Sign in to follow this  
Salk

Star Forge/Darth Revan's Robes

Should I limit the production of the Star Forge/Darth Raven's Robe to a single unit?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should I limit the production of the Star Forge/Darth Raven's Robe to a single unit?

Hello!

I am finally coming to the last part of my playthrough and I have just completed Deck 2 of the Star Forge.

I wanted to ask your opinion about the Star Forge/Darth Revan's Robe availability. It rubs me the wrong way that the Player has the opportunity to produce more than one sample of the most powerful robe in the game. It irks me especially when the Darth Raven's Robe is produced which feels like it should be truly unique.

I have my opinion but perhaps I am overlooking something and I'd like to hear arguments against it that might be convincing enough to stay this planned change for my upcoming modification.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Salk said:

I wanted to ask your opinion about the Star Forge/Darth Revan's Robe availability. It rubs me the wrong way that the Player has the opportunity to produce more than one sample of the most powerful robe in the game. It irks me especially when the Darth Raven's Robe is produced which feels like it should be truly unique.

The Star Forge is a factory, so there is technically nothing wrong with producing multiple items of the same design. Moreover, it would be strange if a factory could not produce several products of a known design from the same parts.

What may seem wrong is the name of Darth Revan's Robe. The one unique Star Forge robe that Revan once wore and may have modified for himself, was destroyed by Jedi Council. The new ones are just similar mass-produced darkside Star Forge Robes.

But since the description of lightside Star Forge Robe mentions that “these robes were customised using an analysis of the Jedi they were created for”, I suppose that means, all robes created for Revan, would not be the same if they were created for other people. Hence, “the Darth Revan's Robe” will simply mean clothing designed with the physiology of Darth Revan in mind.

• Like 2

Hello, LoneWanderer.

Thanks for your input. I find I sympathize with the introduction. The Star Forge is indeed a factory and in the case we are examining, it requires computer spikes (for some reasons) as "ingredients" to fabricate the items it produces.

But there is something else I find inconsistent. Following your logic, as long as there are spikes available the Player should be able to produce unlimited number of robes. Bioware has settled for three, presumably due to the fact that the max party size is three.

But that was a real clumsy implementation. What they decided to do was to have three different "access points" to the same computer and made sure that each point can produce only one robe. 

That's quite ludicrous and it doesn't really sit well with me. 

So we have two inconsistencies: the first one is with the Star Forge limiting the production of robes to three. And the second would be with limiting the production of such robes to only one.

I would rather go for the latter because by going that way, we could preserve the uniqueness of the item. I do realize they are supposed to be "mass produced" according to some input design but in the game the item should be unique even to justify the fact that Malak didn't start mass producing such robes for his own use.

Admittedly, there is not an ideal solution that comes to my mind but for the moment, I removed the two spurious additional access points to the Star Forge computer so that the Player is given the choice of producing a customized robe only once.

Cheers!

You seem to posting a lot of questions lately. Presumably these with a mind for an eventual release?  Just wondering if you'll offering to include these additions as part of the K1CP (or the K2CP for those things related to TSL).  (I certainly hope so.)

I have offered everything that I have ever produced for K1 CP inclusion if there was the slightest possibility it could be pertinent community patch material.

Most things are tweaks and not fixes though and they will be part of SW: KotOR Upgrade, scheduled for a 2021 release.

The "Darth Revan's Robes" are Darth Revan's Robes in the sense that they're an exacting replica of the robes Darth Revan wore (before they even found the darn thing, if the Dantooine flashback is any indicator).

Not limiting you to one instance makes sense from an in-universe perspective about the Star Forge's capabilities.

Limiting you to three is probably something done from a gameplay perspective. That's the most you could possibly use (assuming Juhani and Jolee are even capable of wearing the Star Forge Robes), and not letting you make any more stops you from burning through too many spikes.

...Alternatively, it could be that you could only produce one per terminal because most spike-based commands seem to one-time deals.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:30 AM, ZeldaTheSwordsman said:

(assuming Juhani and Jolee are even capable of wearing the Star Forge Robes)

Juhani can wear the Star Forge Robes, just as Bastila can wear Darth Revan's Robes.  Jolee, being flat neutral, can't wear either.