Sith Holocron

Thinking of updating a texture mod I made [WIP / Open Beta]

If you've used my Animated Cantina Sign for KotOR 1 (and actually liked it), this might be of interest to you. 

I was thinking of expanding the texture to feature more frames - to allow the color to blend with each other a bit better.  That means more frames.  The original texture had 4 frame.  This new beta version has 43 frames. Wanna take it out for a spin?  Well, here's my open beta of the darn thing.  (See attached.)

If you are willing to test it, please report on the following:

• The speed: Should it be faster or slower?  If you are more knowledgeable about TXIs and can pinpoint your favorite speed, feel to state it when you reply.
  • Any negative effects in the cantina.  Is this large TGA causing issues when you visit the cantinas that the texture appears in?  Note any slow down that you may see occur. If no ill effects occur, note that too.

Enjoy . . . hopefully!

PS: Please note that I have no advice on how this would work for mobile versions of Knights of the Old Republic.

SH_AnimatedCantinaSign_Beta.7z

Looks good so far, but the timing is a little inconsistent. These small ones are nearly perfect but may be a bit fast.

20210111234358_1.jpg

The middle pillar

20210111234407_1.jpg

, however is significantly slower in comparison, to the point that I actually thought its texture was frozen.

The top section 

20210111234425_1.jpg

is quite slow as well, but not to quite as much of a degree. 

My suggestion would be to synchronize the smaller one with the central pillar and top section better, or to at least speed up the top section and central pillar. I can't find a good FPS for the TXI file, since they all operate off of one TXI. (And it's set to 1FPS)

Also I just read your tag. Why did you want to use 43 frames in particular?

Sorry about that. I blame the lack of sleep. I tested it and it looks best at 14 Frames per second. Any faster and the transition to blue is too jarring.

I also figure that the reason the lights are out of sync is because the smaller lights flicker.. (I did think it strange that the D Lights were somehow matching your animation.)

• Thanks 1

Hello!

I really enjoyed your Animated Cantina Signs for K1, SH. I was glad to test this new version.

In short, I like better the cycling in the new version, certainly due to the increased number of frames used. It does make the animation much smoother and natural.

Said that, I like much more how the original signs looked, even chromatically.

The speed seems to be fine in the newer version while I always felt it was a bit too fast in the original version.

I guess that ideally, in my opinion, we should have more frames and slower speed for the original signs to make for the perfect improvement.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Hello, @Sith Holocron!

I'm no expert but I believe the higher number of frames makes for a smoother transition of colors so I don't think you should limit it to 14 although there is perhaps a reason for it I don't understand. The 100+ frames in your latest WIP seems to me even better.

Again, my personal preference is for the signs style you went for in the first version of your modification and would be thrilled to see the increased frames count applied to them.

Oh and to answer your question, I didn't have any slow down at all when using the new version. I realize I may be actually not using your version of the Animated Cantina Signs hence the very big different in style. I will have to check who authored the one I have in my Override.

Cheers!

21 minutes ago, Salk said:

Hello, @Sith Holocron!

I'm no expert but I believe the higher number of frames makes for a smoother transition of colors so I don't think you should limit it to 14 although there is perhaps a reason for it I don't understand. The 100+ frames in your latest WIP seems to me even better.

Again, my personal preference is for the signs style you went for in the first version of your modification and would be thrilled to see the increased frames count applied to them.

Oh and to answer your question, I didn't have any slow down at all when using the new version. I realize I may be actually not using your version of the Animated Cantina Signs hence the very big different in style. I will have to check who authored the one I have in my Override.

Cheers!

Hopefully there's no misunderstanding. I meant the playback speed of 14 frames per second. That makes it play faster depending on how many frames created.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:12 AM, Sith Holocron said:

Also how many frames would you recommend?

Edit: For example, this is 104 frames.

fg8vtUn.gif

I like the smooth color transition here! Keep up the good work!

About the frames, as smooth as it looks, i wouldnt recommend 104 frames since you have to keep an eye on performance.

You may check out if 36 frames are enough but i wouldnt go higher than 49.

50 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

You may check out if 36 frames are enough but i wouldnt go higher than 49.

Read first post.

1 hour ago, Sith Holocron said:

Read first post.

Ah, im on the smartphone & somehow missed that, sorry.

But its good to see that youre using an automated process now to generate animations instead of stitching them together manually.

• Like 1