Sign in to follow this  
EAF97

Help porting Sith Robe models

I have attempted multiple times now to port the Sith robe models from Kotor 2 using MDLEdit but every time it seems to be working, they show up with the model but all black and no texture as shown below. In this case I used the supermodel listed (s_female03) and everything went through seemingly with no errors. Testing it on the Sith student Lashowe, I renamed the modeli and texi columns to the ported models and texture and I then renamed the modelb and texb columns after putting the models in the override folder and got the below result. My final attempt was to change *all* model and texture columns to the files I had put in override but there was no change in appearance regardless. What exactly am I doing wrong and which columns need to be changed? I changed *every* column to the name of the model and texture I installed but it wouldn't budge. Does the texture simply not fit the model anymore after it's been ported, or is there another issue?

image.png

image.png

Try changing the texture name to n_lashowebb01, and see if that works. 🤔

Edit: texture name as in filename, not the one listed in the 2DA. Keep what's in the 2DA as n_lashowebb.

Edited by ebmar

56 minutes ago, ebmar said:

Try changing the texture name to n_lashowebb01, and see if that works. 🤔

Edit: texture name as in filename, not the one listed in the 2DA. Keep what's in the 2DA as n_lashowebb.

HAH!! It worked!!! You're a life-saver, so thank you. Just out of curiosity, why did it need to be changed to that instead of what was on the 2da? I've never had this issue with head textures, so I'm just curious how that works

image.png

10 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Because the body texture columns in appearance.2da specify a variant base name, not a discreet texture name. The specific variant is specified by the UTI, or failing that it defaults to the 01 variant.

That makes sense. Does this mean only the modeli and texi columns would need to be changed then?

2 hours ago, EAF97 said:

It worked!!!

Congrats! 🍻

1 hour ago, EAF97 said:

Does this mean only the modeli and texi columns would need to be changed then?

Depends on what armor you use with the relevant NPC/UTC. Assuming that Lashowe's equipping a Dark Jedi Robe, yes -- "i" class' the one to be edited to make it worked. So if you make her equip Verpine Fiber Mesh that is--correct me if I'm wrong--"e" class [modele/texe] she'll have clothes changed to that then. Unless, you change what's in there to n_lashowebb -- she'll wear the robe instead.

I suggest you to just keep what you're doing right now by having same looks with all class armor particularly for unique NPCs with dedicated appearance row. I believe that will save you from trouble going forwards, as I practiced that as well and all seem going fine so far. There are rare exceptions that'll want you to not doing that. For example, at a module you want her to equip the robe, and with the next one she wear Basic Clothing -- but that's another story to dig in.

• Light Side Points 1

15 minutes ago, ebmar said:

I suggest you to just keep what you're doing right now by having same looks with all class armor particularly for unique NPCs with dedicated appearance row. I believe that will save you from trouble going forwards, as I practiced that as well and all seem going fine so far. There are rare exceptions that'll want you to not doing that. For example, at a module you want her to equip the robe, and with the next one she wear Basic Clothing -- but that's another story to dig in.

Gotcha that makes sense. I assume the class of each item is listed then if I look it up?

Phew, found it -- 

I suggest you to look at that post to learn more about armor classes [only that's relevant on your current attempt] -- it's just I can't explain it any better than JC to be fair [dang, better had that one bookmarked, really].

• Thanks 1