Neville

[WIP]Recruit Sarna

Just now, Neville said:

I do  not understand the tutorials on creating a new character. Recruit mods seem focused on existing characters. Further, I really need to know how to correct lighting on new models. There should be something on how to do that. LucasForums was the only site to have related information.

Unfortunately so, hopefully somebody will write some one day but who knows. What is probably best is to just take some Blender tutorials and work it in.

2 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Unfortunately so, hopefully somebody will write some one day but who knows. What is probably best is to just take some Blender tutorials and work it in.

My first models were not for either KotOR game, but I used Blender 2.65. SithSpecter stated Blender would not work with game models.

1 minute ago, Neville said:

My first models were not for either KotOR game, but I used Blender 2.65. SithSpecter stated Blender would not work with game models.

I don't know what more to suggest, currently 2.92 and the latest version of kotorblender work well.

5 hours ago, Thor110 said:

I don't know what more to suggest, currently 2.92 and the latest version of kotorblender work well.

I will check, but I still must know how to add a character. On FileFront, other than mods by InyriForge, most recruit mods were for existing characters. There were recruit mods for Lashowe, Mekel, Sasha (Selkath), and Yuthura Ban.

Do I just add a new "Struct- Type:4 Field count: 6" and put the location information for a character template in the .git file to create a new character? Also, do I still need to add "RemoveAvailableNPC(0)"?

• Like 1

I really need more help. I do not know how to spawn a new character. That makes my project different from most other recruit mods.

Easiest way would be to spawn them via a script, rather than editing the level itself. A simple one like this would work.

void main()
{

string sTemplate = "yourguysnamehere";

float xPosition = 0.0;
	float yPosition = 0.0;
	float zPosition = 0.0;
	float fOrientation = 0.0;

vector vPosition = Vector(xPosition, yPosition, zPosition);
	location lLocation = Location(vPosition, fOrientation);

CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, sTemplate, lLocation);

}

33 minutes ago, TamerBill said:

Easiest way would be to spawn them via a script, rather than editing the level itself. A simple one like this would work.

void main()
{

string sTemplate = "yourguysnamehere";

float xPosition = 0.0;
	float yPosition = 0.0;
	float zPosition = 0.0;
	float fOrientation = 0.0;

vector vPosition = Vector(xPosition, yPosition, zPosition);
	location lLocation = Location(vPosition, fOrientation);

CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, sTemplate, lLocation);

}

I know the area on Tatooine is "tat_m17ab", but saw three parameters when using "whereami", x, y, and z. I checked the direction the Czerka guards look, value 1. Do I need to change the tag for the new character? Sarna has the tag Sarna021 as she is found in the Taris Upper City Cantina, and the location on Taris is "tar_m02ae".

You don't want the tag, but the ResRef. Sarna's is tar02_sarna021, but personally I'd make a separate copy of the utc to be the party member version.

I hope I can find the vectors. I thought, as Sarna has the COMM W F head model, texture comm_w_f01, if I changed the clothes she wears, every female character using the head model would appear with the military clothing I intend to give her.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, TamerBill said:

You don't want the tag, but the ResRef. Sarna's is tar02_sarna021, but personally I'd make a separate copy of the utc to be the party member version.

I wonder if InyriForge would mind my use of observations from Recruitable Kay:

void main()
{
float x=-11.17f;
float y=-37.85f;
float z=0.00f;
float r=1.0f;
vector vecnpc=vector(-11.17,-37.85,0.00)
location locNPC=loc(vecNPC, r);
object oNPC=CreateObject(ObjectTypeCreature,"n_Sarna",locNPC);
object oPC=GetFirstPC();
AssignCommand(oNPC,ActionMoveToObject(oPC));
AssignCommand(oNPC,ActionStartConversation(oPC,"Sarna_Recruit"))
}

On 4/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

In the tools section, I have attached ancient tutorials from LF that cover much of this.

RedHawke mods can be very informative, even if their method isn't the current best practice you can at least see what they did and how via the source scripts.

I am happy to help you, but my help will be intermittent and depends on you taking a lot of initiative.

MTFBWYA

Can you help create portrait images?

Work on my "Recruit Sarna" mod nears its completion. Sarna was the Sith officer, Taris occupation force, who did not like her job. She finds a way off Taris and offers help to the Republic. I wish someone would help in my effort to give her unique armor, reflecting that the planet she reached did not have decent Republic military supplies. I believe a retexture of the Sith uniform (I had her wear one when I was checking possible appearance) with Republic officer shoulder pads could be used. The armor she has will be very light, but I will add special properties. If anyone is interested, I can provide more detail on what may be required.

20210507170246_1.jpg

20210507163156_1.jpg

• Like 2

Can someone help create the helmet? I cannot import the War Droid model, and I am having difficulty modifying the Sith Commando helmet. Also, I really hoped someone would be able to retexture the Sith uniform.

• Dark Side Points 2

47 minutes ago, Neville said:

Can someone help create the helmet? I cannot import the War Droid model, and I am having difficulty modifying the Sith Commando helmet. Also, I really hoped someone would be able to retexture the Sith uniform.

That's a tall order. Why not start with what tool you're using to import and why it's failing. There is a usable fork for KotorBlender which now works with the newest version of Blender https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1853-kotorblender-for-blender-28/ have you tried that?

On 6/20/2021 at 3:41 AM, Malkior said:

That's a tall order. Why not start with what tool you're using to import and why it's failing. There is a usable fork for KotorBlender which now works with the newest version of Blender https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1853-kotorblender-for-blender-28/ have you tried that?

