Sign in to follow this  
TK-664

MOD:NPC Alignment Fix

NPC Alignment Fix

This modification alters the alignment of various npcs to match their allegiance and characteristics, since in KotOR BioWare left everything neutrally aligned with few exceptions. Through this, "vs. alignment group" properties now have more opportunities to take effect as they should.

Unlike in the sequel there's no Force Sight so I didn't get too fancy - it's mostly just set values all across the board to ensure everyone is firmly sitting in their respective sides. No longer will the game regard Darth Bandon as this misunderstood Grey individual, but instead as the smug good-for-nothing slimebag we all know him to be.

What will this change, really?

In terms of combat, the Solari crystal will work fully against every Dark Jedi (and more) you come across. Of course they now have a different fp usage dynamic as you would expect so it more or less balances itself out.

What if I'm Dark-Sided?

The Mantle of the Force crystal can remove your lightsaber's light-side restrictions. Also don't forget, mods that add items with bonuses versus alignments will benefit from these changes too, so you don't need to limit yourself only to what exists in the base game!

Compatibility...

As long as you install this mod last there really shouldn't be any issues other than different mods hard overwriting my changes, in which case they will take no effect, but nothing too serious. Due to the number of files this mod entails, it is very likely that any other mods that edit .utc files via override will coincide with the ones my modification references.

Credits:

Fred Tetra for Kotor Tool.

stoffe for TSLPatcher and ERFEdit, updated by Fair Strides.

The Deadlystream community for being an all-around helpful bunch.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/05/2021
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes

• Like 1

Hello, @TK-664!

I commend you for this nice little modification of yours. I feel like it is a really good addition to the game and a must-have.

A suggestion for your next version: wouldn't it be good to extend this to the Party Members as well? Those that are going to fight or may end up fighting against the Protagonist: Dark Bastila, Jolee, Zaalbar and Juhani.

There would be also some Taris NPC (Selven, the Assassin comes first to mind but also the Dark Jedi at the Sith Base) but I guess you have intentionally left them out because the Protagonist has not yet acquired a Jedi class there yet.

Cheers!

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I considered Taris first things first but then I didn't do it for the reason you mentioned, of course it occured to me afterwards that you might use mods like "Jedi from the start" and KSE but at that point I was pretty much done with it. This mod was quite literally a handful because I had to check everything by hand and make sure there were no typos, misplacings and other sorts of issues so I kinda forgot Taris in the end 😛

I do intend on going back and including it if for no other reason than the Hidden Beks being a much needed "vs. Light Side" opportunity since they're so scarce. Not that it would make a difference for most players though. There's also some utcs still missing and others that don't need to be included (cutscenes, cut content), I tried to be as thorough as I could but those aren't immediatly obvious to spot.

About the party members, they're accounted for in vanilla except for Bastila at the Star Forge which I ignored on purpose because she's so easy to beat already.

Hello!

I have been looking through the .ini file and I noticed that it seems you decided to leave out non-Jedi Sith from your adjustments. Is it so? And if that is the case, could you tell me why generic Sith soldiers should keep the original neutral (50) alignment?

And one more question: I noticed you changed the alignment for Ajunta Pall too but the game seems to have deliberately decided to give him a Good alignment and that fits with his story. Perhaps it was best left alone?

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Salk said:

Hello!

I have been looking through the .ini file and I noticed that it seems you decided to leave out non-Jedi Sith from your adjustments.

Hey Salk! I might have overlooked something, which ones are you refering to?

6 hours ago, Salk said:

could you tell me why generic Sith soldiers should keep the original neutral (50) alignment?

Besides not wanting to trivialize already easy regular trooper encounters, I myself just don't consider the average army mook to be an inherent bad guy no more than I'd consider a random republic soldier to be a good guy on the DS/LS scale.

6 hours ago, Salk said:

And one more question: I noticed you changed the alignment for Ajunta Pall too but the game seems to have deliberately decided to give him a Good alignment and that fits with his story. Perhaps it was best left alone?

Checked again, they left him neutral like almost everything else. I figured if you get to the point where you fight him then obviously the dialogue to complete his redemption never took place.

Hello, TK-664!

9 hours ago, TK-664 said:

Hey Salk! I might have overlooked something, which ones are you refering to?

Oh I was just talking about non-Jedi and you answered already in your post saying that you aren't interested in changing the alignment of Sith troopers and patrols.

9 hours ago, TK-664 said:

I must have a modified Ajunta Pall .utc in my game since his alignment is 60 there.

Cheers!

PS - I noticed that you left The One's alignment untouched as well. Perhaps that one could be brought down to 25?

4 hours ago, Salk said:

I noticed that you left The One's alignment untouched as well. Perhaps that one could be brought down to 25?

Noted. I'll do it when I muster the energy to comb through the first two planets lol.