Dounte

Kotor PC head white and blank portrait

Hi guys,I'm a young modder so I'm new to this.Could someone please help me with my character head,when he is lowest DS,his face is just white and I tested it for other levels of DS and LS.Apparently,the head texture(.tga) files I HAD EDITED was the reason for his face turning white.However,for the original head texture I had extracted from kotortools was perfectly fine when I replaced the head texture with the white DS texture.Could someone please tell me why this is happening and if there is another art tool that I can use to add the DS transition(I used photoshop 2020).I suspect photoshop is involved in this issue

For the portrait,it was just blank(white) despite me having converted a .jpg image to a .tga image and choosing it as my portrait.Could anyone help me with this aswell.Thanks Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

issue.jpg

Edited by Dounte

8 hours ago, Dounte said:

...the head texture(.tga) files I HAD EDITED was the reason for his face turning white.

Face, body or any objects turning all white means the texture can't be loaded by the game for some reasons -- and one of them is an invalid TGA format.

What program did you use to export and edit it? Edit: Disregard. Late to noticed that you're using PS -- sorry, hahah.

Anyway, if you don't mind perhaps you can attach the relevant files for us to inspect. I mean, it could be anything. Like invalid fields for DS transition in heads.2DA, and with the portrait could be something with portraits.2DA. So for a good start I'd say is to see if the exported TGA's valid or not. And what SH asked earlier about the size of portrait is relevant also. Another thing could be with how you convert the JPG to TGA.

Edited by ebmar

8 hours ago, StellarExile said:

Had the same problem myself but in a different way. Maybe try ndix UR's tga2tpc.

Thank you I'll try it out.

6 hours ago, ebmar said:

Face, body or any objects turning all white means the texture can't be loaded by the game for some reasons -- and one of them is an invalid TGA format.

What program did you use to export and edit it? Edit: Disregard. Late to noticed that you're using PS -- sorry, hahah.

Anyway, if you don't mind perhaps you can attach the relevant files for us to inspect. I mean, it could be anything. Like invalid fields for DS transition in heads.2DA, and with the portrait could be something with portraits.2DA. So for a good start I'd say is to see if the exported TGA's valid or not. And what SH asked earlier about the size of portrait is relevant also. Another thing could be with how you convert the JPG to TGA.

Hi,thanks for the reply to my topic.I hope you don't mind the crappy DS transition and the portrait for my PC,apologies.po_mekelh1.tga

N_MekelH02.tga

Edited by Dounte
  • Thanks 1

For the portrait I would guess that it's the resolution. You want your portrait to be a square and more importantly have a power of 2 as width and height. On some GPUs textures won't show otherwise so I guess that's what's happening here.

As for the DS transition the texture looks just fine so I assume that heads.2da is set up wrong or something like that.

4 hours ago, Kexikus said:

For the portrait I would guess that it's the resolution. You want your portrait to be a square and more importantly have a power of 2 as width and height. On some GPUs textures won't show otherwise so I guess that's what's happening here.

As for the DS transition the texture looks just fine so I assume that heads.2da is set up wrong or something like that.

I realise that the issue for why my portraits are not showing is due jpg to tga converter I used.The portrait I had for my PC was originally .jpg but then I used a online converter to convert it to TGA.However,I went to test a few portraits (.tga orignally) from kotortools and used the same software I used(photoshop 2020) and apparently showed up in Kotor so I suspect its the TGA converter that may be the issue here.

If you any recommendations of any converter that converts from jpg to tga and shows up in kotor portrait that would greatly be appreciated :) 

EDIT: I used photoshop for the original .jpg file which led me to believe it was the converter.

Edited by Dounte

I never had to resort to using tpc instead of tga.

There are plugins to make Photoshop able to open & save Targa files. It may take some figuring out how to set it up, but it's the most practical way.
https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/targa-8bi/

I'm attaching my version that I had lying around, including portraits, see if you like them.

P_MekelH01D2.tga PO_pMekelFXD1.tga PO_pMekelFXD2.tga PO_pMekelFX.tga

39 minutes ago, Effix said:

I never had to resort to using tpc instead of tga.

There are plugins to make Photoshop able to open & save Targa files. It may take some figuring out how to set it up, but it's the most practical way.
https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/targa-8bi/

I'm attaching my version that I had lying around, including portraits, see if you like them.

P_MekelH01D2.tga 256.04 kB · 1 download PO_pMekelFXD1.tga 64.04 kB · 1 download PO_pMekelFXD2.tga 64.04 kB · 1 download PO_pMekelFX.tga 64.04 kB · 1 download

Thank you for this kind sir :)

15 hours ago, Dounte said:

I hope you don't mind the crappy DS transition and the portrait for my PC...

It's fine, hahah. Thanks for considering the request anyway.

From how I see things, there are some unusual practice which potentially freak-out the game --

1. As Kexikus said the resolution of the portrait/po_mekelh1 have to be in perfect-square and more importantly as form of power of 2; such as 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 and etc. Yours is 360x450, and the game should gone crazy on that. So I'd suggest to crop it and make it 128x128 -- that's the common-working setup to use for portraits, as either known mods or vanilla itself implements for this game
  2. For the head texture, as been said the texture looks fine - stands in 256x256 dimension. Though I suspect it could be the TGA compression you did which the game didn't like. Your filesize stands in 128 KB for a x256, while mine at 192 KB without compression. Maybe you can try this one and see if it loads [or try not to compress one upon exporting] -- N_MekelH02.tga

If any of those examples didn't work then the problem is in some other places. Could be 2DA, even so model. Or something as simple as invalid filename.

4 hours ago, Dounte said:

If you any recommendations of any converter that converts from jpg to tga and shows up in kotor portrait...

What you're using should be more than sufficient, I guess. Though in your case you might need to install some plugins as Effix said earlier.