Obi Wan Pere

Help with textures using GIMP

Hi guys

I'm trying to convert a NPC texture to a holo aspect in KotOR 1.

I've downloaded a free version of GIMP (v2.10) but I never used it before and even following this tutorial: http://lucasforumsarchive.com/thread/209758 I get nothing not even acceptable. I'm not sure if I misunderstanding the instructions or what I'm doing wrong. The only one weird thing I've found is that the tut talks about Transparency degree to apply to the layers and in my GIMP version just there is an Opacity slider that I think could be related.

Could someone lead me step by step for do it?

Aside, when I created the NPC I gave it a new and unique Tag and TempleteResRef name but using this name in the texture it doesn't work, it just works if I use the original texture name with the new texture file. As to use the new texture I have to place it in the Override folder, the NPC always would use this texture along the game and I want use it just in a new Module I'm working on.

I don't know but I guess I have to edit the 'appearance.2da' file and add the new texture. Anyone can confirm that? And, editing the .2da, just need I to copy (and paste it as a new one) the row of the original texture, change its label field to my texture name and, of course, the number of the row? I've read some tutorials but, or I missed things or I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I don't like to play with the .2da files, above all if I'm not sure what I'm doing and what can be broken later on in game, so, anyone can guide me in this task as well?

Thanks in advance

Opacity is the other side of transparent (100% opaque = 0% transparent and 100% transparent = 0% opaque) so yeah, that's the same thing. This may have been renamed in some version of GIMP.

Not sure what you want to do, if you want to retexture an NPC then you don't need to mess with .uti and .2da files, you simply overwrite the existing texture the game uses.
Let's say you want to give an NPC another 3D model, then you do need to change its .2da row.
You can make a backup of the appearance.2da that you currently have and then just experiment.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Effix said:

Opacity is the other side of transparent (100% opaque = 0% transparent and 100% transparent = 0% opaque) so yeah, that's the same thing. This may have been renamed in some version of GIMP.

Yeah, that is why I said could be related. Thinking about, maybe I have to invert the values given in the tut, where says e.g. 70% of Transparency, in my GIMP version could be 30% of Opacity. I'll try with that.

15 minutes ago, Effix said:

Not sure what you want to do, if you want to retexture an NPC then you don't need to mess with .uti and .2da files, you simply overwrite the existing texture the game uses.
Let's say you want to give an NPC another 3D model, then you do need to change its .2da row.

I'm working in a new Module where will appear this NPC and I'd  need apply to it the Hologram aspect, so I need retexture it, isn't it? but if I just place the new texture file in the Override folder the NPC always will use the Holo texture along the game. For avoid the NPC use always this texture I created the NPC with its own unique Tag and Template, as a complete new NPC with its own appearence, this is why I thought I have to add the new texture to the appearence.2da file. Maybe I'm wrong. It's the first time I do something like that.

(Mmm... I don't know if exists the "Holo" Effect that could be applied via script).

--------------

I already had seen this video days ago, before start to try with the GIMP and the Holo texture. I'll check it again.

About the backups, sometimes I have to add a number for to have multiple backups of the same file if I'm working on it...:innocent:  The problem is not that, it's if I could broke something in the file unnoticed and keep (and think) that the file is ok and find onward problems without to know where they come from.

Tell me I'm too much careful but if I'd have to pilot an airplane, I can make mistakes with the angle of the flaps but I'd preffer to know before that I need extract the landing gear instead landing without it ...just for to learn I was needing it. :lol:

Yeah, I get what you're saying in the last bit. You can make a backup every day and not know that you possibly messed something up days ago. But, you learn from experimenting and from making mistakes.

The holo effect is just that, an effect, a filter that gets added to a character with a normal texture. I think another texture gets added on top of the normal one, plus transparency for the whole 3D model (that's why you get weird things like seeing eyeballs inside the model). But I'm not really sure how you would get that working with a new character.

You do need a new line in appearance.2da if you want to add a completely new NPC and a new row in heads.2da to go along with that if you're not reusing an existing head.

@Effix

I've made a search in the Source .nss looking for "Holo" if it could exist as Effect "as is" but just found references about Bastila's Holocron. Looking for "Transparency" I've found nothing. I don't know if KotOR uses this Effect (e.g. with Bastila's Holo aspect) or how it's masked/got with other effect(s).

My knowledge about scripting is very limited but is possible add an Effect to a NPC via Script.

---------------------------

The NPC is wearing its own mask and hood by default. In that case, I still need add a head in the 'head.2da' file? I guess no but I'm not sure.

Rewind/remind:
- For get the "new" NPC I need add a line in the 'appearence.2da' file.
- As I just want to get a new aspect of an existing NPC,
     1- I can copy the entire Row of that NPC,
     2- Paste the Row as a new one and change the Row Label number (e.g. if the total is 511, set the new Row Label as 512)(I don't know how say in english "add 1 to the total" but the idea is here)
     3- And now the doubt, what field(s) have I to change to the new name? just the Label?

In KotOR 2 you have this option below, it's not a thing in K1 (this .utc is a character/creature file):

rINwkMc.jpg

Some NPCs just have one full 3D model, others are more like the player and party characters. Those you can simply equip with things the player would also be able to wear, like a mask:

Wb3phg3.jpeg

Yes, you add a new line to appearance.2da if you want to make the NPC have a new look, copy+paste an existing row there, raise the Row label (first column) with one and make the label (second column) unique. What you want to change besides that is up to you, for example a new model and/or texture for the default clothing.

Another thing that's good to know, most textures get "01" added to what you see in appearance.2da, for example male player clothing, in appearance.2da you see "N_CommM" -> texture filename is "N_CommM01".

I'm having a lot of problems. :wallbash:

Adding the new Row doesn't work, the NPC appears with the appearance of a Jedi Twilek. The Row label, raised 1, has to be 512 so the total is 513. All that makes me thing if is there a limit of Rows in the 'appearance.2da' as there is a limit in 'Placeables.2da' file.

From here and just for test I'm using the original Row for changes. There are 4 columns/fields with the original name:
- label
- race
- modela
- texa

('race', 'modela' and 'texa' has the same name, label has a different name)

If I just change to the new name the 'label' it doesn't work (NPC appears with its original aspect).
If I change 'label' and 'texa' (or 'label' and 'modela', or 'label', 'texa' and 'modela'), same thing, original aspect.
If with any combination I change 'race' I get CTD.

Attach your files and I'll have a look.

If there's even a row limit, you won't hit it any time soon. I've added dozens.

Ok. I send them you via PM

1 hour ago, Effix said:

If there's even a row limit, you won't hit it any time soon. I've added dozens.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbup:

--------------------------

I think I know what happened with the Twilek Jedi aspect. Adding the new Row, really wasn't placed the last of the .2da file. I don't know why but Kotor Tool doesn't let me paste nothing as a new line if before I havent' inserted one (new, empty) ...but doesn't let me insert at the end (as last Row), I've to insert in the space of an existing Row. So the new line inserted it's not the last. It's the penultimate. I thought the number was enough but seems that the order of the lines is important too.

I say because I've had to reedit the file for send it but I've let the new Row just below the original one. Ehmmm... just say that I've found Selkath with Lightsabers that I hadn't placed there...

Anyway, with the new Row placed the last, the NPC stays with its original aspect. :(