brents742

Enclave Sublevel as a Functioning Jedi Academy

When I used to play TSL on the xbox as a kid, I would spend hours in the Enclave Sublevel wondering what it would be like if it was cleaned up and restored to a functioning Academy where Jedi would live and train. Playing Jedi Outcast and seeing Luke's Jedi Academy and all the students training was incredibly amazing to see and helped to inspire my hopes for the Enclave sublevel. After I got my feet wet modding with some recruitment mods, such as getting T3-M4 early and recruiting HK-47 on Taris, and learned my way around the various modding tools available, I began work to restore the Sublevel as a central hub for a resurgent Jedi Order to train a new generation.

So far, I have cleaned up all the debris from the sublevel, evicted the Laigreks, placed additional dormitories, created a holo communications room similar in function to what we see in Revenge of the Sith, as well as dedicating one of the rooms as a functioning Medical Bay. Presently, I am working on transferring the scripts that the Mandalorian recruits on Dxun use when sparring to have Jedi Padawans be dueling with lightsabers at set intervals in one of the rooms that I will dedicate as a training area. I plan to place holocrons within the Jedi Archives and training holograms that can either be sparred with directly or used as instructional vids for younglings.

My ultimate goal would be for this to be end game content, with a light side player arriving on Dantooine to meet a Twilek who used to maintain the Enclave when the Jedi were around and he offers his help in restoring what he worked for years to maintain before the bombardment. Modules on Dantooine beyond the sublevel could also be changed to reflect the Jedi's presence on the planet again, with training missions to take out Kath Hounds, helping settlers, what have you. I have so many ideas and many may be beyond reality but I wanted to announce this here and see what people's thoughts were and if they had any ideas on what they would be interested in seeing.

One thing that is presently beyond my abilities is restoring the Enclave main level to a functioning state via the removal of the large stone debris and changing the module to reflect areas that were present in K1 such as the landing area. It's definitely something I'd like to include, but I will need to learn more as I dive into fulfilling this childhood dream of mine.

As a side note, I've begun thinking what a restored Sith Academy would look and function like so its possible this could be all be wrapped into an 'Academy Expansion' mod of some sort.

20210910153852_1.jpg

20210910153912_1.jpg

20210910153954_1.jpg

20210910154008_1.jpg

20210910154137_1.jpg

20210910154225_1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Light Side Points 2

I love this idea, the enclave sub level and the Ludo Kressh Tomb in K2: TSL are my number one wishes to be implemented into K1, keep up the great work!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you plan on turning this into a mod? It looks great! I'd recommend having Atris or someone like that appear inside to complete the look since it's where the archives and relics are

• Like 1

I love it!

15 hours ago, EAF97 said:

I'd recommend having Atris or someone like that appear inside to complete the look since it's where the archives and relics are

And I second this 👆 I could probably do a passable Mical impression if that's a character you wanted to include.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhaboka said:

I love it!

And I second this 👆 I could probably do a passable Mical impression if that's a character you wanted to include.

Wasn't Mical a teenager at this point and/or had left the order already during the Mandalorian Wars because the Exile left?

• Like 1

Absolutely! Mical would definitely be included in this.

I should clarify that the current work is creating an academy post-malachor on the timeline. But the way the sublevel academy functions and operates could then be ported over to K1 for better immersion there as well. Having Atris in the archives and maybe change up the jedi training on Dantooine to include visiting the sublevel for various tasks would be exciting and I think really tie the two games better more. Especially the inclusion of Atris. It's not clear to me if Atris knew about the Council's decision after Revan's capture so how she reacts would depend on that.

29 minutes ago, Zhaboka said:

I love it!

Absolutely! Mical would definitely be included in this.

I should clarify that the current work is creating an academy post-malachor on the timeline. But the way the sublevel academy functions and operates could then be ported over to K1 for better immersion there as well. Having Atris in the archives and maybe change up the jedi training on Dantooine to include visiting the sublevel for various tasks would be exciting and I think really tie the two games better more. Especially the inclusion of Atris. It's not clear to me if Atris knew about the Council's decision after Revan's capture so how she reacts would depend on that.

16 hours ago, EAF97 said:

Do you plan on turning this into a mod? It looks great! I'd recommend having Atris or someone like that appear inside to complete the look since it's where the archives and relics are

Yes! Once it is in a workable state I will likely release a beta version and get some feedback on what works and what could use refinement.

5 minutes ago, brents742 said:

I should clarify that the current work is creating an academy post-malachor on the timeline. But the way the sublevel academy functions and operates could then be ported over to K1 for better immersion there as well.

