Cortisol

TOOL:Holocron Toolset

10 minutes ago, Cortisol said:

I hope it will inspire some people to create new content mods.

It's definitely something that would help expand a sublevel mod I am working on with a few others for K1. Could even flesh out the main level of the Jedi Enclave. Lot of doors there that could lead to new rooms.

I have always wanted to see a module editor like what you're working it. This really could make Kotor modding a lot less daunting for newcomers. 

• Like 1

Not much new to report, but (hopefully) will have a release out sometime in the first half of April.

For the Map Builder, I plan on having the rooms from the Sith Bases (both Taris and Manaan) avaiable for the user to mix and match. However, after that I'm not sure what place to add next. So if you're interested in using the tool to create new areas, I'm more than happy to take suggestions on what models to make useable. 

In addition to creating a layout for the rooms, the Map Builder tool also automatically fills in doors for the module and creates copies of the textures used in the models. This means you can retexture your unique module and not have it affect the models they were based on. Maps can be exported to both K1 or TSL regardless of what game the rooms your using originated from. Here is a video demonstrating how easy and quickly it is to use:

As for the module editor, most of the core functionality is finished. You can create, edit, move around and delete things from any module you chose to open. The editor builds a tree of all resources connected to the module and you can change which version of the resource (eg. pick the resource stored in the override vs the .mod file) which will be reflected in the 3D view. You can also toggle what kind of instances are being rendered to the screen. A quick demonstation can be seen in the video below:

Finally, if people are interested in contributing to the project, I would like to include tutorials packaged with the program the the user can browse through (simular interface to the instructions included in Kotor Tool). These tutorials can cover any aspect of modding, from texturing, to scripting, to in-depth module editing. Perferably they would also include screenshots showing how to accomplish the relevant task using to toolset. If anyone is interested in creating these or having existing tutorials that they want to offer, feel free to PM me. Thanks. I feel something like this would greatly benefit people new to modding.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cortisol said:

For the Map Builder, I plan on having the rooms from the Sith Bases (both Taris and Manaan) avaiable for the user to mix and match. However, after that I'm not sure what place to add next. So if you're interested in using the tool to create new areas, I'm more than happy to take suggestions on what models to make useable. 

Including the Enclave rooms in danm13, the main floor, in this bundle would really allow for a more functionally complete Academy to be made. There are numerous doors that right now lead nowhere, but could be used to expand into areas like additional hangar areas, training dojos, mediation gardens. You name it. Sublevel would be nice too ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Including the Enclave rooms in danm13, the main floor, in this bundle would really allow for a more functionally complete Academy to be made. There are numerous doors that right now lead nowhere, but could be used to expand into areas like additional hangar areas, training dojos, mediation gardens. You name it. Sublevel would be nice too ;)

I'll work on converting Enclave rooms next then. Although do note that can only create new areas, you can't edit existing modules. So for the Enclave modules packaged with the game if you want to add new rooms, you'll have to do this manually.

2 minutes ago, Cortisol said:

I'll work on converting Enclave rooms next then. Although do note that can only create new areas, you can't edit existing modules. So for the Enclave modules packaged with the game if you want to add new rooms, you'll have to do this manually.

I suppose in theory one could recreate the Enclave with the toolset from the ground up and build from there. If I am understanding correctly.

16 minutes ago, brents742 said:

I suppose in theory one could recreate the Enclave with the toolset from the ground up and build from there. If I am understanding correctly.

Correct. The main issue I suppose is that you risk all the coordinates in the module's GIT file and scripts no longer matching their intended location.

If its just a few rooms your looking to add that serve as transitions to other modules, I could probably manually do it for you, just message me (DS or Discord) when the time comes. Otherwise your welcome to try recreating the existing layout through the map builder, it'd be a neat thing to see happen.

The Korriban tomb modules would be a good addition to the module editor. They follow a similar structure to that of the Sith base by being completely in-doors and share similar linearity. The interior areas of Taris could also work, like the apartments or the lower city. Beyond that, idk what would be similar and diverse enough to be considered without being too complicated. 

How would someone add custom modules to for use in the module editor? For example, the cut beta modules like the cut Tatooine temple/cave? Will they all load directly from the game's modules folder? 

35 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

The Korriban tomb modules would be a good addition to the module editor. They follow a similar structure to that of the Sith base by being completely in-doors and share similar linearity. The interior areas of Taris could also work, like the apartments or the lower city. Beyond that, idk what would be similar and diverse enough to be considered without being too complicated. 

Korrian tombs sounds good. The Hidden Bek/Black Vulkar would work well also.

36 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

How would someone add custom modules to for use in the module editor?

