brents742

Enclave Sublevel as a Functioning Jedi Academy

22 hours ago, EAF97 said:

Right I've done that numerous times, but I was wondering how to add additional NPCs into a given module and/or edit them which isn't possible in Kotor Tool which only uses files which are already coded into the game. Some mods are able to do that and add in more NPCs and so I was wondering if there was a tool available to edit custom modules and in turn the utc files in them.

You just need to add them to the 2DA file ( appearance.2da ) if you look around enough, there is more than enough information, tutorials and resources on this site alone to get you started.

Best thing I could suggest is stop using KotOR Tool for anything other than extracting files, pretty sure in my crash course video I went over the basics of each and every program I used in the creation of my project.

There are also limitations to how many entries the appearance.2da can have, in KotOR2 at least, but that limit can also be bypassed by using TSLPatcher to add new entries.

The UTC file is literally just a character sheet, that points to an entry in the appearance.2da as well as soundset.2da and some others as well as lists their feats, powers, items etc

What I did back when I started my project was just download every tool available, from a hex editor to every last program made for modding KotOR1/2, some of which I didn't need in the end and just hacked away at the game until I got it the way I wanted it. Or close enough for the time being.

It could also be worth going back through some of my streams and watching me work on my mod if you have the time to do so, though I can't exactly say what will and what won't be useful.

I definitely covered basic 2DA editing in my crash course tutorial video as I just checked, though not sure which 2DA files I discussed.

Perhaps if you really need it I could offer live modding assistance sometime as I have been planning to do it, it's just a matter of finding the time, organising myself a bit better and streaming on Twitch more regularly, plus I have been taking a lengthy break from kotor modding and my project at the moment anyway.

32 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Perhaps if you really need it I could offer live modding assistance sometime as I have been planning to do it, it's just a matter of finding the time, organising myself a bit better and streaming on Twitch more regularly, plus I have been taking a lengthy break from kotor modding and my project at the moment anyway.

Gotcha. I did download Kotor Level Editor and am currently teaching myself how to use it. My main concerns rn with my attempted mod are how to add additional NPCs to a given module as well as how to add in voice files for them. My main focus of the mod besides a general NPC overhaul is as follows:

1) I successfully ported all the additional Jedi Council members from Kotor 2 (Atris, Lonna Vash, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell) into the Dantooine Enclave and had each of them replace one of the generic Jedi NPCs who was roaming around. My intent is to have it so the player can click on each of them and they can briefly address the player with a couple of lines about Revan (no complex conversation, it ends after they speak, they're just dropping subtle hints that they know the player).

2) I wanted to have it so that in addition to the group of Jedi who greet the player when first arriving at the Star Forge, I intended to make it so that an additional group of about four Jedi would appear and address the player at some point on either level 1 or 2 further in on the Star Forge--it would either be 3 generic males and 1 female or depending on the player's choices, each of them would be replaced by Dustil, Mekel, Kel Algwinn, and/or Yuthura if the player successfully redeemed any of them on Korriban.

1 hour ago, EAF97 said:

Gotcha. I did download Kotor Level Editor and am currently teaching myself how to use it. My main concerns rn with my attempted mod are how to add additional NPCs to a given module as well as how to add in voice files for them. My main focus of the mod besides a general NPC overhaul is as follows:

1) I successfully ported all the additional Jedi Council members from Kotor 2 (Atris, Lonna Vash, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell) into the Dantooine Enclave and had each of them replace one of the generic Jedi NPCs who was roaming around. My intent is to have it so the player can click on each of them and they can briefly address the player with a couple of lines about Revan (no complex conversation, it ends after they speak, they're just dropping subtle hints that they know the player).

2) I wanted to have it so that in addition to the group of Jedi who greet the player when first arriving at the Star Forge, I intended to make it so that an additional group of about four Jedi would appear and address the player at some point on either level 1 or 2 further in on the Star Forge--it would either be 3 generic males and 1 female or depending on the player's choices, each of them would be replaced by Dustil, Mekel, Kel Algwinn, and/or Yuthura if the player successfully redeemed any of them on Korriban.

If you have already managed to get Atris across then you shouldn't have much trouble, I wouldn't have thought anyway? Feel free to stop by my stream and ask me questions if you wish as I am currently streaming, not modding or playing KotOR though but I can try and answer any questions you might have. ( https://www.twitch.tv/thor110 )

28 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

If you have already managed to get Atris across then you shouldn't have much trouble, I wouldn't have thought anyway? Feel free to stop by my stream and ask me questions if you wish as I am currently streaming, not modding or playing KotOR though but I can try and answer any questions you might have. ( https://www.twitch.tv/thor110 )

I'm not exactly sure how chatting on Twitch works but I'll give it a try. My mic is busted and my speakers aren't working well however so I'll just be typing the questions out rather than verbally answering or being able to listen if they're spoken

1 hour ago, EAF97 said:

I'm not exactly sure how chatting on Twitch works but I'll give it a try. My mic is busted and my speakers aren't working well however so I'll just be typing the questions out rather than verbally answering or being able to listen if they're spoken

No worries, hopefully I answered your questions. Just text chat I believe on Twitch.