Feel free to make use of the modders resource I released of all the levels ported from K2 to K1 for this purpose if you wish, I also wrote a tutorial on porting levels if you wish to do it manually.

Sounds like an interesting idea, I put the enclave sub-level into the port of K1 I was working on for a while ( currently I am focusing on my other project for a bit ) but haven't done anything with it yet.

The door and ramp also already exists in the K1 level which means you don't have to warp in there etc

enclave.png.1f4a77241e5529417d9b7bf69c5768df.thumb.png.883a6d657a01c7679ab69ced56068bfc.png

Liking the look of it already, be interesting to see it in a new light.

Thor110

30 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Atris most likely knew about the Council's decision, she knew who Kreia was and that she was responsible for Revan's leanings. In the novel, Revan actually meets with Atris after the events in Kotor I and asks her about the Exile and Atris tells Revan what happened.

33 minutes ago, brents742 said:

You should consult the Revenge of Revan team (N-DReW 25 is the most responsive) and make sure it's compatible with their planned expansion when it comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EAF97 said:

Atris most likely knew about the Council's decision, she knew who Kreia was and that she was responsible for Revan's leanings. In the novel, Revan actually meets with Atris after the events in Kotor I and asks her about the Exile and Atris tells Revan what happened.

You should consult the Revenge of Revan team (N-DReW 25 is the most responsive) and make sure it's compatible with their planned expansion when it comes out.

Thanks for the info! Compatibility will be a huge consideration considering the scope of this project and its potential impact on more modules than just the sublevel.

1 hour ago, Thor110 said:

Feel free to make use of the modders resource I released of all the levels ported from K2 to K1 for this purpose if you wish, I also wrote a tutorial on porting levels if you wish to do it manually.

Sounds like an interesting idea, I put the enclave sub-level into the port of K1 I was working on for a while ( currently I am focusing on my other project for a bit ) but haven't done anything with it yet.

The door and ramp also already exists in the K1 level which means you don't have to warp in there etc

enclave.png.1f4a77241e5529417d9b7bf69c5768df.thumb.png.883a6d657a01c7679ab69ced56068bfc.png

Liking the look of it already, be interesting to see it in a new light.

Thor110

Thanks for sending this! using your existing resources will definitely help clear up points of confusion I have had. Looking through your modding tutorial series now to pick up anything I haven't learned yey.

• Light Side Points 1

14 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Thanks for the info! Compatibility will be a huge consideration considering the scope of this project and its potential impact on more modules than just the sublevel.

Thanks for sending this! using your existing resources will definitely help clear up points of confusion I have had. Looking through your modding tutorial series now to pick up anything I haven't learned yey.

Feel free to check out my planned NPC overhaul of the game which utilizes in-game player heads as well as custom heads and skins made by others to give more of the NPCs a unique look. The WIP thread is here. I'm not sure how to add or directly port in entire NPCs but I've been overhauling the appearance of some of them in Kotor I to resemble some NPCs and minor characters from Kotor II. On Dantooine especially, the area just outside the door to the sublevel has a female jedi NPC guarding it who I'm planning to modify and turn into Atris and then turn the two other women near her into Handmaidens to make it look like they're taking stuff from the enclave. Feel free to follow the progress here. I'd like to ensure compatibility between your mod and mine so I can support your endeavor with this. Let me know what you think

(1) NPC Overhaul for K1 - Work In Progress - Deadly Stream

14 hours ago, EAF97 said:

Revenge of Revan is a total conversion, it's even very possible they might be using that level themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like that shouldn't be the first worry / stop in the road for compatibility. ( K1R / K1CP ) is probably the first stop.

Especially if the end goal is for this to be a K1 mod, not a K2 mod. Because RoR is for K2.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Revenge of Revan is a total conversion, it's even very possible they might be using that level themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like that shouldn't be the first worry / stop in the road for compatibility. ( K1R / K1CP ) is probably the first stop.

Especially if the end goal is for this to be a K1 mod, not a K2 mod. Because RoR is for K2.

I had forgotten about the total conversion issue. I wasn't sure if this mod was k1 or k2 but either way it'd be a welcome addition

• Light Side Points 1

5 hours ago, EAF97 said:

I had forgotten about the total conversion issue. I wasn't sure if this mod was k1 or k2 but either way it'd be a welcome addition

5 hours ago, Thor110 said:

Right now the goal is a mod for both K1 and K2. With the K2 mod tailoring to building a new Order post the end of the main story and K1 being for immersion's sake, which will need to be as unobtrusive as possible so it can mesh well with K1R and the like. Reaching out to RoR team for info on what they're doing Enclave sublevel wise.

