Hey guys!

I'm brand new to modding. As in "first day of pre-school" new. I downloaded some modding tools from here and started playing around with them, primarily KotOR Tool. I've even made some tiny mods for TSL that actually work in the game.

Where I'm seeking help is with quests that end with rewards or loot. For example - on Dantooine, when you alter the will of the dead salvager and turn it in to Zherron, you're rewarded some random items. How would I go about modifying what items a quest like that rewards the player? Is it a scripting issue? Is there a specific file I need to track down? I'd appreciate any advice or even a link if this has been covered somewhere else on the forum.

Thanks!

Edited by StarSpangledAvenger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StarSpangledAvenger said:

Hey guys!

I'm brand new to modding. As in "first day of pre-school" new. I downloaded some modding tools from here and started playing around with them, primarily KotOR Tool. I've even made some tiny mods for TSL that actually work in the game.

Where I'm seeking help is with quests that end with rewards or loot. For example - on Dantooine, when you alter the will of the dead salvager and turn it in to Zherron, you're rewarded some random items. How would I go about modifying what items a quest like that rewards the player? Is it a scripting issue? Is there a specific file I need to track down? I'd appreciate any advice or even a link if this has been covered somewhere else on the forum.

Thanks!

Depending on where the loot is coming from, be it a character or a placeable or even a script, they will be referenced within the associated files.

I would suggest K-GFF Editor and ERFEdit to help achieve this.

Use ERFEdit to open the relevant level's .mod or .rim files.

You can also use KotOR Toolset for a quick overview of the map to help you track down the item visually.

From there you will need to edit the .utc (character) or .utp (placeable) and their inventory, alternatively if it is controlled by a script you will likely need to use DeNCS to decompile it and then KotOR Scripting Tool to recompile it after editing.

Thor110

P.S https://deadlystream.com/topic/6886-tutorial-kotor-modding-tutorial-series/

• Light Side Points 1

16 hours ago, Thor110 said:

Depending on where the loot is coming from, be it a character or a placeable or even a script, they will be referenced within the associated files.

I would suggest K-GFF Editor and ERFEdit to help achieve this.

Use ERFEdit to open the relevant level's .mod or .rim files.

You can also use KotOR Toolset for a quick overview of the map to help you track down the item visually.

From there you will need to edit the .utc (character) or .utp (placeable) and their inventory, alternatively if it is controlled by a script you will likely need to use DeNCS to decompile it and then KotOR Scripting Tool to recompile it after editing.

Thor110

P.S https://deadlystream.com/topic/6886-tutorial-kotor-modding-tutorial-series/

Thanks for the info! I've used K-GFF a few times to edit .utp and .uti files. Looks like I'll be downloading those other tools as well.  I appreciate the link. There's a lot to dive into over there. Some of the stuff covers exactly what I'm wanting to try, like adding a Merchant and placeables to a module. I'll probably be back on the site begging for help, though. Fingers crossed until then.

Thanks again!

• Like 1