I am a lot more active on Discord so if you need any more help feel free to reach out to me and I will do my best to answer whatever questions you have regarding KotOR, though I only really mod KotOR2 so it is possible that I might not be able to help regarding some things, but I am fairly sure I understand the basic differences between the two.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

No worries, hopefully I answered your questions. Just text chat I believe on Twitch.

I am a lot more active on Discord so if you need any more help feel free to reach out to me and I will do my best to answer whatever questions you have regarding KotOR, though I only really mod KotOR2 so it is possible that I might not be able to help regarding some things, but I am fairly sure I understand the basic differences between the two.

The chat glitched for some reason and I didn't see any messages on there. I was forced to refresh the page

19 minutes ago, EAF97 said:

The chat glitched for some reason and I didn't see any messages on there. I was forced to refresh the page

Ah well that was a bit of a waste of time then. Nevermind.

Basically from what I can tell, you need to spend a little longer looking around DeadlyStream at the various resources. ( it can take time, but there is more than enough to guide people to making pretty much anything in the game available on this site )

If at some point you have speakers you can always re-watch that part of the stream from my YouTube channel. As I don't think you mentioned that you had no speakers in your messages on Twitch.

1. The audio files need trimming of their fake headers, the program SithCodec can handle that or you can trim them manually with a hex editor.

2. Locating the audio files will require you open the dialog files and find the name of the file.

3. My tutorials cover placing NPCs and similar things.

I think that covers the questions you asked.

So it seems that every common room area (the rooms with the 4 pillars), has an expansive open area underneath. There are 4 of these areas in total. The possibilities of what to do in these space, if I can figure out how to get down there, are huge.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brents742 said:

So it seems that every common room area (the rooms with the 4 pillars), has an expansive open area underneath. There are 4 of these areas in total. The possibilities of what to do in these space, if I can figure out how to get down there, are huge.

Capture.PNG

Another interesting thought, you might need to make a walkmesh for it as well as make the ceiling. But I am guessing you might know this already given the image you have chosen to use.

Though sealing the room shouldn't prove to be too tricky, nor should adding a walkmesh if it requires one.

Could definitely be an interesting training area or something, perhaps even add a doorway just for show but teleport the player down there.

Edit : yeah doesn't look like it has a walkmesh down there, unless KotOR Toolset cannot generate it due to it being directly below another.

room.png.46b1d4d4173b6b5e18a1ae34f781487f.png

Edited by Thor110
KotOR Toolset Image
  • Light Side Points 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, Thor110 said:

Another interesting thought, you might need to make a walkmesh for it as well as make the ceiling. But I am guessing you might know this already given the image you have chosen to use.

Though sealing the room shouldn't prove to be too tricky, nor should adding a walkmesh if it requires one.

Could definitely be an interesting training area or something, perhaps even add a doorway just for show but teleport the player down there.

Edit : yeah doesn't look like it has a walkmesh down there, unless KotOR Toolset cannot generate it due to it being directly below another.

room.png.46b1d4d4173b6b5e18a1ae34f781487f.png

Yeah, I tried to warp directly to a waypoint I placed where it should show, but no luck of course. Time to learn walkmeshes! The Kotor Level Editor has really helped the process along from a design standpoint, not too hard to use once you iron out how to work with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Yeah, I tried to warp directly to a waypoint I placed where it should show, but no luck of course. Time to learn walkmeshes! The Kotor Level Editor has really helped the process along from a design standpoint, not too hard to use once you iron out how to work with it.

I still haven't properly worked it out properly, used it a couple of times to place some assets then let it sit for a while as I still have a lot of scripting left to do.

But I know the RoR developer made a tutorial on using it, which I need to re-watch at some point.

What I did at first was use K-GFF editor to quickly add lots of assets stacked on top of each other to the level, then used KotOR toolset to roughly place those assets and KotOR Level Editor to refine their positions, certainly was handy to be able to see what you are working with.

Hopefully it's not too tricky to add a room under a room, as I have this strange feeling it won't play nice. But if it doesn't you could always cut it out and make it it's own room / module altogether.

Thor110

5 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

I still haven't properly worked it out properly, used it a couple of times to place some assets then let it sit for a while as I still have a lot of scripting left to do.

But I know the RoR developer made a tutorial on using it, which I need to re-watch at some point.

What I did at first was use K-GFF editor to quickly add lots of assets stacked on top of each other to the level, then used KotOR toolset to roughly place those assets and KotOR Level Editor to refine their positions, certainly was handy to be able to see what you are working with.

Hopefully it's not too tricky to add a room under a room, as I have this strange feeling it won't play nice. But if it doesn't you could always cut it out and make it it's own room / module altogether.