19 hours ago, EAF97 said:

Feel free to check out my planned NPC overhaul of the game which utilizes in-game player heads as well as custom heads and skins made by others to give more of the NPCs a unique look. The WIP thread is here. I'm not sure how to add or directly port in entire NPCs but I've been overhauling the appearance of some of them in Kotor I to resemble some NPCs and minor characters from Kotor II. On Dantooine especially, the area just outside the door to the sublevel has a female jedi NPC guarding it who I'm planning to modify and turn into Atris and then turn the two other women near her into Handmaidens to make it look like they're taking stuff from the enclave. Feel free to follow the progress here. I'd like to ensure compatibility between your mod and mine so I can support your endeavor with this. Let me know what you think

(1) NPC Overhaul for K1 - Work In Progress - Deadly Stream

Thanks for your support! Having these two mods play in tune with one another would definitely help both. Once I have a list of NPCs that I plan to place in the sublevel I will update you on who those are. Immediately, I can say that the Jedi you work with to investigate the murders will be making an appearance as well as the suspects involved in that case will be held within the Enclave's holding cells.

1 minute ago, brents742 said:

Right now the goal is a mod for both K1 and K2. With the K2 mod tailoring to building a new Order post the end of the main story and K1 being for immersion's sake, which will need to be as unobtrusive as possible so it can mesh well with K1R and the like. Reaching out to RoR team for info on what they're doing Enclave sublevel wise.

Do you plan on having contingencies for what characters or companions show up there based on what the player's choices were and/or who they decided to train or will it just include everyone as a jedi who had the potential? Also would it work differently if the player went dark-side?

• Light Side Points 1

2 minutes ago, EAF97 said:

Do you plan on having contingencies for what characters or companions show up there based on what the player's choices were and/or who they decided to train or will it just include everyone as a jedi who had the potential? Also would it work differently if the player went dark-side?

So the dark side option, when I get to that portion of the project, would be restoring the Sith Academy on Korriban. As far as who shows up where, the initial plan is to include all the 'canon' Lost Jedi : Atton, Brianna, Mical, and Mira(?) with Brianna and Mical playing the vital roles and Visas assisting here and there just as 'canon' says she does. If a player actively chose to ignore Atton, he would not appear in the Academy is my initial thought on this. But yes! There will be contingencies for if x happens, y must then happen in the Academy Expansion.

I've also considered restoring the Trayus Academy for neutral players but that's a distant distant idea at this point that may or may not take place.

48 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Reaching out to RoR team for info on what they're doing Enclave sublevel wise.

Given that it's a total conversion mod and not just a mod for K2, there's no reason to make it compatible. In my opinion. But perhaps they will think differently.

ITSLRCM & M478EP + perhaps other large mods should really be the focus on compatibility for K2 I think. Plus maybe a few others I could think of.

1 minute ago, Thor110 said:

Given that it's a total conversion mod and not just a mod for K2, there's no reason to make it compatible. In my opinion. But perhaps they will think differently.

ITSLRCM & M478EP + perhaps other large mods should really be the focus on compatibility for K2 I think. Plus maybe a few others I could think of.

Good point!

Here's a early look at the Enclave Holding Cells. Plan to add relevant terminals with a droid attendant and large footlockers for their belongings. Our murderous friends from K1 will enjoy their accommodations.20210913174328_1.thumb.jpg.56113872ac794e71d5b869d6e30a19ae.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brents742 said:

Here's a early look at the Enclave Holding Cells. Plan to add relevant terminals with a droid attendant and large footlockers for their belongings. Our murderous friends from K1 will enjoy their accommodations.20210913174328_1.thumb.jpg.56113872ac794e71d5b869d6e30a19ae.jpg

Looking good, how are you going about asset placement and have you considered using KLE (KotOR Level Editor) to get more accurate placement of objects? I presume you are doing things manually with the whereami armband or with KotOR Toolset.

3 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Looking good, how are you going about asset placement and have you considered using KLE (KotOR Level Editor) to get more accurate placement of objects? I presume you are doing things manually with the whereami armband or with KotOR Toolset.

