zbyl2

Additional step to get mods running on iOS

Moding mobile versions should be easy, but there's one additional step to get mods running on iOS: that all files must be 100% lower cased, or a game won't read them. so a_Mod.dlg won't work, but a_mod.dlg should be all good.

I intend to go through the Community Patches and all my own mods to convert all files to lowercase, and due to the monotony of such a task, I'm thinking of writing a program to do it. I only own the games on Windows, so it would be help to have someone who owns them on Mac, Linux, and/or iOS and is comfortable with installing mods on any of those systems to be able to test it.

Specifically, I'd like to determine to what extent it's necessary to hex edit model files that reference the names of other files (e.g. textures). If I recall correctly, @A Future Pilot reported that files packaged in RIMs and MODs also have to be renamed, so there may be a similar issue here.

Note that this issue does not affect the Android version. Even though the Android operating system is Unix-based, it is designed to be case insensitive so as to behave with file systems that are not case sensitive. It'd be nice to receive confirmation on that, though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zbyl2 said:

Moding mobile versions should be easy, but there's one additional step to get mods running on iOS: that all files must be 100% lower cased, or a game won't read them. so a_Mod.dlg won't work, but a_mod.dlg should be all good.

Does this same logic apply to 'lip' files? And if so will the lip files still work in lower case even if the audio is in upper case?

Everything must be lower case. That includes audio. Though there are issues playing audio on mobile for now, anyway.

I attempted to mod my KotOR 2 game on itunes, but none of the mods are working. All lower case. Anyone else having an issue installing mods? I used your mobile TSLRC mod, then started adding my own texture mods to the mix, when i added them to the documents section of kotor 2 on iTunes, it all added perfectly, but when i opened the app, nothing was different.

13 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

I intend to go through the Community Patches and all my own mods to convert all files to lowercase, and due to the monotony of such a task, I'm thinking of writing a program to do it. I only own the games on Windows, so it would be help to have someone who owns them on Mac, Linux, and/or iOS and is comfortable with installing mods on any of those systems to be able to test it.

Specifically, I'd like to determine to what extent it's necessary to hex edit model files that reference the names of other files (e.g. textures). If I recall correctly, @A Future Pilot reported that files packaged in RIMs and MODs also have to be renamed, so there may be a similar issue here.

Note that this issue does not affect the Android version. The case sensitivity issue is specific to Unix-based operating systems and should not affect Android applications which run on an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine. So it will only help if you have the game on one of the other systems.

If you do write this program for iOS, I'll be your best friend!

Edited by aidanpscott
more info

Did someone manage to properly test the game with this mod installed? Any noticeable slowdown / FPS drops/ issue?

I'm asking because I have a 9.7-inch iPad Pro and I fear it's not sufficiently "powerful" for this game (the official website states you need to have at least a 5th gen iPad Mini / A12 chip...)

I have a program that I downloaded some time ago for Fallout 1/2 modding that changes file names in bulk. Even just specific letters. Problem is you have to manually choose the name of the file and what you want it changed to in a list before executing the command or whatever tech lingo makes me sound like I know more about tech than I actually do.

I used it to change the names of art files in the Fallout games of which there are a LOT.

Yeah, there is not much benefit if I still have to type out a list. I can write a program that wouldn't require that. That part is no big deal.

What I'm unsure about is whether certain files would have to be edited internally. That's more involved.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:40 AM, zbyl2 said:

Everything must be lower case. That includes audio. Though there are issues playing audio on mobile for now, anyway.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:29 AM, JCarter426 said:

Note that this issue does not affect the Android version. Even though the Android operating system is Unix-based, it is designed to be case insensitive so as to behave with file systems that are not case sensitive. It'd be nice to receive confirmation on that, though.

Aw so that why the romance mods won’t work even if add them :(

sorry future pilot did not mean to ping u @JCarter426 I meant u 

Am glad I read this before trying it though 

Edited by ilego1
Apologies