Cortisol

TOOL:Holocron Toolset

1 hour ago, Cortisol said:

Are you refering to moving the camera or an object? Which module have you tried editing? There should only be a brief lag spike the first time you move an object (as the toolset is loading the module's walkmeshes into memory).

To move the camera hold the CTRL key and drag the cursor with the left mouse button down. To move an object do the same thing, just don't hold CTRL down. The full list of controls can be found in the help book (from the main window, not the module editor window, go Help -> Instructions).

I do plan on adding a 2D view like the GIT Editor to the Module Editor eventually, but its not a high priority at the moment.

another dumb question. So i tried adding an NPC at peragus first level which is 101per just to test if it works or not. The whole game crashes if i try adding an NPC. I have moved the git file on module and rims although i have the TSLRCM installed it does not edit the first level.

3 hours ago, Cortisol said:

Are you refering to moving the camera or an object? Which module have you tried editing? There should only be a brief lag spike the first time you move an object (as the toolset is loading the module's walkmeshes into memory).

To move the camera hold the CTRL key and drag the cursor with the left mouse button down. To move an object do the same thing, just don't hold CTRL down. The full list of controls can be found in the help book (from the main window, not the module editor window, go Help -> Instructions).

I do plan on adding a 2D view like the GIT Editor to the Module Editor eventually, but its not a high priority at the moment.

I am referring to the camera and I followed your instructions and I am still not moving. the module editor freezes for a minute anytime I click on anything. I am not sure what the issue is. This happens everytime I load a module. I have tried 203tel.mod, 204tel.mod, 101per.mod.

thanks for the toolset btw, besides my issue with the module editor this toolset is awesome.

4 hours ago, Jj117 said:

another dumb question. So i tried adding an NPC at peragus first level which is 101per just to test if it works or not. The whole game crashes if i try adding an NPC. I have moved the git file on module and rims although i have the TSLRCM installed it does not edit the first level.

Okay, I made a mistake when I released the new version, It should be corrected. Try redownload the toolset again (under "Holocron Toolset v2.0.2 Windows Reupload") and see if it crashes.

2 hours ago, mikeyok67 said:

I am referring to the camera and I followed your instructions and I am still not moving. the module editor freezes for a minute anytime I click on anything. I am not sure what the issue is. This happens everytime I load a module. I have tried 203tel.mod, 204tel.mod, 101per.mod.

thanks for the toolset btw, besides my issue with the module editor this toolset is awesome.

That is strange. Just to clarify: Does it freeze when you click anywhere in the window or only when you click the 3D view. If possible, could you see if the problem persists when you open a K1 module. Finally, in the folder where the toolset is contained, check if there is a file named something like "errorlog.txt" and if there is could you DM me it.

--

Just a word of caution; the module editor does not seem to open MOD/RIM files that have capital letters (all vanilla TSL modules do, but TSLRCM modules do not). I'll try have this fixed in the next version. Thanks for all your patience and support.

Oh wow, this looks really cool. I've been playing Neverwinter Nights lately and the toolset that comes with it is so useful. Would be nice to have something even close to that functionality.

One question though, I see all the screenshots seem to be of KOTOR 1 assets. Is this designed primarily for the first game or will it work for the second as well?

11 hours ago, Arctrooper209 said:

Oh wow, this looks really cool. I've been playing Neverwinter Nights lately and the toolset that comes with it is so useful. Would be nice to have something even close to that functionality.

One question though, I see all the screenshots seem to be of KOTOR 1 assets. Is this designed primarily for the first game or will it work for the second as well?

Everything is designed to work for both games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cortisol said:

Okay, I made a mistake when I released the new version, It should be corrected. Try redownload the toolset again (under "Holocron Toolset v2.0.2 Windows Reupload") and see if it crashes.

That is strange. Just to clarify: Does it freeze when you click anywhere in the window or only when you click the 3D view. If possible, could you see if the problem persists when you open a K1 module. Finally, in the folder where the toolset is contained, check if there is a file named something like "errorlog.txt" and if there is could you DM me it.

--

Just a word of caution; the module editor does not seem to open MOD/RIM files that have capital letters (all vanilla TSL modules do, but TSLRCM modules do not). I'll try have this fixed in the next version. Thanks for all your patience and support.

thank you. It is working now

• Like 1

New update is released containing a bunch of fixes for bugs reported by the community. Also included as a couple of new tutorials and a new kit containing the models from the Jedi Enclave.

Note that currently the map builder is bugged for TSL. You can create and build maps, but for reasons unknown at the moment the module editor loads the models incorrently even though it works fine ingame.

Edit: The Kit Downloader seems to be bugged as well, only downloading the Jedi Enclave models. Direct downloads are provided below, extract them directly to the toolset's /kits folder.

Hi, Cortisol!

If I am not mistaken, you have already released version 2.0.2 in mid April and the latest update has the same version number.

Also, I get a "Failed - Network error" "The site can't be reached" message when I try to download the latest version. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Salk said:

If I am not mistaken, you have already released version 2.0.2 in mid April and the latest update has the same version number.

Whoops. I forgot to increase the version number on the download page when I uploaded the update.