I've been using the KotOR Toolset to get coordinates and then placing them via the git files. I have not run across the Level Editor before but downloading it now. Toolset has been invaluable but as I'm sure you know it is fairly limited in several areas. These force cage UTPs in particular have not been synced up yet, but normally I ensure placement is precise and in line to the smallest decimal. Hopefully Level Editor will help alleviate some of that work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brents742 said:

I've been using the KotOR Toolset to get coordinates and then placing them via the git files. I have not run across the Level Editor before but downloading it now. Toolset has been invaluable but as I'm sure you know it is fairly limited in several areas. These force cage UTPs in particular have not been synced up yet, but normally I ensure placement is precise and in line to the smallest decimal. Hopefully Level Editor will help alleviate some of that work.

Yeah it can be very tricky and tedious to place objects this way, but it can also be done quickly / roughly first this way then KLE can be used to refine them down to the tiniest detail as well as visually being able to decorate areas and get a feel for them without having to load the game up just to have a look around.

2 hours ago, Thor110 said:

Yeah it can be very tricky and tedious to place objects this way, but it can also be done quickly / roughly first this way then KLE can be used to refine them down to the tiniest detail as well as visually being able to decorate areas and get a feel for them without having to load the game up just to have a look around.

Main issue right now is finding out how to save changes to the module in KLE. Doesn't seem to be a full guide on such. It isn't finding the module file in Module Out folder.

3 hours ago, brents742 said:

Main issue right now is finding out how to save changes to the module in KLE. Doesn't seem to be a full guide on such. It isn't finding the module file in Module Out folder.

It could be that you need to make sure it has been set up right, did you set up the Aurora preferences etc? Have a little look through the KLE topic as I know others have had similar issues.

I am also not 100% sure if it properly saves every last asset in a module, I know early on it didn't and what I did was use it to save the module and then extract the .git for the new coordinates.

Hopefully that's all been ironed out, but I used it to place a few assets ages back and found it really handy.

There are also a few video tutorials on how to use it made by the lead RoR developer.

Also of note is that I am on an older version and it could be worth looking through the changes on GitHub and possibly rolling back to a specific version.

Could be worth dropping a message in the topic for it to be sure.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, Thor110 said:

Would you happen to have tutorials on how to port in NPCs and some of their lines from either Kotor 2 to Kotor 1 or vice versa to various locations and/or how to edit modules to make that happen? For my NPC overhaul mod, I was considering adding in members to the Jedi Council on Dantooine and also having a couple of the Handmaidens stand outside the door to the sub-level like they were there to gather relics for Atris. I am fairly experienced with using Kotor Tool but it only allows me to edit NPCs which were already put there by developers and I am unsure of how to add new ones in and to do so in specific locations.

Regarding Atris specifically, I was hoping to port in the Jedi Council chamber module on Coruscant and splice in some lines of hers so Revan could have a conversation with her like he did in the novel, which would take place *after* the end-scene where he asks about the Exile. 

Please let me know if you'd be interested in helping and/or giving pointers on this.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:38 AM, EAF97 said:

Would you happen to have tutorials on how to port in NPCs and some of their lines from either Kotor 2 to Kotor 1 or vice versa to various locations and/or how to edit modules to make that happen?

I thought I wrote a tutorial about that but it seems I didn't. Thanks to @Effix for helping me figure this out some time ago.

The basic process is to determine the supermodel of the original and then recompile that model using K2s supermodel instead.

Oh wait I did write one, it is covered under "Blender Tutorial 03 - Character Editing" in my tutorial series, perhaps I should rename the title or improve it. - https://deadlystream.com/topic/6886-tutorial-kotor-modding-tutorial-series/

It doesn't cover every step of the process but it should detail the basics. In-case it doesn't here is a short explanation.

What I did for this was drop the original models and their supermodels into a folder, then convert them to ASCII using MDLEdit, I then put the ASCII and the K2 supermodels into another folder in order to recompile them using K2's supermodels and then deleted the leftovers.

7 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

What I did for this was drop the original models and their supermodels into a folder, then convert them to ASCII using MDLEdit, I then put the ASCII and the K2 supermodels into another folder in order to recompile them using K2's supermodels and then deleted the leftovers.

Right I've done that numerous times, but I was wondering how to add additional NPCs into a given module and/or edit them which isn't possible in Kotor Tool which only uses files which are already coded into the game. Some mods are able to do that and add in more NPCs and so I was wondering if there was a tool available to edit custom modules and in turn the utc files in them.

I had a plan to port in the Jedi Council Room module on Coruscant from Kotor 2 and use it to have an added scene after the end where Revan meets/confronts Atris like in the Novel and asks her about the Exile.