sovietshipgirl

MOD:Larger Text Fonts for KOTOR

Larger Text Fonts for KOTOR

WARNING: 11/29/22 - It appears that the "big" font size category is causing crashes for people attempting to open certain lockboxes in the Taris Undercity. Other sizes, such as "verybig", are unaffected. I will be working to recreate and fix this issue over the weekend. For now, I recommend players either choose a size that isn't "big" or uninstall this mod until the issue is resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Have you tried playing KOTOR 1 at high resolution? Then you may have noticed the text does not scale properly. As a result, text can look  embarassingly small.

Fortunately, this mod contains an assortment of font files that the game can use. They are organized by various sizes with the 3 kinds of text the game uses; they are also interchangeable!

Using these files should give players an easier time when playing in high resolutions, customizable to everyone's needs. Hopefully everyone who wishes to play KOTOR 1 in high resolution will have a more enjoyable experience, and that one of the more common problems facing the community has been properly addressed.

The attached file is a compressed archive that contains a ReadMe file, and a folder containing each set of fonts.

READ THE README FILE BEFORE INSTALLING!

The ReadMe contains an important explanation of what each font folder is, and instructions as to how to properly install the mod.

Improper installation could lead to very unreadable text!

DISCLAIMERS:

• You will NOT be able to see small numbers, the count of grenades for example, via the HUD.

This is a problem with the game itself & how it handles larger text inside smaller HUD elements; I am unable to fix this. The game is simply too old and we don't have access to its source code (yet).

• This mod is NOT compatible with KOTOR 2 TSL.

This mod only exclusively works with KOTOR 1. If you are using the Steam or Mobile versions of KOTOR 2, you shouldn't be experiencing this problem anyways.

• As far as I know, there are no compatibility issues with other mods.

However, if you come across any problems or something not working as intended, please let me know here or via my Discord: Xela#6419

• If you are only playing the game at 1080p or less, this mod may not be necessary.

Text only stops scaling up to 1080p resolution (as far as I know). It's possible this mod will only cause issues if you play the game at less than 1080p resolution.

• These fonts were NOT my creation!

They were found and extracted from the Russian  🇷🇺  version of KOTOR which inexplicably has larger fonts with a variety of sizes, on top of being able to work in English as well. I was also not the first person to discover these files, that credit belongs to user Drazgar!

https://deadlystream.com/profile/44945-drazgar/

I do not claim these files to be my own, I simply uploaded them here to share with the community after not finding them anywhere else.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to inform you of a bug with Dialogue_Description_VeryBig and Dialogue_Description_Big, I've tested it with both. When their is 100 or more credits in a chest or on a dead corpse and you go to loot, it will crash the game. I'm currently using VeryBig on a playthrough right now and have had a number of crashes when looting. This is on a 1024x768 resolution btw, I don't think it affects 1080p or higher which is what you were going for with this mod. I'm not sure if this is fixable with the lower resolution I'm playing at, but it seems to be the only real issue I've had.

• Like 1

Hello, the special caracter are not used in the correct way(i use also the  very big version) they use W in place of ù and a strange sign at place of ì; but i think it's doing it with every complex caracter ( i use the italian version and we have a lot of special caracters) thanks anyway for the mod my eyes and my diopters thanks u ^^

Edited by DNA

The bug described by aresb (regarding the crashes occuring when there are more than 100 credits in the player's inventory) exists at higher resolutions as well, not just at 1024x768. Is there any fix for it? This mod is a godsend, but to play with it, one has to put up with frequent crashes while looting bodies & crates. You don't even need to loot anything to crash your game, just clicking on the inventory button at the top-right of the screen is enough if your character has amassed more than 100 credits.

It's so frustrating that Aspyr only updated the bug-ridden KOTOR 2 but completely ignored the first game. Most of the negative reviews on Steam are about KOTOR 1's incompatibility with modern hardware and the absense of proper widescreen support, which makes this mod absolutely essential as it rectifies that. Could experienced modders here who know their way around HEX editors help sovietshipgirl update this mod, please?

*** Update ***

I made a new install of KOTOR and added the widescreen HUD mods I hadn't installed previously:

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1159-kotor-high-resolution-menus/

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1226-hd-ui-menu-pack/

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1173-k1-main-menu-widescreen-fix/

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1457-hd-menus-and-ui-assets/

I also used the latest version of Community Patch for KOTOR 1. I'm glad to report I haven't encountered any crashes yet while playing with this mod, all fonts work correctly at 1920x1080. The only small downside is that the quantity of items in the inventory is not displayed, so there's still a room for improvement for this mod. Thank you,  sovietshipgirl, for uploading these fonts. This mod will make a fine addition to my collection.

Edited by Jabba1992
  • Thanks 1