WarKingDovid

TSL Patcher not installing!

I run a Windows 7 64 bit system, with the GOG version of Knights of the Old Republic.  And I can't for the life of me get K1R Restoration mod or any other mod that uses the TSL Patcher to install.  I'm directing the Installer.exe file to the game directory, I'm getting the same damn error message every single time, "An error occurred!  Error!  No valid game folder selected!  Installation aborted. (GEN-6)."  Before you say it, yes I unpacked the K1R folder from WinRar/WinZip and ran the installer from my desktop, no difference.  Same message and yes I also ran the Installer as admin, no difference same error message!  What am I doing wrong?  Do these mods have to use the TSL Patcher to install?  Someone get me a list of what file goes in what folder!  Please!  This is so infuriating!        

You cannot just drop files into your game directory. If it were that simple we wouldn't need TSLPatcher in the first place.

As for the issue at hand. You already tried most of the obvious stuff. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you pointed the installer to your Override directory instead of the main game folder? It should be pointed to the folder that contains swkotor.exe. IIRC TSLPatcher checks for dialog.tlk to verify that the game directory is valid so maybe check if that file is present in your main game directory.

2 hours ago, Kexikus said:

You cannot just drop files into your game directory. If it were that simple we wouldn't need TSLPatcher in the first place.

As for the issue at hand. You already tried most of the obvious stuff. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you pointed the installer to your Override directory instead of the main game folder? It should be pointed to the folder that contains swkotor.exe. IIRC TSLPatcher checks for dialog.tlk to verify that the game directory is valid so maybe check if that file is present in your main game directory.

See that is the thing I've been wondering.  In the readme for the K1R Restoration Mod it says, "if you're running the english version, drop this dialog.tlk file (the one that comes with the mod) into the game directory."  What the readme failed to explain, is that there already is a dialog.tlk file in the game directory.  Should you replace the dialog.tlk file that is already there?  Or keep both files in the game directory?  And is it the dialog.tlk file that comes with the mod, that the patcher is looking for?  

Furthermore, I can confirm the Installer.exe file is pointed at the game directory and not the Override folder.  swkotor.exe is in that same folder but for some reason, you can't see it.  Unless you peruse through that folder outside of the window that is popped up by the Installer.  The game directory as seen from the installer only shows a list of folders.  Funny story, I was getting frustrated that the Installer wouldn't recognize my game directory, so for the heck of it, I decided to see if it would recognize my Override folder, which it did.  But it dumped everything in the Override, which isn't where it's all supposed to go anyway.  But at least that worked!  

Yeah, TSLPatcher won't show files but only folders when you select the installation directory, that's intended.

The dialog.tlk coming with the mod is intended to replace the one already in your game folder. You are running the English version of the game, right?

A few more things to test:

Have you tried reinstalling the game from scratch? Maybe your installation is actually somehow corrupt.

Go to the tslpatchdata folder of K1R (or whichever mod you're installing) and open changes.ini. There pretty much at the top you should find something like "lookup game path". Set its value to 1 (should be 0 right now). That way the installer should find the game directory automatically.

I think there is a version of TSLPatcher floating around that doesn't have the dialog.tlk check but I don't know where exactly. It might be in K1CP so you could try downloading that mod and use its installer.exe instead of the one coming with K1R. But someone else would have to chime in to verify this.

On 11/3/2020 at 1:51 AM, Kexikus said:

Yeah, TSLPatcher won't show files but only folders when you select the installation directory, that's intended.

The dialog.tlk coming with the mod is intended to replace the one already in your game folder. You are running the English version of the game, right?

A few more things to test:

Have you tried reinstalling the game from scratch? Maybe your installation is actually somehow corrupt.

Go to the tslpatchdata folder of K1R (or whichever mod you're installing) and open changes.ini. There pretty much at the top you should find something like "lookup game path". Set its value to 1 (should be 0 right now). That way the installer should find the game directory automatically.

I think there is a version of TSLPatcher floating around that doesn't have the dialog.tlk check but I don't know where exactly. It might be in K1CP so you could try downloading that mod and use its installer.exe instead of the one coming with K1R. But someone else would have to chime in to verify this.

"Lookup game path"  isn't actually there in changes.ini.  There are however some options that sound similar to what you are describing.  

Here is what is actually there:  

[Settings]
FileExists=1
WindowCaption=KotOR 1 Restoration 1.2
ConfirmMessage=You're sure you want to install this? And you DO have a fresh install of KotOR 1, right?
LogLevel=1
InstallerMode=1
BackupFiles=1
PlaintextLog=0
LookupGameFolder=0
LookupGameNumber=1
SaveProcessedScripts=0

Here are some interesting observations, according to the readme it says,  "Alternatively, a secondary installer has been made for convenience. It will not patch the files like the TSL Patcher will, but it should be less of a headache for most users."    Hmmm, I'm curious, where exactly is this mysterious secondary installer?  It sounds like a way to manually install the mod?  I personally checked all the mod files and it seems to be m.i.a.  The TSL Patcher has already been a headache, a headache that I would like to be gone!  

Edited by WarKingDovid

Not K1R compatible.  Sorry, not what I'm looking for.  But thanks anyway.   With adding a change to the registry, I think I figured it out though.