I have MDLOPS 0.6, GMax 1.2, and NWMax 0.7. I was trying to modify the Sith Commando helmet. I managed to import it, pull it from the full-body armor, apply a Republic texture, and I have been trying to remove the full-face visor. I hoped to remove more of the front and integrate a retextured version of the Verpine Headband.  I planned to attach the model to the head model of a character, but whenever I try to export textured models with GMax, I get an error message about "Skin Detected". NWMax states "Unable to execute mass export", and changing name of the Aurora Base causes problems. What I was asking for was a model of the War Droid. I thought I might be able to modify the head to create a helmet, but I got an error message "unable to convert: undefined to type: float". I have used Blender 2.65, but I have never applied textures to a model in Blender. SithSpecter told me Blender would not support game models.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, Neville said:

I have MDLOPS 0.6, GMax 1.2, and NWMax 0.7. I was trying to modify the Sith Commando helmet. I managed to import it, pull it from the full-body armor, apply a Republic texture, and I have been trying to remove the full-face visor. I hoped to remove more of the front and integrate a retextured version of the Verpine Headband.  I planned to attach the model to the head model of a character, but whenever I try to export textured models with GMax, I get an error message about "Skin Detected". NWMax states "Unable to execute mass export", and changing name of the Aurora Base causes problems. What I was asking for was a model of the War Droid. I thought I might be able to modify the head to create a helmet, but I got an error message "unable to convert: undefined to type: float". I have used Blender 2.65, but I have never applied textures to a model in Blender. SithSpecter told me Blender would not support game models.

I think there was a post saying that Kotormax is the new version of Nwmax. It might have what you need. https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1151-kotormax/

Alternatively, I haven't had any problems with KotorBlender importing game models, but if they don't work for you, you might be able to get answers from their mod tool page. Having a Blender model transfer tool being unable to import game models into Blender makes no sense..

I had to change tags, modify script, and remove some script to test Sarna. I found another problem. I am attempting to fix other problems, but the cutscene of Bastila being tortured by Darth Malak played when you set the Ebon Hawk to go to the Star Forge will not play. I get a black screen with a cursor, and nothing responds. I think this could be due to my intent of having Sarna as a soldier to help after Bastila is captured aboard the Leviathan. Is there a way to fix this?

3 hours ago, Neville said:

I had to change tags, modify script, and remove some script to test Sarna. I found another problem. I am attempting to fix other problems, but the cutscene of Bastila being tortured by Darth Malak played when you set the Ebon Hawk to go to the Star Forge will not play. I get a black screen with a cursor, and nothing responds. I think this could be due to my intent of having Sarna as a soldier to help after Bastila is captured aboard the Leviathan. Is there a way to fix this?

I had this issue when my Bastila UTC was conflicting with another one. Try saving when you get to the black screen and then loading to see what's breaking the cutscene.

This is from my attempts to create a helmet for Sarna. I tried to modify the helmet from regular Sith Armor, but the neck was too large to delete separately. This was pulled from the Sith Commando, seen in TSL. Unfortunately, removing this from the original model removed part of the geometry for the helmet. I checked the fit over the head model used for Sarna. It becomes hard to tell what vertices to move to be able to attach a new visor. Further, If I cannot eliminate clipping issues, it might be best to modify the head model and directly attach the helmet, making this part of a head model.

475594839_RAHelmet.thumb.jpg.c7bab912b6659b4323b58e7931f88c3d.jpg

6 hours ago, Malkior said:

I had this issue when my Bastila UTC was conflicting with another one. Try saving when you get to the black screen and then loading to see what's breaking the cutscene.

When I save, the game will not load.

1 hour ago, Neville said:

When I save, the game will not load.

Alright. Well, in any case, I don't know beyond that what is causing your issue. Deleting the offending UTCs fixed it for me, but since you're using a custom UTC for your mod to function, you can't exactly do that.

You may need to seek out experts on your particular issue.. (That is, the blackscreen when going past the Leviathan cutscene).

2 minutes ago, Malkior said:

Alright. Well, in any case, I don't know beyond that what is causing your issue. Deleting the offending UTCs fixed it for me, but since you're using a custom UTC for your mod to function, you can't exactly do that.

You may need to seek out experts on your particular issue.. (That is, the blackscreen when going past the Leviathan cutscene).

Can you direct me to any of these "experts"?

• Dark Side Points 1

12 hours ago, Neville said:

I am attempting to fix other problems, but the cutscene of Bastila being tortured by Darth Malak played when you set the Ebon Hawk to go to the Star Forge will not play. I get a black screen with a cursor, and nothing responds. 

I'm not an expert, but, supposedly, the scene breaks when the script or the dialogue refers to Bastila. Find starting script and dialogue inside module STUNT_18 (Bastila's torture, if I remember right).

Try to change Speaker's name for first Bastila's line to Sarna in the dialogue for testing purpose. But I think, it won't help, and the problem lies in script.

Update: Does it work when you remove Sarna UTC before the scene?

3 minutes ago, LoneWanderer said:

I'm not an expert, but, supposedly, the scene breaks when the script or the dialogue refers to Bastila. Find starting script and dialogue inside module STUNT_18 (Bastila's torture, if I remember right).

Try to change Speaker's name for first Bastila's line to Sarna in the dialogue to test dialogue. But I think, it won't help, and the problem lies in script.

Do I need to change tag or string template resref?

21 minutes ago, Neville said:

Do I need to change tag or string template resref?

In the 'Bastila's torture' script? Probably, tag that refers to Bastila. I don't have access to KOTOR 1 scripts, therefore I'm not sure.

But now, I think, it is possible that something is messed up in Sarna UTC. You don't have any Bastila mods in your Override, right?

Try removing Sarna UTC before the scene.