1 hour ago, Salk said:

Also, I get a "Failed - Network error" "The site can't be reached" message when I try to download the latest version. 

I'm a bit confused, this error occurs when you try to download the ZIP file from Deadlystream? Or when you try open the unzipped files? Edit: Rereading it sounds like thats an error downloading the file through the browser... Are you able to download other files from DS?

• Like 1

The error happened when I tried to download the archive from Deadlystream.

I have just learned that it is my AntiVirus (Avast) that caused this error.

I could download the latest version after temporarily disabling it but it is still weird because I can download other files from Deadlystream without problems.

9 minutes ago, Salk said:

I could download the latest version after temporarily disabling it but it is still weird because I can download other files from Deadlystream without problems.

Yeah if you look at this virus scan report on the download page, AVG and Avast don't seem to like the toolset executable. Getting false positives just seems to be the nature of converting Python code into EXEs (If you are curious to why, you can google "PyInstaller virus").

Just disable you antivirus when you download the file and reenable it afterwards and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salk said:

Hey I had the same problem. Go into avast’s quarantine and make an exception. 

hope this helps

• Like 1

Dragging the mouse with the scroll button down will rotate the currently selected object. A list of controls can be found by going to the main window, Menu Bar -> Help -> Instructions.

This tool seems genuinely amazing. I've wanted to play around with modding KotOR for a long time, but hopping between all the programs and files, and the apparent pain of putting new modules and maps together is really daunting.

I've only played around with building a new indoor map, and I was excited to be able to load it up in game and run around.

I was wondering -- is there a tutorial or explanation on how to go from that first, empty map, to populating it with NPCs and such? Or more generally, how to go from that empty map to a proper module that can be loaded into without a warp command and modified like the normal modules in the game?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I'm missing something obvious!

Edited by Erenna
forgot part of question

On 5/16/2022 at 8:39 PM, Erenna said:

This tool seems genuinely amazing. I've wanted to play around with modding KotOR for a long time, but hopping between all the programs and files, and the apparent pain of putting new modules and maps together is really daunting.

I've only played around with building a new indoor map, and I was excited to be able to load it up in game and run around.

I was wondering -- is there a tutorial or explanation on how to go from that first, empty map, to populating it with NPCs and such? Or more generally, how to go from that empty map to a proper module that can be loaded into without a warp command and modified like the normal modules in the game?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I'm missing something obvious!

Glad to see new people coming into the modding scene.

There are some tutorials accessible through the main window via Help -> Instructions, however its mostly empty at the moment. I will try include a tutorial for adding area transitions in the next update.

There are plenty of helpful resources on Deadlystream and on the backup versions of Lucasforums. Thor110 did a nice series of tutorials, some of it covering what you are asking for too. Note that since the toolset is relatively new, all the tutorials you will find will be based on using older tools such as Kotor Tool and K-GFF but a lot of the principles will still apply.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

I find this all frustratingly inspirational.

What I mean by this is, with this tool you have made some of the things that I had to do by hand years ago to a very very rough degree, nearly automated.

I lost almost all of that work, years ago, and only have note remnants and the grand outline. At that time, I gave up on KotOR/TSL modding, as I had literally poured years of free time into that effort only to lose it all in the stupidest of ways. Always make backups people.

Anyways, I feel like I am feeling the Force again. It is distant, and like an echo, and may come to nothing. But, I can say that I am definitely going to download this and play with it, and maybe I'll make good on some old WIPs finally.

Thank you for the effort and continued support!

Hello again, I'm the guy who complains about the smallest details.

Jokes aside, I think the tool used the windows-1252 encoding since february, but that doesn't apply to localised strings, which still use ascii and therefore, many latin characters can't be used in it.

Edit: It does not only happen to the dlg editor, it occurs to any localised string, I just found this issue by using the editor.

Edited by DarthDrija
Correcting mistake about an issue

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

So, I have installed the Holocron Toolset. This has brought some confusion. I am looking for source scripts, which I used to find in scripts.bif IIRC. Specifically, I am looking for a code comment from Preston on Yavin Station door that he had to make a workaround for. It is a cheesy transition, not a proper doorway, and he acknowledges this.

Finding scripts is both easy and hard with this new tool, and I will chalk my difficulty up to just being confused by new surroundings. After selecting KotOR as the game, the various dropdowns appear for Modules, Scripts etc. Cannot find the specific script I am looking for there.

I then selected Yavin's s.rim, as I believe that's where the .bif was stored. In "Templates"?

I of course tried to install KotOR Tool and get that working to do it that way, and lol can't make her work despite edits to registry and some other wonking. Worked on the old machine, but not so much now :(

Anyways, I have barely scratched the surface of what the tool can do, but it seems to have most of the things there and I just need to find them. However, if anyone can slap my memory or point me in the right HT direction, I would appreciate it.

MTFBWYA

You're probably looking for the YavinHackCloseDoor function's comment, which is in nwscript.nss:

// 771. YavinHackCloseDoor
// This is an incredibly hacky function to allow the doors to be properly
// closed on Yavin without running into the problems we've had.  It is too
// late in development to fix it correctly, so thus we do this.  Life is
// hard.  You'll get over it
void YavinHackCloseDoor( object oidDoor );