To open a module you need a RIM/ERF/MOD file containing a module.ifo and then the ARE/GIT/LYT files need to be floating somewhere in the game files too. If you got those files, you are good to go. 

42 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

For example, the cut beta modules like the cut Tatooine temple/cave? Will they all load directly from the game's modules folder? 

The cut module for tatooine actually lacks any RIM file, so in its current state it won't open. That said, if you know what you are doing, it shouldn't be too hard to get it to work:

tat-cut-5.png

tat-cut-3.png

tat-cut-4.png

Thanks for the update! Could you clarify a little more about when you said "if you know what you are doing"? Do you mean like converting a MOD file to RIM? Or is there another way? Either way, how would you go about doing it? 

13 hours ago, Cortisol said:

Not much new to report, but (hopefully) will have a release out sometime in the first half of April.

In addition to creating a layout for the rooms, the Map Builder tool also automatically fills in doors for the module and creates copies of the textures used in the models. This means you can retexture your unique module and not have it affect the models they were based on. Maps can be exported to both K1 or TSL regardless of what game the rooms your using originated from. Here is a video demonstrating how easy and quickly it is to use:

As for the module editor, most of the core functionality is finished. You can create, edit, move around and delete things from any module you chose to open. The editor builds a tree of all resources connected to the module and you can change which version of the resource (eg. pick the resource stored in the override vs the .mod file) which will be reflected in the 3D view. You can also toggle what kind of instances are being rendered to the screen. A quick demonstation can be seen in the video below:

Finally, if people are interested in contributing to the project, I would like to include tutorials packaged with the program the the user can browse through (simular interface to the instructions included in Kotor Tool). These tutorials can cover any aspect of modding, from texturing, to scripting, to in-depth module editing. Perferably they would also include screenshots showing how to accomplish the relevant task using to toolset. If anyone is interested in creating these or having existing tutorials that they want to offer, feel free to PM me. Thanks. I feel something like this would greatly benefit people new to modding.

cant wait for the new update of this awesome modding tool. Keep up the good work

13 hours ago, Cortisol said:

P.S. will you be able to release the module editor sooner ? this is truly an awesome modding tool. Easy to use and learn. Also is there a way to edit the skybox? Would be awesome if we can add republic fighters and cruisers in the sky to show why even the sith dont just pursue Revan and his followers to Dantooine.

Hi, I downloaded the new version as you released it and it looked fine to me, until I tried to open the Map Builder, it doesn't open at all. I'm using the Ubuntu version. 

Edit: Nevermind, i had to put two files in the ext folder, now it works, sorry for bothering you.

Edited by DarthDrija

Glad to see that the new update is out, and way earlier than I expected. I'm incredibly excited to see what the modding community can do with a tool like this. I look forward to playing around with this when I get a chance. 

Edit: Dumb question, but is there a way to rotate individual parts/map models on the map builder? I saw you do it in your demo video, but I can only see the option to rotate the camera itself.

6 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

Glad to see that the new update is out, and way earlier than I expected. I'm incredibly excited to see what the modding community can do with a tool like this. I look forward to playing around with this when I get a chance. 

I've decided to release earlier than intended since everything seemed to be mostly stable and I'm not going to have as much time to work on it in the coming weeks. I did have a long checklist of things I wanted to get done before release but that list was growing faster than I was crossing things off. Oh well.

6 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

Edit: Dumb question, but is there a way to rotate individual parts/map models on the map builder? I saw you do it in your demo video, but I can only see the option to rotate the camera itself.

Yeah sorry, I seemed to have missed that in the instructions. You can rotate the model by using the mouse wheel.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:01 AM, Mephiles550 said:

Thanks for the update! Could you clarify a little more about when you said "if you know what you are doing"? Do you mean like converting a MOD file to RIM? Or is there another way? Either way, how would you go about doing it? 

To have a working module you need:

• Area models with textures
  • .LYT file - Lists what area models to use and their coordinates
  • .VIS file - Basically lists which area models are visible when standing in a specific model
  • .ARE file - Stores some information about the module, like lighting
  • .GIT file - Stores list of creatures/placeable/doors/ect
  • .IFO file - Stores some information about the module including the name of which LYT/VIS/ARE/GIT files to use. Unlike the other files listed, this MUST be stored inside a ERF/MOD file and MUST be named "module.ifo". The ERF/RIM (doesnt matter which format) that stores the module.ifo file is what your are referencing when you type the warp cheat.