Thor110

Yeah the double layers made me worry too if it would play nice, or even at all. I can't think of any other areas where this occurs. What interests me is why the developers went to the effort they did to make these rooms to begin with. They either had plans at one point, or were really committed to the common area rooms being able to look down into an empty area. Worst case scenario, One or two of them can be copied and moved over to a different area that has room for them on the main level. Apparently there was a secret cloning facility within the Dantooine Enclave according to 'canon' so that's an option, more likely I'll house Sith and Jedi artifacts here and the like in addition to a large training area.

7 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Yeah the double layers made me worry too if it would play nice, or even at all. I can't think of any other areas where this occurs. What interests me is why the developers went to the effort they did to make these rooms to begin with. They either had plans at one point, or were really committed to the common area rooms being able to look down into an empty area. Worst case scenario, One or two of them can be copied and moved over to a different area that has room for them on the main level. Apparently there was a secret cloning facility within the Dantooine Enclave according to 'canon' so that's an option, more likely I'll house Sith and Jedi artifacts here and the like in addition to a large training area.

Could have just been to give it a feel that it was bigger than it actually is, given that it is destroyed it is possible there would be lower levels that are caved in or inaccessible.

That is certainly always an option ( adding a copy of the room to the layout / are off in the distance, kind of like how there are some little rooms for cutscenes at a distance in other levels throughout the game.

As an update to this, work on the project has shifted to K1 first in coordination with @EAF97and their NPC Overhaul project. The module has successfuly been ported into K1 thanks to Thor110s tutorials. As work carries on and various scripts and quests get created next, the project will enter a workable state that can be released in a beta format before the end of the year (2021). The goal would be a full release but that depends on my schedule. Here's what got messed with today:

Using @InSidiousmodding resource for holocron models, the Jedi Academy sublevel on Dantooine now has actual holocrons! Jedi Initiates have been added to the Academy where the player can witness some of their training. @EAF97has worked hard to get Atris and her Handmaiden's ported over and we are thinking of what quests can be associated with them and the holocrons.

20211113191011_1.thumb.jpg.ab6e1d4519ed9bd6fdc435aae466f093.jpg20211113112328_1.thumb.jpg.a89429d4090a5209a166a12996d4299c.jpg

20211113192156_1.thumb.jpg.0065ad882be9606bcdf7e7da5ba052c9.jpgOur buddies Rickard and Handon from the murder investigation quest are not happy about their arrangements.

• Like 8
  • Light Side Points 1

Amazing work so far, can't wait to see how we can work the Handmaiden/Atris sidequest into this 🙂

• Like 2
  • Light Side Points 1

LIL BABY JEDI! I love it. And holocrons! There should always be more holocrons in SW.

• Light Side Points 1

This is really impressive! Would you be able to clean the module of any rubish and debris seen throughout the map, though? Idk what parts of that in TSL are just placeables or part of the map itself.

• Light Side Points 1

Just now, Mephiles550 said:

This is really impressive! Would you be able to clean the module of any rubish and debris seen throughout the map, though? Idk what parts of that in TSL are just placeables or part of the map itself.

So as far as rubble, any that can be easily removed has been. Ie the placeables. The big structural debris that partially blocks off some hallways are part of the actual model of those hallways and while they appear to be removable it’s beyond my current abilities. The plan is to explain those away as either early efforts of the Laigreks to break in or failed czerka thermal charges that were used to try and expand the sub level by the Jedi. 

That being said, we would like the large debris cleared out and the the hallways 100% restored. So if anyone has experience changing the actual structure of modules, feel free to take a stab at it!

• Like 2

I will be adding some revisions to the appearance of the NPCs as well. Handon and Rickard will have custom appearances and Master Bolook will as well. I'm also considering adding Atris to the archives and making it so the player can report to her when they finish their quest.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

20211117152825_1.thumb.jpg.5d7dee39d95fce7fac9f86c52ffd3e15.jpg20211117152835_1.thumb.jpg.9a4a2078057d5203275f6dc74d0a5262.jpg

Today the Operations Center of the Jedi Enclave Sublevel began to take shape. Here, the Jedi work in cooperation with Republic aides to track fleet deployments, ongoing missions, and can communicate directly with Republic Command via the holo-table. My thinking here is the holo of Admiral Dodonna could be used as either background detail with republic soldiers talking to her out of earshot, or a quest designed with speaking to her being a part of it.

Having issues getting the Jedi to spar like the Mandalorian recruits do on Dxun in TSL. In the meantime they've been set to min 1 hp and to different factions just for displaying the idea Jedi will be sparring and dueling within the sublevel to give the impression they are doing all they can to be prepared for the war. I'd like to set up a dedicated dueling room where the player can practice against other Jedi and even the Masters as there is dialog I found from the main level of the Enclave that indicates at one time we were meant to beat Jedi like Zhar in a duel to progress in the questline

20211117152537_1.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, StellarExile said:

Will this be for 1?

This will release for K1 first, yes. Then TSL will follow up with relevant changes.