Ausanan

Jolee Invisible then CTD

So I've come across a strange bug. I'm on Kashyyyk and have gotten to the Shadowlands where you meet Jolee. But for some reason he is completely invisible, then when he starts talking to you, he'll get through 1 or 2 sentences and the game will the CTD. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I tried uninstalling any mods that alter his appearance, but no luck. Anyone ever run into anything similar to this?

Usually this sort of issue is caused by appearance.2da specifying a model that doesn't exist. But typically the game will crash as soon as it tries to render the model, which in Jolee's case should happen as soon as the cutscene of him fighting the Katarns starts. Is this where it is happening? Upload a copy of the appearance.2da from your Override folder.

20 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Usually this sort of issue is caused by appearance.2da specifying a model that doesn't exist. But typically the game will crash as soon as it tries to render the model, which in Jolee's case should happen as soon as the cutscene of him fighting the Katarns starts. Is this where it is happening? Upload a copy of the appearance.2da from your Override folder.

So in this case, it is not crashing as soon as the scene with him fighting the Katarns starts. That scene is playing out just fine, though his model doesn't appear and he is just completely invisible. It crashes once he starts to talk to you. But not right away, rather he gets through probably 1-2  sentences, then it crashes. Here's the appearance.2da

appearance.2da

2 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Looks like the only change in your 2DA vs the vanilla one is for Mekel's appearance row, so it isn't that. Check your Override for the presence of P_JoleeBB.mdl/mdx. And list the mods you are using.

I've got so many mods downloaded but I honestly couldn't tell you exactly all of the ones that are currently installed. As half of them are mods from my last playthrough a few years ago. Though I checked my override folder. There are a few files that sare named P_JoleeBB but none of them are that file with either an mdl or mdx at the end. Maybe that's the cause?

Having random mods installed without even knowing what they are is a recipe for exactly this sort of thing. You should always start a new game from a clean install.

That said, presumably what you are specifically referring to for Jolee are textures, assuming they are TGA/TXI/TPC. They shouldn't cause a crash (or turn him invisible), at least in theory, but try removing them from the Override and see what happens.

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

Having random mods installed without even knowing what they are is a recipe for exactly this sort of thing. You should always start a new game from a clean install.

That said, presumably what you are specifically referring to for Jolee are textures, assuming they are TGA/TXI/TPC. They shouldn't cause a crash (or turn him invisible), at least in theory, but try removing them from the Override and see what happens.

I know, however som of the mods I already had installed, such as retextures with animations I remember being a bit complicated to install. So I didn't want to have to reinstall from fresh again. I'll give that a try though.

16 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Alright So I tried removing those files, nothing. So then I tried reverting the appearance.2da to the one I used before installing the Mekel companion mod, which seems to of fixed the issue. Guess I just can't have Mekel as a companion. 

12 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Well that possibly explains it if you hard overwrote appearance.2da, although it should have just fallen back to the vanilla Jolee model. Attach a copy of the restored appearance.2da.

appearance.2da

Ok well that is a massively modified appearance.2da, so outright replacing it was going to cause multiple breakages somewhere. I'm not entirely sure why Jolee was affected though, since the only difference to his row was Bandon robes in the Revan robes slot. But it seems you are using K1 Restoration, and I know other people have had crashes during that scene because of changes it made. I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter further issues later on.

3 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Ok well that is a massively modified appearance.2da, so outright replacing it was going to cause multiple breakages somewhere. I'm not entirely sure why Jolee was affected though, since the only difference to his row was Bandon robes in the Revan robes slot. But it seems you are using K1 Restoration, and I know other people have had crashes during that scene because of changes it made. I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter further issues later on.

Yeah I have already encountered a few things, bit they didn't really seem to bother me. Such as the Vulkar sub base not making an appearance, or there being no audio when you speak to companions and ask them about the other companions. However that last issue I've always thought to simply be because there was no voice acting and you have to just read.