Ausanan

Another stolen steam workshop mod?

Again, I was checking out the mods here on DS and I recognised a mod I saw on the KotOR 2 steam workshop. I believe it may be a stolen reupload. The uploader seems to be different on each site, and the original DS version is a KotOR 1 mod, while workshop is KotOR 2, even the screenshots are the same for each upload. The original uploader here on DS specifically say NO REUPLOADS without permission.  Here is a link to the original here on DS and the reupload on steam.  

DS: Two Colored Lightsaber - Double Bladed - Mods - Deadly Stream

Steam Workshop: Steam Workshop::Chaos Lightsaber (steamcommunity.com)

713618623_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.9c4fe4660341cfc284e9ce2063c8bc17.png

Just now, DarthParametric said:

Yes, lots of mods on the Workshop are stolen by retards/assholes and reuploaded there without permission. There's an existing thread about it from about a year ago.

Right, I'll ask the steam uploader to remove the mod. If they don't or don't reply within a reasonable amount of time I will contact the original uploader.

2 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

There's little point. Pretty much all of them have already been told, and Valve doesn't care.

Right, well I've already done it. So we'll see what happens. Pretty disgraceful if valve doesn't care. It goes against their T&C I'm certain.

Something I noticed recently that is along similar lines to this, is that Twitch streamers regularly send around pre-built installations of the game that include various mods, but again I doubt all that much can be done to prevent people doing this.

17 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Something I noticed recently that is along similar lines to this, is that Twitch streamers regularly send around pre-built installations of the game that include various mods, but again I doubt all that much can be done to prevent people doing this.

Prebuilt installations? As in, the full game with the mods already installed? If so, not only is that theft of the mod authors work, but that would be piracy of the game right?

46 minutes ago, Ausanan said:

Prebuilt installations? As in, the full game with the mods already installed? If so, not only is that theft of the mod authors work, but that would be piracy of the game right?

Yes, that is basically what I witnessed on a live stream I watched the other day. Some use pre-built install folders such as many here set up for themselves, but instead of keeping it for themselves they share them around Twitch, but the one I watched the other day literally downloaded someone elses SWKotOR2 installation folder that had been uploaded in it's entirety to their google drive.

Note : Considering they own the game and can prove it, it isn't technically piracy, same as it is perfectly legal to download a rom if you own an original copy of the game.

Edited by Thor110

1 minute ago, Thor110 said:

Yes, that is basically what I witnessed on a live stream I watched the other day. Some use pre-built install folders such as many here set up for themselves and share them around Twitch, but the one I watched the other day literally downloaded someone elses SWKotOR2 installation folder that had been uploaded in it's entirety to their google drive.

That's straight up piracy. Was it reported and if so, did twitch ban the person who did that?

1 minute ago, Ausanan said:

That's straight up piracy. Was it reported and if so, did twitch ban the person who did that?

I added a note to my previous post, I personally wasn't sure whether or not to report it, technically between two people that own the game it is not piracy.

But it does prevent websites getting accurate download numbers for mods, as well as that the users that prepare the packages more than likely get hailed with likes, follows, views and credit.

It seemed like a regular occurrence though I have only been on twitch a few weeks I have seen it a fair few times now while passing through kotor 1 & 2 streams.

The majority of users over there either use the Steam Workshop ( which as we all know is a complete mess ) some use the reddit build guide, some have never heard of mods for the game and some share their installations or pre-built packages that contain the mods.

2 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

I added a note to my previous post, I personally wasn't sure whether or not to report it, technically between two people that own the game it is not piracy.

But it does prevent websites getting accurate download numbers for mods, as well as that the users that prepare the packages more than likely get hailed with likes, follows, views and credit.

It seemed like a regular occurrence though I have only been on twitch a few weeks I have seen it a fair few times now while passing through kotor 1 & 2 streams.

The majority of users over there either use the Steam Workshop ( which as we all know is a complete mess ) some use the reddit build guide, some have never heard of mods for the game and some share their installations or pre-built packages that contain the mods.

Right, I see what you're saying. I suppose in that case it's not piracy, but still it is a selfish thing to do. And I know what you mean about the workshop. Before I gave up on the workshop I did find a way to make workshop mods compatible with non workshop mods. But way too much of a hassle and took up extra storage space.

1 minute ago, Ausanan said:

Right, I see what you're saying. I suppose in that case it's not piracy, but still it is a selfish thing to do. And I know what you mean about the workshop. Before I gave up on the workshop I did find a way to make workshop mods compatible with non workshop mods. But way too much of a hassle and took up extra storage space.

It certainly is, though in this one case ironically and hilariously their installation broke and didn't work and they ended up following the reddit build guide from scratch over the next few days.

But I am sure that is not always the case.

1 minute ago, Thor110 said:

It certainly is, though in this one case ironically and hilariously their installation broke and didn't work and they ended up following the reddit build guide from scratch over the next few days.

But I am sure that is not always the case.

ironic.thumb.jpg.5ad5721032684a5d52c386c2ddf05da8.jpg

• Haha 1

Hold your horses, this might be the same person, not everyone uses the same nickname on different platforms.
We did guide The Frozen One on how to convert the K1 mod to K2.

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in here. I left Ausanan a PM letting them know it's me. In the original mod I had given Effix credit for importing the models, but neglected to do it this time. I will update the Steam description, but just letting everyone know that "Blimp Ninja" is me lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Effix said:

not everyone uses the same nickname on different platforms

That is no doubt true, but there are known thieves on there. "2CRI" for example. Anything of mine you see there is outright stolen, not authorised by me.

8 hours ago, Effix said:

Hold your horses, this might be the same person, not everyone uses the same nickname on different platforms.
We did guide The Frozen One on how to convert the K1 mod to K2.

7 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

That is no doubt true, but there are known thieves on there. "2CRI" for example. Anything of mine you see there is outright stolen, not authorised by me.

Yep, I read the PM The Frozen One sent me so all good. I did think the mod was stolen, but its been confirmed its not. So all good.

• Like 1