a texture named PFBBS01.tga.

S = Scoundrel, M = Scout, L = Soldier.

I hope this will get you started, further questions are welcome.

• Like 1

That definitely helps. I'm just trying to find a way to make all the player outfits have their own entries like in TSL.

41 minutes ago, JDub96 said:

That definitely helps. I'm just trying to find a way to make all the player outfits have their own entries like in TSL.

Not sure what you mean because in K1 you have different clothing models and textures for the 3 classes.
In TSL they all use the same "commoner" clothing model, in the character creator you see different textures that use that model, but I think there's only one look once you start playing. Each player char still has 3 rows like in K1, for the different classes:
afbeelding.thumb.png.28f22a7df5e4189a9b75483b86cefeca.png
As you can see on the right, it's all the same models/textures. I never tried if the 3 classes in K2 actually use those different rows, it's likely since a lot of K1 stuff was left unchanged.

In TSL the different .utcs for clothing all point to different versions of base clothing. I want to replicate that so that the base scout outfit exists as a unique outfit.

i.e. clothing02.utc in TSL points to the red version I think rather than the beige one.

uti, utcs are character files.
Yeah, it's the same in K1. For example g_a_clothes02.uti points to texture variation 2. There's also a 2 in the filename, but that doesn't do anything by itself, and it gets less logical at g_a_clothes07, that one uses texture variation 1 again.

afbeelding.png.b8ea9f6074037d632e632a84fd061305.png

Base Item above is "Basic Clothing", that points to those b columns in appearance.2da.

afbeelding.png.a3639d91bcf3d58bca557125d8381a6a.png

For texture variation 2 you would need to have textures PFBBS02.tga, PFBBM02.tga and PFBBL02.tga.
At the start of the game you get g_a_clothes01.uti from the footlocker, regardless of class. I don't know of a way to give scout item X, scoundrel item Y & soldier item Z.

You could export g_a_clothes01.uti and name it clothes_scout, change the title etc., add some properties, including a class restriction.
afbeelding.png.82a5f0334947744ca61de656f7b57aa0.png

Now you have class specific clothing, then you need to find a way to add it to the game.
Non player characters have a .utc file, you can just equip an item to them, player characters do not.

Hm. So... if Basic Clothing points to a specific model would it be possible to introduce a brand new base item?

21 minutes ago, JDub96 said:

Hm. So... if Basic Clothing points to a specific model would it be possible to introduce a brand new base item?

That should work, but if you just want to change the look of things then you can just change those values in the modelb column. You could also stick to the vanilla names, export another model and have it have the name you see in the modelb column (It's best to also change the modelname with MDL Edit, but things should work even without doing that).

I think you need K-GFF if you truely want to add a new base item, because KotOR Tool won't see that new base item class so you can't pick it when you edit an item. But, it's best to edit item files (.uti) with K-GFF anyway.

Let me put it this way.

What would I need to edit to make g_a_clothes02.uti point to a new entry that instead caused it to use the appearance of Republic soldier armor for example? This way g_a_clothes01.uti could retain the vanilla styling.

You can't like that, g_a_clothes01.uti and g_a_clothes02.uti use the same model, only different textures. It would be great but there's no model reference in an uti file, the only model reference is the base item that points to the column in appearance.2da. Adding a column isn't a thing.

Let's look at what does work, female example:
afbeelding.thumb.png.22cb6a5ce7998b35b3c35e8dce2a8f02.png

This works for g_a_clothes01.uti, scoundrel is changed to the Republic soldier and scout is changed to the officer.
If you add a g_a_clothes02.uti then you'd need to add additional textures (ending with 02 in the filename; N_RepSold_F02.tga, N_RepOff_F02.tga).

25 minutes ago, JDub96 said:

Gotcha. So, it isn't possible to add columns to .2da files? Weird.

Nope, that's an engine limitation. You can add columns with KotOR Tool (by saving as xml, editing that), but it even throws them out if you save as 2da again.

In TSL you can have a mod reuse the Star Forge/Revan Robe columns that were left in from K1, because they aren't used. Only one mod can do that, though.

So there would be no way to effectively make all 3 variations available for say... the soldier class?

Attaching a quick little demo mod.
What it does: Change the clothing of soldier mullet man to Republic soldier outfit (it doesn't change the scoundrel and scout versions).
It also adds 2 texture variations that use that model. You'll need to cheat in g_a_clothes02 and g_a_clothes03 to try them out, since as a player you can normally only get g_a_clothes01.

Effixians_Mullet_Man_Soldier_to_Republic_Clothing.zip

Gotcha. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Thanks so much for all the guidance, guys. I think for now my only recourse is to either edit the playermodels I do not use or simply stick to my sloppy solution of switching my appearance.2da when disguises are needed in my headcanon (Taris and Korriban).