Bioware left the files for the first 3 points in the game but not the last 3. So in order to get the module working you will need to create a new RIM or ERF file and add a IFO inside of it as well as the appropriately named ARE and GIT files. You can just copy these files from existing modules. The "Area_Name" and "Mod_Entry_Area" fields in the module.ifo should have their value set to "m19aa" as this is the name of both the LYT and VIS files that Bioware left behind. This also means you GIT and ARE files should be named m19aa. Once this is done, you should be good to go. Hope that made sense.

7 hours ago, DarthDrija said:

Hi, I downloaded the new version as you released it and it looked fine to me, until I tried to open the Map Builder, it doesn't open at all. I'm using the Ubuntu version. 

Edit: Nevermind, i had to put two files in the ext folder, now it works, sorry for bothering you.

Yeah I need to improve some of the error handling. Having some files missing may cause some silent errors to occur. Its important to copy all of the files in the zip.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jj117 said:

Also is there a way to edit the skybox? Would be awesome if we can add republic fighters and cruisers in the sky to show why even the sith dont just pursue Revan and his followers to Dantooine.

Not through the toolset, no. You need to edit the skybox model itself through something like Blender which is a whole other can of worms.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 8:06 AM, Cortisol said:

I've decided to release earlier than intended since everything seemed to be mostly stable and I'm not going to have as much time to work on it in the coming weeks. I did have a long checklist of things I wanted to get done before release but that list was growing faster than I was crossing things off. Oh well.

Yeah sorry, I seemed to have missed that in the instructions. You can rotate the model by using the mouse wheel.

To have a working module you need:

• Area models with textures
  • .LYT file - Lists what area models to use and their coordinates
  • .VIS file - Basically lists which area models are visible when standing in a specific model
  • .ARE file - Stores some information about the module, like lighting
  • .GIT file - Stores list of creatures/placeable/doors/ect
  • .IFO file - Stores some information about the module including the name of which LYT/VIS/ARE/GIT files to use. Unlike the other files listed, this MUST be stored inside a ERF/MOD file and MUST be named "module.ifo". The ERF/RIM (doesnt matter which format) that stores the module.ifo file is what your are referencing when you type the warp cheat.

Bioware left the files for the first 3 points in the game but not the last 3. So in order to get the module working you will need to create a new RIM or ERF file and add a IFO inside of it as well as the appropriately named ARE and GIT files. You can just copy these files from existing modules. The "Area_Name" and "Mod_Entry_Area" fields in the module.ifo should have their value set to "m19aa" as this is the name of both the LYT and VIS files that Bioware left behind. This also means you GIT and ARE files should be named m19aa. Once this is done, you should be good to go. Hope that made sense.

Yeah I need to improve some of the error handling. Having some files missing may cause some silent errors to occur. Its important to copy all of the files in the zip.

Not through the toolset, no. You need to edit the skybox model itself through something like Blender which is a whole other can of worms.

do i need to restart the whole game again? because i added a new npc on Dantooine and the map refused to be loaded right after escaping from taris.

2 hours ago, Jj117 said:

do i need to restart the whole game again? because i added a new npc on Dantooine and the map refused to be loaded right after escaping from taris.

No, there seems to be an issue with how the Module Editor saves GIT files. I'll try release a hotfix soon. For now, try opening the GIT file from the GIT Editor (rather than the Module Editor) and save it from there, that seemed to fix the issue for me.

Edit: I think I see what the problem is. I'll try have a patch out sometime today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cortisol said:

No, there seems to be an issue with how the Module Editor saves GIT files. I'll try release a hotfix soon. For now, try opening the GIT file from the GIT Editor (rather than the Module Editor) and save it from there, that seemed to fix the issue for me.

Edit: I think I see what the problem is. I'll try have a patch out sometime today.

thank you

a quick question. Where is the GIT file saved? and how do i add new NPC? because when i try to add an npc it has the camera icon.  When i play the game the newly added NPCs dont show up. Ive tried editing through the module as shown in your video adding Malak but (Since im a noob) i cant figure out whats what. Can you help. Thank you

P.s. Where are we supposed to place the git file? is it on override or module folder?

21 hours ago, Cortisol said:

1 hour ago, Jj117 said:

Where is the GIT file saved? 

1 hour ago, Jj117 said:

P.s. Where are we supposed to place the git file? is it on override or module folder?

GIT file should not go into the override folder, it should stay in the MOD/RIM.

If you have no mods installed you will have a single GIT file stored in a RIM file. If you have a mod like K1CP installed you will have two GIT files, one in a MOD and one in a RIM, the one in the MOD takes higher priority and is what will be used in the game. You can change which one you are editing by right clicking the file in the resource list (the greyed out one is the one that you are editing):

assist1.png

1 hour ago, Jj117 said:

because when i try to add an npc it has the camera icon.  When i play the game the newly added NPCs dont show up. 

