Sign in to follow this  
solcelestial

Armor Retexture Help

I am trying to retexure one of the armors but i do not know the file name for it. Was just wondering if there was an easy way to find the file name for armors.

Sometimes it's easiest to just browse through the textures, but that doesn't always work. It's a bit technical, but you can track down the exact name:

The details on appearance.2da here should help:

That combined with checking out appearance.2da should give you the first part of the file name.
The texture ends with a number, that you can look up by opening an item file, or template in KotOR Tool.
This can help track down the template name: https://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotorii/equipment.php
That's for TSL, they also have K1 version.
The formula of the filenames are like:
P[M/F]B[model][texture],
meaning:
P
layer Male/Female Body [model variation] [texture variation]

Random example (TSL):

Jamoh Hogra's Battle Armor
Gamebanshee (or check in game): Max Dexterity Bonus: +2
From "Detailed information of 2da files" post linked above:
f = Armor Class 7 items (Anything with a base defense of 7 and a max Dexterity of 2)
The max dex. part is most important here, you can't tell what the base defense is without opening the template (this one gets +4 defense through item properties on top of the base stats).
KotOR Tool BIFs -> 2da.bif -> 2D Array -> appearance.2da -> column f (texf) = PFBF (female) / PMBF (male)
Back to Gamebanshee, you see "Template: a_medium_15", open the template in KotOR Tool, Kotor II -> BIFs -> Blueprint, Item -> a_medium_15
Now you see "Texture variation" = 6, this should pretty much be the last part of the filename. For these textures a 0 is added to numbers below 10.

KotOR Tool, Kotor II -> ERFs -> swpc_tex_tpa.erf -> PFBF06 / PMBF06

This is very helpful but I cant find my armor on game banshee, the only thing i can think is the armor was added from a mod or something because the armor is just "characters name" armor plate. PLus when i go into kotor tool i cant find the blueprint section under bifs.

swkotor2 2020-10-08 15-36-54.png

Ok i found it using the idea it was a mod i narrowed down the .tga file to files starting with pmb and opened all the textures of the same color and inverted them one by one to find the correct texture for my armor.

Ah, nice, that works. If you sort by date you can probably find the accompanying icon.