How are you adding the NPCs/Creatures? Are you going through this menu?

assist2.png

Also, if you've visted the module before, it will not show up. You will need to use a save from before you entered the module.

5 hours ago, Cortisol said:

GIT file should not go into the override folder, it should stay in the MOD/RIM.

If you have no mods installed you will have a single GIT file stored in a RIM file. If you have a mod like K1CP installed you will have two GIT files, one in a MOD and one in a RIM, the one in the MOD takes higher priority and is what will be used in the game. You can change which one you are editing by right clicking the file in the resource list (the greyed out one is the one that you are editing):

assist1.png

assist2.png

Also, if you've visted the module before, it will not show up. You will need to use a save from before you entered the module.

thank you. this was really educational and a much needed tutorial

I have having issues with permissions to use this program. I am not sure what I need to do to get this to work.

thank you in advance

ive managed to add NPCs on a level but i dont know how to make them equip weapons. Previously i used to make an npc carry (example a blaster rifle) and then enabling the modded feat ID: 93 on FEAT section but now i cant even open the "edit inventory" section while editing an NPC. Is it a problem from my end or is the app broken?

On 4/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, Cortisol said:

assist2.png

yes i do add NPC like this as shown above and then i edit the npc position through the MODULE section (Where we get only the 2d map)

p.s.

when i click on the "EDIT INVENTORY" this appears

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "editors\utc\utc_editor.py", line 447, in openInventory
  File "editors\inventory_editor.py", line 128, in __init__
KeyError: <EquipmentSlot.INVALID: 0>

Edited by Jj117
grammatical error

On 4/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, Jj117 said:

ive managed to add NPCs on a level but i dont know how to make them equip weapons. Previously i used to make an npc carry (example a blaster rifle) and then enabling the modded feat ID: 93 on FEAT section but now i cant even open the "edit inventory" section while editing an NPC. Is it a problem from my end or is the app broken?

I seem to have broken the inventory editor in one of the past updates, but it should be fixed in the latest release that just came out.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:42 AM, mikeyok67 said:

I have having issues with permissions to use this program. I am not sure what I need to do to get this to work.

thank you in advance

I'll need a bit more information to help you. You are running windows, I presume? What sort of permission issues? Are you getting an error when opening the program? If you can post a screenshot of the problem that would be great. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Cortisol said:

I'll need a bit more information to help you. You are running windows, I presume? What sort of permission issues? Are you getting an error when opening the program? If you can post a screenshot of the problem that would be great. Thanks.

I figured it out. I should have read the first paragraph closely and clicked on the antivirus hyperlink. Avast quarantined my file and unquarantined it and made an exception. 

Now I have another question that hasn't been asked and is probably stupid.

For the module editor. I have loaded a tsl module and everytime I attempt to move it takes an extreme amount of time to load. I am loading it from an ssd with 32gbs ram at 3600mhz busspeed. I am unsure if it is my system or lag in computing. I saw your video and it seems like I may be doing something wrong. how do you move? is it possible to have the module editor have a view that is similar to the kotor tool module editor? I guess the last one is similar to the .git editor but in the .git editor I can't create new items in said menu with the options that were in kotor tool. 

for those who don't know, you can compare two gff files (.git,.ifo,.are,utc,uti, jrl etc) in tslpatcher for easier installation for when/if you post any mods. do save you .git elsewhere so you can use it to compare and update your .git to be compatible with other mods that affect the same module.

thank you in advance, this is an awesome tool that combined a bunch of other tools which is almost making my modding life so much easier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyok67 said:

For the module editor. I have loaded a tsl module and everytime I attempt to move it takes an extreme amount of time to load. I am loading it from an ssd with 32gbs ram at 3600mhz busspeed. I am unsure if it is my system or lag in computing. I saw your video and it seems like I may be doing something wrong. how do you move? is it possible to have the module editor have a view that is similar to the kotor tool module editor? I guess the last one is similar to the .git editor but in the .git editor I can't create new items in said menu with the options that were in kotor tool. 

Are you refering to moving the camera or an object? Which module have you tried editing? There should only be a brief lag spike the first time you move an object (as the toolset is loading the module's walkmeshes into memory).

To move the camera hold the CTRL key and drag the cursor with the left mouse button down. To move an object do the same thing, just don't hold CTRL down. The full list of controls can be found in the help book (from the main window, not the module editor window, go Help -> Instructions).

I do plan on adding a 2D view like the GIT Editor to the Module Editor eventually, but its not a high priority at the moment.

• Like 1